Wrapping interior of my GS350 with suede

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-21, 01:13 AM
Ca12bon
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wrapping interior of my GS350 with suede

Hi guys,
So it's been 1 week since I got my "new to me" GS350. I'm so in love with it words cannot do justice. Anyways, I've always been a fan of the S63 coupe interiors (especially the beige/white yacht look with the ambient lights), so I've decided to *try* to do something similar.
Please note that I haven't done much DIY work before, so this may look like a hack job done by a 5 year old. *However* it still turned out pretty decent, so I thought I may as well share what I did with you guys, in case anyone wants to try it out.

[Items purchased]
1. 3m 77 spray glue
2. Suede wrap (local brand, not real suede but it does have adhesive on the other side. It's also stretchable)
3. Knife and scissors

[Steps]
1. Clean using rubbing alcohol, or in my case since I didn't have any, I just used alcohol naps that my fiancee uses to erase her makeup
2. cut out a large piece of suede wrap that is about 3-5 inches bigger on each side than the interior part to be wrapped
3. Starting from the edge, slowly peel off the backing to reveal the adhesive side, and slowly starting applying onto the part
4. Make incisions where necessary to fold the suede inside, and stick to the inside panel

It's actually a lot easier than it seems, it prolly took me between 5-10 minutes from application to making incisions and folding in the suede in all areas / corners / holes etc....
Hopefully the pics below will give you a much clearer idea.

Oh, and if you need to know how to disassemble the dashboard and any other internal parts, I used the URL below:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...sassembly.html
Credits and many thanks go to user Eddie420

Finished product, back-side. Just fold in all the suede, and make incisions etc... where necessary

Closeup #1

Closeup #2

End product front side

Closeup #3 (front)

Installed

Installed - Other angle

Installed - final shot
Old 03-24-21, 02:32 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Nice DIY! You are brave to wrap that white, fingerprints/dirt/marks down the road might be an issue, won't clean as easy as the oem panel. Kind of looks like someone put bondo and didn't sand it smooth, but that's not bad for a first time. I'm sure if you ripped it off and did it again you can do better. I guess you'll find out how the adhesive holds up in the middle of summer. I wrapped a panel on a civic long time ago and the 3m spray adhesive failed, but I was also attaching vinyl to plastic. I ended up redoing it with contact cement.

How much of the car do you plan on wrapping in suede?

Old 03-24-21, 03:20 AM
Ca12bon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by peasodos
Nice DIY! You are brave to wrap that white, fingerprints/dirt/marks down the road might be an issue, won't clean as easy as the oem panel. Kind of looks like someone put bondo and didn't sand it smooth, but that's not bad for a first time. I'm sure if you ripped it off and did it again you can do better. I guess you'll find out how the adhesive holds up in the middle of summer. I wrapped a panel on a civic long time ago and the 3m spray adhesive failed, but I was also attaching vinyl to plastic. I ended up redoing it with contact cement.

How much of the car do you plan on wrapping in suede?
Thanks Yeah I had a long day today and half-assed it lol.... Couldn't really be bothered to go through "proper" steps (i.e. sanding the contact areas and spraying with 3m adhesive spray etc...) I plan on doing the glove box area and maybe try the drivers area, so the whole "middle" part of the car is light beige. I hadn't really thought about summer, but yeah we'll see how it holds up. Worst case scenario I'll have to take it all off and get rid of any residue with glue remover / rubbing alcohol.

I'm also planning on finding aftermarket DIY steering wheel cover in leather or suede in the same color, but I have yet to find an Aliexpress seller that carries it in my color. I also plan on doing an RGB led ambient light system, but not in a ricer kinda way, more like those found in the S class.
Old 03-24-21, 03:58 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 310 Likes on 211 Posts

I don't like it but respect the skill to do such a good job. You must have clean hands, if my interior were white it'd look like a sheep's rear very quickly
Old 03-24-21, 06:30 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Ca12bon
Thanks Yeah I had a long day today and half-assed it lol.... Couldn't really be bothered to go through "proper" steps (i.e. sanding the contact areas and spraying with 3m adhesive spray etc...) I plan on doing the glove box area and maybe try the drivers area, so the whole "middle" part of the car is light beige. I hadn't really thought about summer, but yeah we'll see how it holds up. Worst case scenario I'll have to take it all off and get rid of any residue with glue remover / rubbing alcohol.

I'm also planning on finding aftermarket DIY steering wheel cover in leather or suede in the same color, but I have yet to find an Aliexpress seller that carries it in my color. I also plan on doing an RGB led ambient light system, but not in a ricer kinda way, more like those found in the S class.
I would advise not using rubbing alcohol. In my scenario, it discolored and made the dash sticky. I ending up replacing the dashboard after I cleaned up a tear that I was fixing. It annoyed me that I could see the difference with polarizing sunglasses. And it was only 60% alcohol.

Overall, not a bad job. Cleaning it would be tough thought. Maybe a suede cleaner??? I would love to wrap the door insert and actually, now that I thought about it, I have a spare panel that I can play with.
Old 03-24-21, 07:04 AM
Ca12bon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cwang
I don't like it but respect the skill to do such a good job. You must have clean hands, if my interior were white it'd look like a sheep's rear very quickly
Thanks man! Yeah I thought long and hard about the color. Was initially going to go dark grey, but really love a bright interior so tried it out.

Originally Posted by MX73
I would advise not using rubbing alcohol. In my scenario, it discolored and made the dash sticky. I ending up replacing the dashboard after I cleaned up a tear that I was fixing. It annoyed me that I could see the difference with polarizing sunglasses. And it was only 60% alcohol.

Overall, not a bad job. Cleaning it would be tough thought. Maybe a suede cleaner??? I would love to wrap the door insert and actually, now that I thought about it, I have a spare panel that I can play with.
Ahh I see thanks for the headsup! I will have to be very careful about getting rid of the residue later. I'll try to do some research into alternative solutions, which might be as simple as water and soap solution. Good luck on your wrapping the spare panel, it definitely gives the interior a new look, and I think it's especially good if you have minor scratches on the panels that you want to hide.
Old 03-24-21, 07:09 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Ca12bon
Thanks man! Yeah I thought long and hard about the color. Was initially going to go dark grey, but really love a bright interior so tried it out.

Ahh I see thanks for the headsup! I will have to be very careful about getting rid of the residue later. I'll try to do some research into alternative solutions, which might be as simple as water and soap solution. Good luck on your wrapping the spare panel, it definitely gives the interior a new look, and I think it's especially good if you have minor scratches on the panels that you want to hide.

I just realized that I also have my old dashboard. lol. Hmm. This is giving me some great ideas. lol. If anyone wants to buy a dashboard with a tear in it hmu. Keep me from spending money. lol.
Old 03-27-21, 02:30 AM
Ca12bon
Driver School Candidate

Default Just a small update

So I did the glove compartment today, still did a hack job because I never open it anyways. I think it looks pretty good now, I just have to do the small panel next to the glove compartment, and do the ambient lighting afterwards.

Pics of the progress so far:

Final product

Last edited by Ca12bon; 03-28-21 at 03:57 AM.