GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Passenger side rattle/click, how to disassemble?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-17, 07:46 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Passenger side rattle/click, how to disassemble?

I have a rattle on the passenger side of my car. Actually, it is more of a clicking noise than a rattle, but anyway... It seems like it is coming from the dash vent near the window, or maybe the dash trim piece right below that vent. Could possibly be coming from the dash itself. Does anyone know how to disassemble this area of the dash so that I can check to make sure everything is tight?

Has anyone else encountered this rattle/click?

Before anyone asks, it is not the rattle that comes from the window switch panel that others have posted DIYs on how to fix.

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.
Old 07-25-17, 07:37 AM
sarmyth
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Your ears are good! At least when it happens on the driver side, it's the result of the metal/wood trim piece "ticking" against the vent plastic. On the driver side, with the very short piece of flavorful trim, you simply pry it out, no screws, just pushin clips, put foam tape on the top and bottom of the trim piece, electrical or foam tap on the outside of the metal pushin clips, and slide it back into place. On the passenger side trim piece, I'd *assume* it's held in the same way and you can simply gently pry it free, but it's significantly longer so perhaps they did something different.

Regardless, you pinpointed the source expertly.
Old 07-25-17, 08:36 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Thanks a lot for the info! I wouldn't be surprised if what you described is my exact problem, just on the passenger side. It sounds like it matches my issue. I will have to look into it.

I think I probably just drive on ****tier roads than most people on these forums, so the rattles are more frequent and are possibly exacerbated by trim pieces and such being loosened over repeated bumps.
Old 07-26-17, 12:44 AM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

I made a video of rattle coming from the passenger side while driving lol and got it fixed from the dealer since the factory warranty was still active
Old 07-26-17, 05:18 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Haha yes, would be nice if I was still under warranty. My dealer isn't so good at fixing rattles anyway. You can always tell they hate it when people come in for that stuff, but you know what, don't sell a $60k car that rattles... Anyway, my car is like 5 years old now, so I don't think a few rattles are that crazy to have. Should be pretty quiet during the warranty period though, IMO.
Old 07-27-17, 06:42 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by CottageChz
Haha yes, would be nice if I was still under warranty. My dealer isn't so good at fixing rattles anyway. You can always tell they hate it when people come in for that stuff, but you know what, don't sell a $60k car that rattles... Anyway, my car is like 5 years old now, so I don't think a few rattles are that crazy to have. Should be pretty quiet during the warranty period though, IMO.
I have 6000 miles on my 2017 GS and both seat belt holder rattle, my sunroof rattles, the passenger seat rattles and there is creaking coming from the rear deck....
I hate hate rattles and every time I go over bumps the whole car pretty much creaks...
I've had it with this car.....
Old 07-27-17, 08:14 AM
Boomin
Racer

Received 399 Likes on 242 Posts

I get creaking sounds from my door, door handle area, a little from moon roof and where my knees hits the center console, passenger side also. car has 25k on it and almost 2.6 years old. still thinking of keeping it
Old 07-27-17, 02:49 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Originally Posted by kingofire
I have 6000 miles on my 2017 GS and both seat belt holder rattle, my sunroof rattles, the passenger seat rattles and there is creaking coming from the rear deck....
I hate hate rattles and every time I go over bumps the whole car pretty much creaks...
I've had it with this car.....
Man, that is rough. I'll trade you my 2013 for your 2017 if you want... sounds like I have less cabin noises.

All joking aside though, that is pretty bad. I hate rattles too, and I feel like brand new luxury cars should NOT have any. I can tolerate a few as the car gets older.

I would definitely go to the dealer and see if they can fix anything, at least the noises that are the loudest. They'll at least say that they tried. I bet they can fix a couple of them. Your car is practically brand new, that's ridiculous.
Old 07-28-17, 06:19 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by CottageChz
Man, that is rough. I'll trade you my 2013 for your 2017 if you want... sounds like I have less cabin noises.

All joking aside though, that is pretty bad. I hate rattles too, and I feel like brand new luxury cars should NOT have any. I can tolerate a few as the car gets older.

I would definitely go to the dealer and see if they can fix anything, at least the noises that are the loudest. They'll at least say that they tried. I bet they can fix a couple of them. Your car is practically brand new, that's ridiculous.
One of the joys in life for me is to shut my radio off and drive aimlessly which relaxes me. I cant do that in this car because the rattles and creaks would drive me crazy. I was talking to my girl on the phone inside my car and she asked me if it was raining but what she was hearing was my sunroof and it was making popping noises.

Yea a trip to the dealer is in order but honestly I'm afraid that chasing all these problems will lead to something else starting to rattle. In my experience, once dealerships start pulling panels, the car just never gets buttoned up tightly again. We'll see. I give the dealership a try, worst case scenario I'll just trade the car and move on from the Lexus brand. I have owned 3 Lexus' and all of them were bad when it came to creaking. Dunno why I keep coming back to this brand.