GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2013 Audi A6 3.0T Quattro Prestige or 2014 Lexus GS 350 F-Sport

Old 07-27-17, 07:27 PM
nealp97
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Audi A6 3.0T Quattro Prestige or 2014 Lexus GS 350 F-Sport

Looking to get a used car and narrowed it down to these two. I have test driven both and still hard to make a decision. I drive faster on average than most I would say (I am only 20 if I can get away with that excuse) I like the acceleration of the Audi but find the Lexus more comfortable and I like the interior more especially the big 12.1 inch screen. Both come with similar packages so mostly interested in how the drive if anyone can give some insight. Also I live in Florida so AWD vs RWD is not really a big problem for me.

Thanks
Old 07-27-17, 07:35 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

You may find AWD helpful on wet streets, it's not just for snow.

Audi's made positive strides in reliability, if that's important to you, though Lexus is still consistently ranked better. Given that you've test driven both, what more are you interested to discover in how they drive?

I've found Audi overall to be very comfortable. The 3.0T is a nice engine. To me, reliability is a key -- so if I were frequently driving a car hard, I'd take the GS over the Audi as it's likely to require less maintenance, if for no other reason than being NA instead of a turbo. But that AWD will give you gobs more traction.

Anyhow...you're the best judge of what's best for you, so what are your top priorities in a car?
Old 07-28-17, 07:30 AM
SuperXer0
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had the same exact audi you are referencing. It is a beautiful car, no doubt. Only reason why i sold it was because the warranty was up. In my opinion, the GS FSport looks better. In the year and a half I've had my lexus, i think i prefer the lexus overall because of the reliability.
Old 07-28-17, 08:29 AM
Socal858
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nealp97
Looking to get a used car and narrowed it down to these two. I have test driven both and still hard to make a decision. I drive faster on average than most I would say (I am only 20 if I can get away with that excuse) I like the acceleration of the Audi but find the Lexus more comfortable and I like the interior more especially the big 12.1 inch screen. Both come with similar packages so mostly interested in how the drive if anyone can give some insight. Also I live in Florida so AWD vs RWD is not really a big problem for me.

Thanks
OP - you're 20 years old and you said you like driving fast. Go have some fun. Get a smaller, decently quick 2 door car and go to some track days. I had a Mustang GT pushing 320rwhp in my early 20s and then a BMW 335i pushing 400+rwhp in my mid 20s. My GS is a better fit for me in my current 30s.

Pick up an M235i / 135i or something. Hell even the new Camaro SS 1LE is winning a ton of praise for its handling abilities
Old 07-28-17, 09:04 AM
primavera
Instructor

Received 302 Likes on 256 Posts

OP, it depends if you want to drive the car and have fun with it, or do you want your car always in the shop?
Old 07-28-17, 10:25 AM
NetEditor
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say it depends on how long you plan on keeping the car. I was considering Audi and BMW along with Lexus. I kept my previous Acura for 13 years. The likelihood that I'd keep my next car for 8+ plus years made me finally decide on the Lexus. Yes, the BMW and Audi have that fun German feel, but I don't want to deal with problems.
Old 07-28-17, 03:19 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Before I got my first GS350, I test drove an A6. It was fast but I wasn't impressed by the way it handled. Plus, I had an A4 and wasn't impressed by Audi's service department (always refused to give loaners), reliability, and higher maintenance costs. I had that A4 for a bit outside of warranty and it was horrible; so many expensive problems (oil consumption problem and AC system broke) came up and I just had to sell it. Since the A6 you're looking at is probably out of warranty, I would steer clear. Go for the GS F-sport.
Old 07-28-17, 03:45 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

1. It's a Lexus board. Probably gonna get more opinions leaning towards the Lexus (certainly mine). If you've asked on the Audi boards, I'm assuming you'll get pro-Audi all day long.

2. My recommendation for a 20 year old that likes fast, quick, etc. Do an IS (at least test drive one if you can). I love my GS but if I had an opportunity to beat the snot out of a quick and small 2 door, the IS would do it.

If you like 4 doors though, GS won't make you sad.

Sal
Old 09-07-17, 08:25 PM
JGS350F
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nealp97

Thanks
I had an 2013 Audi A6 Prestige S-line before just getting my Lexus GS350 F-Sport. I loved the Audi but someone rear ended me bad and there that went. I will give you my thoughts
1. The GS handling feel is a lot better. The Audi, although AWD, does not provide the correct feedback you need to feel confident taking corners at high speed. The car is capable but you just have to trust it more than you can feel it.
2. The Audi is a lot faster in a straight line. The AWD helps, but the supercharger TQ in the low end really pushes the car off the line. In the higher RPMs it kinda levels out, where as in the Lexus you keep going until Redline
3. I love the fact that i have 2 USB ports. The Audi (unless newer model) does not have USB ports and has the MMI cable adapters you have to buy. of course you can always Bluetooth but i like to see the Album art
4. I would say the the Audi has better front seat travel than the Lexus but I am 6'3 so every inch counts. It is not by much tho. I do love the adjustable seats of the Lexus. The Audi seats do not have much side bolstering at all.
5. The Audi is way better on MPG. I could get 33 on the highway in my Audi. The best i gotten on my Lexus is 27.5.
6. Lexus is cheaper to maintain. I had to get a couple of little things fixed, one being a transmission sensor and that was $950. Then to get a front brake service at the dealer is like $800. So if you go with the Audi find an Euro shop in your area.

I would say it is a toss up. If you drive the highway a lot and do and do a lot of long trips i would say the Audi is better. As a daily driver and long term car i would go with the Lexus.

One more thing, I had about 80k on my Audi and they said hard a little Carbon build up, which is a known issue with the 3.0t supercharged engine. They said because mine did not create a check engine light they could not touch it yet, but Audi extended those issues under warranty until 100k.

If there is anything else yo want to know, just let me know.

Both are good cars.