GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is Lexus killing (discontinuing) the GS Line ? (Merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-19, 05:14 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
Nobody has confirmed the GS is being discontinued so heed your own advice.
It’s been confirmed by several members on this board with access to Toyota’s development program. The development of Lexus GS has been put on hold. Maybe development will resume in future, maybe not, but as of today they are not working on the GS. There are speculations that the next IS will grow in size. Time will tell.
Old 05-16-19, 06:01 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
It’s been confirmed by several members on this board with access to Toyota’s development program. The development of Lexus GS has been put on hold. Maybe development will resume in future, maybe not, but as of today they are not working on the GS. There are speculations that the next IS will grow in size. Time will tell.
Call me convinced.

All these same "confirmations" were talked about in 2011 as well when no 2012 GS was announced in the US. I'll wait until Lexus releases official word. The last interview from a Lexus corporate VP in NA was the the GS was an important part of Lexus NA heritage and that there were no plans to abandon the platform (paraphrased).

Everyone knows something, eh?
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (05-16-19)
Old 05-16-19, 06:54 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Wouldn't we have already seen mules at this point, if they were going to do the 5GS?
Old 05-16-19, 07:08 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Yeah it was confirmed when I went to the Lexus auto show in NY. Basically he stated that when the ES gets the AWD the GS won't be anymore from what he stated, so sad. I don't care what Lexus says about the ES being comparable to the GS in terms of quality and feel its close but not the same. I think Lexus having the ES and GS was the problem they should have gotten rid of the ES so those owners buy the GS or the IS and then make a smaller affordable car to replace it.
Old 05-16-19, 07:30 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 614 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Y... I think Lexus having the ES and GS was the problem they should have gotten rid of the ES so those owners buy the GS or the IS and then make a smaller affordable car to replace it.
Shooting yourself in the foot is never a good business practice.
Old 05-16-19, 07:37 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 398 Likes on 282 Posts

Yeah it was confirmed when I went to the Lexus auto show in NY. Basically he stated that when the ES gets the AWD the GS won't be anymore from what he stated, so sad. I don't care what Lexus says about the ES being comparable to the GS in terms of quality and feel its close but not the same. I think Lexus having the ES and GS was the problem they should have gotten rid of the ES so those owners buy the GS or the IS and then make a smaller affordable car to replace it.
I'll move to another brand then. I'm a rear wheel drive (or AWD by extension) bigot. If the primary drive wheels are in the front or the motor sits sideways, I'm out. It is a cheaper, lesser vehicle if they go FWD/AWD.

My GS350 AWD was my first Lexus and I won't own another one if I don't have the option of a RWD biased vehicle. I'll either go to Infiniti or back to pickups.
Old 05-16-19, 07:40 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by Mike728
Shooting yourself in the foot is never a good business practice.
Lol true but I'm just clearly not understanding Lexus view on discontinuing the GS seeing as no cross shopper of a BMW 5 series will look at a ES even a Mercedes E class shopper.
Old 05-16-19, 07:44 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

My unsolicited opinion on the ES and GS situation...

The ES and GS co-existed, successfully, for many years. I think they did quite well when Lexus did a good job of differentiating the two products. The ES was smaller than the GS, and they really didn't share styling queues.

I think the ES became an issue for the GS when they moved the ES up to the Avalon platform/size and styled them pretty similarly. Even being a huge Lexus fan and GS lover, it can take me a moment to figure out if an oncoming car is a GS or an ES, especially the 2013-2015 GS (non F Sport) and the 2013-2015 ES.

So this created a situation where perhaps the biggest reason to choose the GS over the ES was the RWD platform and the way it drives. This matters much to enthusiasts, but to the average Joe walking into a Lexus dealer who wants a mid sized luxury car, the GS becomes a near impossible sell versus the ES, which can be had for considerably less, offers similar styling, and a much larger interior.

I do believe that Lexus does not have a current plan to replace the GS, though I wholly admit nothing has been announced and we won't know for sure until then. If Lexus wants to continue on with the GS, it's my opinion that they have to really work to differentiate it from the ES. Styling that stands apart, more power, etc.

And to contribute to the "my dealer says" comments...when I picked up my 19 GS in February, my salesman (been at the dealer for over 20 years now) told me that they have heard absolutely nothing in regards to the future of the GS. They anxiously await the news. He said the GS doesn't sell in large numbers, but GS owners are good repeat customers who keep coming back for another GS, and he doesn't want to lose those folks.
Old 05-16-19, 08:14 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by JDR76

The ES and GS co-existed, successfully, for many years. I think they did quite well when Lexus did a good job of differentiating the two products. The ES was smaller than the GS, and they really didn't share styling queues.

I think the ES became an issue for the GS when they moved the ES up to the Avalon platform/size and styled them pretty similarly. Even being a huge Lexus fan and GS lover, it can take me a moment to figure out if an oncoming car is a GS or an ES, especially the 2013-2015 GS (non F Sport) and the 2013-2015 ES.

So this created a situation where perhaps the biggest reason to choose the GS over the ES was the RWD platform and the way it drives. This matters much to enthusiasts, but to the average Joe walking into a Lexus dealer who wants a mid sized luxury car, the GS becomes a near impossible sell versus the ES, which can be had for considerably less, offers similar styling, and a much larger interior.

I do believe that Lexus does not have a current plan to replace the GS, though I wholly admit nothing has been announced and we won't know for sure until then. If Lexus wants to continue on with the GS, it's my opinion that they have to really work to differentiate it from the ES. Styling that stands apart, more power, etc.

And to contribute to the "my dealer says" comments...when I picked up my 19 GS in February, my salesman (been at the dealer for over 20 years now) told me that they have heard absolutely nothing in regards to the future of the GS. They anxiously await the news. He said the GS doesn't sell in large numbers, but GS owners are good repeat customers who keep coming back for another GS, and he doesn't want to lose those folks.
The dealers have been looking at the fact that they can't get a GS for 2020 that's all they are basing it off of and is the sole reason I take there words with a grain of salt. When I heard it from a Lexus Rep it really made me think it could be more real than I thought.
The following users liked this post:
JDR76 (05-16-19)
Old 05-16-19, 08:16 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The dealers have been looking at the fact that they can't get a GS for 2020 that's all they are basing it off of and is the sole reason I take there words with a grain of salt. When I heard it from a Lexus Rep it really made me think it could be more real than I thought.
Yeah, like I said, I think it's real too. Hopefully it's just a hiatus.
Old 05-16-19, 08:41 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

New 2020 GS!

Old 05-16-19, 09:40 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Luffy808
The REAL question is your facts straight on Lexus discontinuing the LS due to sales in the near future?! Please don’t imply things that are NOT fact! Lexus has discontinued the GS due to the ES taking over! please get your facts straight and not put things that you “think” may happen!
What in the world are you talking about? Did you even read my post. I said nothing about the LS being discontinued. I never implied it either. Actually you are the one who is spreading false facts and implying false information. There has been zero confirmation from Toyota/Lexus that they are officially killing the GS so I am not sure why you are saying they have already discontinuing it, actually a few weeks ago there was some hint that the GS may live on from someone at Toyota.

In case you did not understand the first time I will say it again, what I was saying is since new LS sales are poor for the last few months it may give Lexus more thought on whether they want to discontinue the GS if people are not likely to move to a LS if they want something nicer then a ES, it leaves a reason to do another GS. Because LS sales are poor there will be a huge gap in the lineup between the ES and LS not only in price but buyers if Lexus were to kill the GS, that will be a major problem, adding AWD on a ES does not suddenly make it a 5 series or E class competitor or allow it to take the place of the GS, if it was that easy they would have just done that 25 years ago. It does not make much sense to kill a important sedan in a important sedan segment just because sales are not so hot, instead of killing the GS they should make a better one.
Old 05-16-19, 09:45 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

A Lexus rep at a auto show does not have inside info at Lexus to confirm or deny that, he is speculating like some that a awd ES will somehow take the place of the GS and be competitive with a 5 series or E class which is not even true.
Old 05-16-19, 09:51 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

You guys would be better served by discussing whether it will be sunny or cloudy on the 3rd day of February of 2020 in Fargo, North Dakota at 10:10 am.
Old 05-16-19, 09:54 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76

I agree. The GS needs to have unique styling, a interior that is much nicer and at least the same size or slightly larger then the ES for it to be any kind of success, since the LS is selling poorly I don't think they should hold back just because of the LS in the interior room department or power department. The GS and ES have been too close in looks and size for too long, the GS used to be a pretty nice step up from the ES in looks, performance, interior, quality, etc but now they are too close while the price premium for the GS is too high. I think most dealers are just going by current allocation where there are almost no GS's on the lot and maybe they are not hearing anything so they assume it is dead and passing that off as fact, we might not see a 2020 GS but that does not mean they are killing it and there won't be a 2021 model. With sales of the LS being poor there is more reason to still offer a GS that rights many of the LS's wrongs.

Quick Reply: Is Lexus killing (discontinuing) the GS Line ? (Merged threads)