GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is Lexus killing (discontinuing) the GS Line ? (Merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-18, 06:15 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by garyeh
Shame the GS 450h is going away, it's going to make any existing new/stock that much harder to get a good price, let alone find.
I mean I feel like for lexus its better for the GSF since they don't have to put a premium on top of the hybrid premium. I'm more interested in when the GX and LX since those two are ancient.
Old 08-21-18, 07:36 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

I understand why they might get rid of the 450h as its a really low volume seller and I think folks find it hard to shell out the cash in this segment for the 450h ($70k). I've been in an ES300h and thought it was well executed and it felt punchy because of the electric motor...and its less than $45k (its no GS though!).

It also wouldn't surprise me if the GS F is what helps transform the GS into the car that a lot of us enthusiasts are hoping for. I know its been stated a lot, but it would be nice to see the GS transcend into an AWD (RWD-Biased) performance car that can really compete in the Audi A7, MB CLS, BMW 6 Series segment.

If they can make a new GS compete in that segment in the $60-$65k range I think it would be a hit (i know a lot of folks paid close to $60k for well optioned 4GS F-Sport models).
Old 08-21-18, 07:58 PM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
When I get home tonight I'll be happy to take a pic and post it on here.
Thank you
Old 08-22-18, 12:26 AM
Jtkotze
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Confirmed. GS discontinued in South Africa
dealer saying 2019 ES replacing GS....
Old 08-22-18, 05:47 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

ES is NOT a GS replacement. Lexus trying to convince us of that will fail badly.
Old 08-22-18, 06:00 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
ES is NOT a GS replacement. Lexus trying to convince us of that will fail badly.
I'll bet they could make up the 7k/year sales with the redesigned ES, pretty quickly. It's not that I want to see the GS go, it's just not going to be a case of "failing badly". Eliminating a slow selling vehicle will free up more resources. In the end, it's all about the dollar!
Old 08-22-18, 07:02 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm saying that the thousands of people that are in the market for a GS, will look elsewhere (not Lexus) for their car purchase. If someone buys an ES because a dealer talks them into that over the GS, they don't know what kind of car they want to begin with.

My lease is up in 2 years. At this point, I'm likely going to keep it. See...they already lost a sale.
The following users liked this post:
highrev6 (08-22-18)
Old 08-22-18, 07:21 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Jtkotze
Confirmed. GS discontinued in South Africa
dealer saying 2019 ES replacing GS....

So let’s say the ES line does replace the GS line, not exactly a bad thing from my point of view, considering Lexus might be entering a all new segment with the 5GS and elevating it to a even higher level of luxury and performance.

Current 4GS competes with E class, A6, XF, 5 series, CTS, S90, Q80, G80

2019 7ES takes over as traditional midsize 3 box luxury sedan from Lexus and maintains its 45k sales a year in the segment.

2020 5GS could potentially target A7/S7, CLS450/53 AMG, 8 series GC/M8 GC, Panamera.

Old 08-22-18, 08:07 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by highrev6

So let’s say the ES line does replace the GS line, not exactly a bad thing from my point of view, considering Lexus might be entering a all new segment with the 5GS and elevating it to a even higher level of luxury and performance.

Current 4GS competes with E class, A6, XF, 5 series, CTS, S90, Q80, G80

2019 7ES takes over as traditional midsize 3 box luxury sedan from Lexus and maintains its 45k sales a year in the segment.

2020 5GS could potentially target A7/S7, CLS450/53 AMG, 8 series GC/M8 GC, Panamera.

This would be ideal, I have been waiting for lexus to enter the GC segment with something mind blowing. Still hoping!
Old 08-22-18, 04:05 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I'll bet they could make up the 7k/year sales with the redesigned ES, pretty quickly. It's not that I want to see the GS go, it's just not going to be a case of "failing badly". Eliminating a slow selling vehicle will free up more resources. In the end, it's all about the dollar!
Then they should get rid of the LS460/LS500, RC350/F, LC500, and LX first as they all sell worse then the GS. This is not just about sales, if it was they would get rid of other models that sell worse, it seems more about they don't want to do what they have to do to make the GS more appealing, they just don't really know what to do, they are just being lazy and would rather just try to make a ES take the place of the GS which will not work.

Old 08-22-18, 04:21 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Then they should get rid of the LS460/LS500, RC350/F, LC500, and LX first as they all sell worse then the GS. This is not just about sales, if it was they would get rid of other models that sell worse, it seems more about they don't want to do what they have to do to make the GS more appealing, they just don't really know what to do, they are just being lazy and would rather just try to make a ES take the place of the GS which will not work.
With the exception of the RC, the profit margin makes up for the lower sales. Because they have the ES, the GS is just in a bad spot. Get it while you can!
Old 08-22-18, 05:45 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Lexus wants (needs) certain models for their image. You just can't put a price on the 'Image' of a car brand like Lexus, it's truly invaluable - priceless. The Lexus LFA was a huge negative in terms of both revenue and profit when compared to the engineering, design and hand-built costs to make a few hundred units. Lexus knew full-well it would be major red ink on the P&L, but Lexus thought it fit-the-bill nicely to stimulate and excite the automotive elites that wanted to see a Lexus super-car at the track. Image met!

To a far lesser extent compared to the LFA, the LC500 is also needed for 'image'. Yes, the LC500 is expensive, but do you really think if Lexus was forced to give up one of three models - either the LC500, the ES or the RX - that Lexus would choose to give up either of the latter two models? No way would they give up the ES or RX. I strongly suspect the same can be said for the GS and RC models as the LC500. These models are needed for Lexus' image. It's not about the revenue and profits the 'image' models make for Lexus. In fact, in all likelihood profits made on the ES and RX are probably used to make the 'image' models possible. Can you say that buyers of the strong selling ES and RX models are supporting some of the other models? I say; Yes! Call it a good business strategy or whatever you like, but the plan works. If you ever get a chance to see, drive or own a LFA make sure you tell Grandma driving her ES350 'thank you' for helping to make the LFA possible. And, that goes for the LC500, the RC350 and the GS350 too. Otherwise, Lexus' invaluable image would not be near what it is...
The following 2 users liked this post by bclexus:
highrev6 (08-22-18), signdetres (08-22-18)
Old 08-22-18, 06:45 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 398 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Lexus wants (needs) certain models for their image. You just can't put a price on the 'Image' of a car brand like Lexus, it's truly invaluable - priceless. The Lexus LFA was a huge negative in terms of both revenue and profit when compared to the engineering, design and hand-built costs to make a few hundred units. Lexus knew full-well it would be major red ink on the P&L, but Lexus thought it fit-the-bill nicely to stimulate and excite the automotive elites that wanted to see a Lexus super-car at the track. Image met!

To a far lesser extent compared to the LFA, the LC500 is also needed for 'image'. Yes, the LC500 is expensive, but do you really think if Lexus was forced to give up one of three models - either the LC500, the ES or the RX - that Lexus would choose to give up either of the latter two models? No way would they give up the ES or RX. I strongly suspect the same can be said for the GS and RC models as the LC500. These models are needed for Lexus' image. It's not about the revenue and profits the 'image' models make for Lexus. In fact, in all likelihood profits made on the ES and RX are probably used to make the 'image' models possible. Can you say that buyers of the strong selling ES and RX models are supporting some of the other models? I say; Yes! Call it a good business strategy or whatever you like, but the plan works. If you ever get a chance to see, drive or own a LFA make sure you tell Grandma driving her ES350 'thank you' for helping to make the LFA possible. And, that goes for the LC500, the RC350 and the GS350 too. Otherwise, Lexus' invaluable image would not be near what it is...
Yes, the ES probably makes them a huge profit because it is a cheap to build (same platform/drive train as the Avalon/Camry) and lets people feel the prestige of Lexus for less. Personally, I know better and have never been a fan of FWD because I know more about cars than to believe a FWD car can compete with a RWD/AWD platform for stability and performance.

I bought my first Lexus in Jan of 2018, a used 2013 GS 350 AWD. I almost bought a Q50 AWD but this had more bells and whistles (that I didn't really need) for the same money. If they do away with the RWD platform in my price range, my first Lexus will be my last. I dare say those that won't tolerate a FWD performance sedan are likely to feel the same way.
Old 08-23-18, 07:05 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
...FWD performance sedan....
ROFLOL!
The following users liked this post:
Knucklebus (08-23-18)
Old 08-23-18, 07:32 AM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If they do get rid of the GS and don't replace it with a comparable non existing model (I don't want an ES), I will look elsewhere.

Quick Reply: Is Lexus killing (discontinuing) the GS Line ? (Merged threads)