GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is Lexus killing (discontinuing) the GS Line ? (Merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-18, 05:10 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Could this be fake news from an anonymous source? It sounds like what CNN and MSNBC provides their audience on a regular basis...
The following 3 users liked this post by bclexus:
highrev6 (03-06-18), Jayson (03-07-18), natnut (03-06-18)
Old 03-06-18, 06:15 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Could this be fake news from an anonymous source? It sounds like what CNN and MSNBC provides their audience on a regular basis...
Couldn't agree more!
Old 03-07-18, 12:35 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Sure the market is moving towards crossovers, but if the very low volume selling Benz CLS, BM 6 Series & Audi A7 Fastbacks aren't being axed, then why should the better selling GS be axed?
The following users liked this post:
Jayson (03-07-18)
Old 03-07-18, 08:14 AM
Superman60
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like somebody did exactly what they were trying to do, start up a lot of confusion.
Old 03-07-18, 08:27 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I'll still wait for anything official from Lexus.

And for what it's worth, in 2017 the GS sold more than the LS, LX, LC, and RC. If sales were all that mattered, the Lexus line would already be much smaller.
The following 2 users liked this post by JDR76:
highrev6 (03-07-18), natnut (03-07-18)
Old 03-07-18, 08:53 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

If I was going to place bets either one or two things are happening-

-It's all BS and this is just a bunch of salesman crap to get people to buy slow moving inventory
OR
-The GS350 as we know it is going to die; but that doesn't mean the GS is gone entirely- I'm betting on a performance oriented re-roll in the next few years, with a motor similar to that TT V6 that's currently in the LS500.... maybe it only lives on as an F car, etc... plus adding AWD, but nobody will care, and everyone that really likes a GS350 will buy into it if its done right. There's an entire class of 4GS owners that would spend a few extra $$$ and move into that kind of car. Take the design cues from the LS500, downscale the size a little bit, emeril BAM, now you have a new sedan.

-Mike
natnut (03-07-18)
Old 03-07-18, 08:58 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

^^^ I pretty much agree with Mike.

I think Lexus will further differentiate the GS and ES. In the earlier generations, they were much more dissimilar than they are now. The GS was a class size bigger, had more options, including a V8, etc.

With the current generation of ES and GS, they've made them the same size (when they moved the ES up to the Avalon size from Camry size), styled them much more similarly, etc.

I think the new ES will have the Avalon/Camry V6 (2GR-FKS) whereas the GS will move up to a TTV6 with a sleeker style.
Old 03-07-18, 09:35 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
^^^ I pretty much agree with Mike.

I think Lexus will further differentiate the GS and ES. In the earlier generations, they were much more dissimilar than they are now. The GS was a class size bigger, had more options, including a V8, etc.

With the current generation of ES and GS, they've made them the same size (when they moved the ES up to the Avalon size from Camry size), styled them much more similarly, etc.

I think the new ES will have the Avalon/Camry V6 (2GR-FKS) whereas the GS will move up to a TTV6 with a sleeker style.
I agree totally with you and Mike.

The 5th generation base GS will probably continue using a updated 2.0 liter i4 with a slight bump in hp to about 250hp.

The mid range model will receive the new 3.5l twin turbo V6 from the LS500 possibly in two separate tunes 350 and 420 hp for the F Sport.

The hybrid 5th generation GSh will gain AWD for the first time and get the 2GR-FXS 3.5l V6 with electric motors from the LS500h.

the top model GS-F should get the rumored 4.0l twin turbo V8 with roughly 600 hp and loads of torque, they hopefully will offer it with AWD to better compete in the snow belt market and to have better grip for when used during spirited driving.

Toyota/Lexus will never ever recuperate their billion dollar development cost spent to engineer the new RWD bias GA-L platform just depending on the sales of the LS, LC and future IS models. The Toyota Crown isn’t being discontinued in Japan and it shares literally everything with the GS mechanically. I just hope they style it like a 4 door coupé instead of a traditional sedan 3 box design. This rumor of the GS model dying is a hoax. I call bull****.

Last edited by highrev6; 03-07-18 at 06:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by highrev6:
Knucklebus (03-07-18), natnut (03-07-18)
Old 03-07-18, 12:57 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XBROKER
Speculation
Everything is speculation at this point. But we do have this:

LEXUS Australia chief executive Peter McGregor has rejected reports that the next-generation GS large car has been cancelled, pointing instead to a possible evolution of the traditional sedan into a more fashionable coupe-style model.
https://www.goauto.com.au/news/lexus...-09/57412.html

And we have this:

Gazoo Racing will also have a relationship with Lexus’s F performance division going forward. Tomayama said that GR is already involved with developing a new Lexus GS F.
https://blog.caranddriver.com/toyota...ew-lexus-gs-f/
natnut (03-07-18)
Old 03-07-18, 01:18 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

So regarding source, I can't give that info. Same situation as I stated a while back when I was given new engine and trans specs for the GS when the full redesign was on the table.

You can say I am full of ***** or what I am relaying is plausible. I am just letting the forum know what I was told from someone in the industry (not at the dealership level). I have no vested interest is seeing the line get killed off since I do like my GS quite a bit and am not ready to go to couch style driving (LS).

As I said, I hope this is not true or Lexus reverses course and moves forward with the redesign/engine/trans specs I was told previously.

Last edited by Davenlei; 03-07-18 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-09-18, 07:41 PM
Lenscap2
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently attended the Lexus Driving Tour and spoke with a corporate Lexus guy (not one of the folks from the marketing firm hosting the event). He confirmed the GS is being discontinued, although the GS-F will continue for a few more years. He added the LF-1 was approved for production and will be on sale in two years.
Old 06-09-18, 08:18 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by Lenscap2
I recently attended the Lexus Driving Tour and spoke with a corporate Lexus guy (not one of the folks from the marketing firm hosting the event). He confirmed the GS is being discontinued, although the GS-F will continue for a few more years. He added the LF-1 was approved for production and will be on sale in two years.
The GS F part of what you were told would coincide with JDR76's link regarding Toyota's relationship with Gazoo Racing for being involved with a new/updated GS F. The more and more I see the reviews of the new 7ES, its look esp. with the F-Sport version, the more I can understand the potential discontinuation of the current GS line in a few years.

Enthusiasts won't be attracted the ES but simply adding the F-Sport line can only help sales giving more options to the ES line (base, luxury, f-sport, hybrid). Although, most of the reviews confirm that even though the ES looks sharp and is probably the sportiest ES to date, it simply doesn't drive like a GS.

I know it probably won't happen but an AWD GS F would be great...hey we can always dream right??

Last edited by AJLex19; 06-09-18 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-09-18, 09:23 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Interesting he would risk his job to leak important details about future product development & relase dates to a consumer. I work for a Toyota affiliate and we were just speaking about the rumored future Toyota sports car in lengthy conference call. I was reminded that Toyota has no tolerance policy for loose lipped employees who leak internal information.

Regarding the ES replacing the GS this dead horse has been kicked and beat beyond belief, at this point if Toyota decides to kick the bucket on fun to drive medium sized sport sedans I’m kinda over it and looking at buying a German daily driver once my 4GS bites the dust. All the 7ES reviews basically say the ES drives like a fancier Camry V6 or Hybrid which isn’t a terrible thing, but the exact reason why I would decide to walk away from the brand all together vowing never to return.
Old 06-09-18, 11:47 PM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
I know it probably won't happen but an AWD GS F would be great...hey we can always dream right??
Only reason why I settled with the GS350 instead of the GSF... I need AWD!
Old 06-10-18, 10:19 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
Only reason why I settled with the GS350 instead of the GSF... I need AWD!
I hear ya man - nothing like a good V8. Even though the 4GS has 300+hp, it doesn't feel as strong as my old GS430 (probably just because of more torque at a lower rpm making the 430 feel so powerful).

If the GS F had AWD, i'd probably be looking to trade up. I've seen some great deals on 2016 GS Fs lately in the $50-$55k range w/certification. If they continue with the GS F only, at least we can get great deals in four years on 2018/2019 GS350's :-)

Quick Reply: Is Lexus killing (discontinuing) the GS Line ? (Merged threads)