Cheap Leather Steering Wheel (2016 GS 350) - Page 2 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

GS - 4th Gen (2013-present) Discussion about the 2013 GS models

Cheap Leather Steering Wheel (2016 GS 350)

Old 08-15-17, 07:01 AM   #16
lovemyGSFS
Rookie

I just can't believe Lexus would call this Wear and tear on a 2016 with 8K miles it's clearly a defect and should be replaced under warranty I'd be bull****
lovemyGSFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-17, 09:11 AM   #17
ssjkev16
Driver School Candidate

speaking of which, the stitching on my steering wheel at 10 o clock and 2 o clock is starting to fray and get a bit loose and my 2013 GS only has 43k miles...
ssjkev16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-17, 02:38 PM   #18
tinachai
Driver School Candidate

Hey there! I have a 2016 RX350 with similar cracking issues on the left hand side of the leather steering wheel. I have no idea what the issue is and I'm super careful with my interior.
tinachai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-17, 02:47 PM   #19
2013FSport
Pole Position

2013 2IS with F-Sport wheel (2012-12 production date) and I just noticed last night there is pealing on the underside of the wheel. Very thin almost made me think it was dipped or repaired. Much disapointment!

Seems like weak sauce to me.
54,000 mi 3rd owner picked up at 52k
2013FSport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-17, 10:32 AM   #20
boiler92
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinachai View Post

Hey there! I have a 2016 RX350 with similar cracking issues on the left hand side of the leather steering wheel. I have no idea what the issue is and I'm super careful with my interior.
Have you tried a leather conditioner?
boiler92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-17, 10:57 AM   #21
tinachai
Driver School Candidate

Boiler92, I've tried it and when I took it to my service dealer yesterday, they took the car in for an hour and put conditioner on it. Today, it looks slightly better but, in all honesty, it looks to me that the topcoat is all worn off. I'm not exactly sure how. The service manager at Lexus says to bring the car in every week to get this done by them. When I asked what leather conditioner they used and if I should buy it, he wouldn't respond. UGH. If this doesn't look better in a couple of months, I think I'll push them to see if they'll replace the leather and/or the whole steering wheel (which I don't prefer).

What happened to your issue? Did it get resolved?
Old 11-02-17, 11:13 AM   #22
boiler92
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Boiler92, I've tried it and when I took it to my service dealer yesterday, they took the car in for an hour and put conditioner on it. Today, it looks slightly better but, in all honesty, it looks to me that the topcoat is all worn off. I'm not exactly sure how. The service manager at Lexus says to bring the car in every week to get this done by them. When I asked what leather conditioner they used and if I should buy it, he wouldn't respond. UGH. If this doesn't look better in a couple of months, I think I'll push them to see if they'll replace the leather and/or the whole steering wheel (which I don't prefer).

What happened to your issue? Did it get resolved?
No resolution. I got a call back in September the day before the Factory Rep was going to be at the dealership. Unfortunately. my schedule didnít allow me to make a trip there on such a last mlnute notification. So Iím at the same point waiting for Factory Rep to look at it.

Honestly, at this point, I doubt they will do anything.

if you are lucky enough to get a Steering Wheel replacement, I wouldnít be worried. Itís a relatively simple job. I have looked at how to do it on my GS if at some point I decide to have leather redone on my own.
Old 11-02-17, 11:41 AM   #23
tinachai
Driver School Candidate

Boiler 92...maybe it's because I've never owned such a nice car that I'm super **** BUT, after all is said and done, I've had paid 60k for this bad boy. So I expect the leather to hold up a hell of a lot better than what I'm seeing. I'm pretty disappointed at this point since I've only had it since April 2016. At what point does a factory rep get called into the process?
Old 11-02-17, 01:46 PM   #24
boiler92
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Boiler 92...maybe it's because I've never owned such a nice car that I'm super **** BUT, after all is said and done, I've had paid 60k for this bad boy. So I expect the leather to hold up a hell of a lot better than what I'm seeing. I'm pretty disappointed at this point since I've only had it since April 2016. At what point does a factory rep get called into the process?
Completely understand your frustration and expectation that after you spend $60k on a Lexus that it not have quality issues like you would see with standard mass-produced vehicle. Talk to your Service Manager. If he/she does not offer anything more than what has already been offered, start a case file with Lexus Customer Care. I would imagine that once they hear your issue and what has been done, that they will set up a Factory Rep to evaluate your complaint.