GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is Lexus killing (discontinuing) the GS Line ? (Merged threads)

Old 08-19-17, 02:21 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Car salesman generally know less then most enthusiasts here. Lexus is not going to tell car salesman important information they don't want the public to know about.

I don't know if a 4 door coupe/liftback replacing the GS is going to be the greatest idea. For one thing it could end up looking bad, drive no better then a regular sedan, and be cramped with limited headroom. These 4 door coupes have limited appeal and sales too, much less so then a regular sedan so sales will likely go down even more especially if the price goes up. Most companies offer a regular sedan along with a coupe like sedan, not just a coupe like sedan.
If the sales are the problem all Lexus really has to do to the car is throw a turbo or supercharged V6 in this thing, IMHO. The cars look great, they drive great, the ONLY valid whine I can come up with on a 4th gen GS is its not QUITE as fast as much of its competition. They could get away with it if it would hit 5 sec 0-60 out of the box. I think the other underlying problem is the sedan market is shrinking drastically, most americans are being dumbasses and buying lots of ugly *** cute-utes and SUVs instead of sedans because of this perception of being "more practical" or some BS like that. This is causing a market where there are a crapload of sedan choices and not enough people buying them. I have no doubt that other manufacturers have been hurt as well in this segment, although some like Lexus seem to be getting hurt worse than others. The sad thing is I think some manufacturers are going to do retarded things in an effort to move more of their product, it makes me cringe at the thought... but I digress.

-Mike
Old 08-19-17, 04:14 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Car salesman generally know less then most enthusiasts here. Lexus is not going to tell car salesman important information they don't want the public to know about.

I don't know if a 4 door coupe/liftback replacing the GS is going to be the greatest idea. For one thing it could end up looking bad, drive no better then a regular sedan, and be cramped with limited headroom. These 4 door coupes have limited appeal and sales too, much less so then a regular sedan so sales will likely go down even more especially if the price goes up. Most companies offer a regular sedan along with a coupe like sedan, not just a coupe like sedan.
This is the old tall boxy practical 2003-08 Toyota Crown.
Below is the old low roofline swoopy four door coupe-like 2005-12 Lexus 3GS sharing the same platform and engines.

Yet, the old 3GS debuted in 2005 with 33,457 sales, followed by 27,390, then 23,381 before the Global Financial Crisis hit in September 2008.
The current 4GS was supposedly designed to be taller, boxier, more practical and spacious, yet managed to debut in 2012 with only 22,160, followed by an even more dismal 19,742, before picking up a little the next two years.

I guess Lexus may already have a regular midsize sedan in the ES range, and this makes the four door coupe possible, especially with proven 3GS sales back in 2005.
Thus, I wouldn't be at all surprized if Lexus was going back to the old formula of providing a spacious, practical soft riding stretched wheelbase front drive Camry/Avalon based 7ES, supported by a return to the swoopy four door coupe in the 5GS.

One might say, but the ES is only front drive with cheap single lower link MacPherson strut suspension, as opposed to rear drive with premium double wishbone front suspension - very true, but that's up to TMC to address.
However keep in mind that the same budget based RX competes with GLE, X5 & Q7 with more premium underpinnings, yet in 2016, the RX was America's best selling luxury motor vehicle with 109,000+ units...

Last edited by peteharvey; 08-19-17 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-19-17, 07:26 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by drgrant
If the sales are the problem all Lexus really has to do to the car is throw a turbo or supercharged V6 in this thing, IMHO. The cars look great, they drive great, the ONLY valid whine I can come up with on a 4th gen GS is its not QUITE as fast as much of its competition. They could get away with it if it would hit 5 sec 0-60 out of the box. I think the other underlying problem is the sedan market is shrinking drastically, most americans are being dumbasses and buying lots of ugly *** cute-utes and SUVs instead of sedans because of this perception of being "more practical" or some BS like that. This is causing a market where there are a crapload of sedan choices and not enough people buying them. I have no doubt that other manufacturers have been hurt as well in this segment, although some like Lexus seem to be getting hurt worse than others. The sad thing is I think some manufacturers are going to do retarded things in an effort to move more of their product, it makes me cringe at the thought... but I digress.

-Mike
I feel the same way. I don't get the cute ute or CUV thing either and why they are so popular. For me it is sedans and coupes all the way, never had any desire for a CUV, though there are a few I could maybe live with if I had to. I do think CUV sales will eventually die down and sedan sales will start to pick up if automakers start really making their sedans attractive and give them more features.

I don't know if it is just the performance that would help the GS get out of its sales slump though I would love for some more power and acceleration from the GS350 and GS line, I think them dropping the 8 cylinder was a huge mistake and using a carryover over 6 cylinder with the same hp and maybe slightly less performance/acceleration hurt the perception of the GS a bit especially to enthusiasts. It has not helped that Genesis has a good looking roomier mid sized sedan out with a 400+hp 8 cylinder and 365hp 6 cylinder for less money and it is selling well while the 2016 GS got a not so great looking styling makeover/grill, a lame base 4cyl, 6 cylinder went up in price and lease deals are not very good.

The problem also lies with the similar sized/optioned/looking ES where the GS is not seen by most as a big enough step up to justify the premium. If it were not for the ES I am sure GS sales would be a good deal higher but since the ES is here to stay they need to separate the 2 cars more by more interior room in the GS, much more power/performance, much nicer interior, more unique look, more features and luxury you can't get in the ES.
Old 08-19-17, 07:44 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
This is the old tall boxy practical 2003-08 Toyota Crown.
Below is the old low roofline swoopy four door coupe-like 2005-12 Lexus 3GS sharing the same platform and engines.

Yet, the old 3GS debuted in 2005 with 33,457 sales, followed by 27,390, then 23,381 before the Global Financial Crisis hit in September 2008.
The current 4GS was supposedly designed to be taller, boxier, more practical and spacious, yet managed to debut in 2012 with only 22,160, followed by an even more dismal 19,742, before picking up a little the next two years.

I guess Lexus may already have a regular midsize sedan in the ES range, and this makes the four door coupe possible, especially with proven 3GS sales back in 2005.
Thus, I wouldn't be at all surprized if Lexus was going back to the old formula of providing a spacious, practical soft riding stretched wheelbase front drive Camry/Avalon based 7ES, supported by a return to the swoopy four door coupe in the 5GS.

One might say, but the ES is only front drive with cheap single lower link MacPherson strut suspension, as opposed to rear drive with premium double wishbone front suspension - very true, but that's up to TMC to address.
However keep in mind that the same budget based RX competes with GLE, X5 & Q7 with more premium underpinnings, yet in 2016, the RX was America's best selling luxury motor vehicle with 109,000+ units...

The 3 GS did sell better but it was a different time too, Genesis did not exist, don't think some other competitors were out or doing well. I don't think the ES was as large as it is now. 3GS had a nice 8 cylinder, for the time a very impressive 6 cylinder, and a pretty good performing hybrid. 4GS dropped 8 cylinder, had a carryover 6 cylinder with lower performance, and a slower really expensive hybrid.

I don't really like the look of the 3GS, never did, just don't like fast back styling on sedans but it is not a low 4 door coupe, I don't think there were headroom issues in the front or back of the 3GS like there somewhat is or was with the CLS and 6 series Grancoupe. I am not sure why the 3GS has sold better then the 2013-2015 GS as I find the 4th Gen GS much better looking though I am one of the few that was never much of a fan of its interior design. I think the 3rd Gen GS was seen as a big enough step up over the ES at the time where the 4th Gen GS is just not seen as big enough of a step up to justify the premium for most buyers.

My issue is if they really go for a low slung 4 door coupe like the first CLS where headroom was a issue or noticeable compared to regular sedans and the GS become more of a niche car and a even lower seller. I still really like the styling of the first Gen CLS though. Mercedes has the E class for buyers who want more room, it may be a mistake not to also offer a regular RWD mid size sedan for the GS line.
Old 01-27-18, 01:24 PM
GS350MIKE
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Lexus Discontinuing the GS model. What do you think?

Apparently my dealership confirmed that the 2018 is the end of the line for the GS. Hard to believe that US sport luxury sedan buyers are so biased to BMW, MBZ and Audi that the GS low sales have lead to my favorite car reaching end of life.

This leaves Lexus without a full size rear wheel drive Sport/ Luxury Sedan. Unless they have other plans? Anyone know more?
Old 01-27-18, 01:58 PM
raygun17
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the heads up. I was hoping this was not the case.
Old 01-27-18, 02:02 PM
Boomin
Racer

Received 396 Likes on 241 Posts

The new ES will look amazing, stepping in for the GS
The following users liked this post:
psinsyd (01-28-18)
Old 01-27-18, 02:22 PM
porkchop
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They're dropping the GS?? That really sucks, they put so much work into this model year, its really been the only car I've owned that I can't find anything wrong with (except the seat heaters). Had a loaner IS during my 60k service and I couldn't stand the user experience from the driver seat.
Old 01-27-18, 02:46 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomin
The new ES will look amazing, stepping in for the GS
That looks like a photoshop based on the latest Camry using GS-F headlights and wheels.
Old 01-27-18, 04:10 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

I just bought a new GS in December and probably spoke to a couple dozen dealers and not one knew for sure what the future of the GS is. It's pure rumor and speculation at this point. Every dealer I spoke with said Lexus is staying quite on the GS.
Old 01-27-18, 04:20 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

They haven’t canceled it. Find a direct confirmation from Toyota/Lexus (hint, there isn’t one).

Last edited by JDR76; 01-27-18 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-27-18, 06:03 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350MIKE
Apparently my dealership confirmed that the 2018 is the end of the line for the GS. Hard to believe that US sport luxury sedan buyers are so biased to BMW, MBZ and Audi that the GS low sales have lead to my favorite car reaching end of life.

This leaves Lexus without a full size rear wheel drive Sport/ Luxury Sedan. Unless they have other plans? Anyone know more?
did you believe them? When is the last time they told the truth.. lol
Old 01-27-18, 06:21 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

This has been an ongoing rumor since last year. I also heard the GS wasn't being cancelled, but rather the ES would fill the GS spot, and the GS would become an A7/CLS/6 series type car, but again these are just rumors.
highrev6 (01-27-18)
Old 01-27-18, 06:52 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 398 Likes on 282 Posts

The ES is a poor substitute from a mechanical standpoint. As I've stated before I'm a rear wheel drive bigot. I guess my next will be an Infiniti if they disco the GS.
highrev6 (01-27-18)
Old 01-27-18, 07:18 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,413 Posts

Apparently my dealership confirmed that Toyota/Lexus has reached a deal to acquire both Daimler AG (Mercedes-Benz) and also BMW (excluding Mini and Rolls-Royce). The deal is supposed to close by the end of 2018.

GS350MIKE - What do you think?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is Lexus killing (discontinuing) the GS Line ? (Merged threads)