GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Normal Vs Sports Vs Eco Mode

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-17, 05:44 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Steering ratio changes? Or, does the steering has a heavier feel without changing the ratio?
The rack and pinion has "progressively" variable ratios, meaning that the more we turn the steering wheel [angle], the higher the steering gear ratio.
Sports+ Mode simply reduces the electric motor assistance to the steering wheel - that is one of the advantages of electric power steering.
Old 07-14-17, 05:45 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Steering ratio changes? Or, does the steering has a heavier feel without changing the ratio?
The steering doesn't get heavier, aka it doesn't take more effort to turn the wheel. That's why I've never described it as "heavier steering".
Old 07-14-17, 05:56 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

On non-F-Sport GS350s the Sport mode (the highest mode) only makes the steering feel heavier, but does not change the steering ratio.
Old 07-14-17, 06:15 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

On non-F-Sport GS350s the Sport mode (the highest mode) only makes the steering feel heavier, but does not change the steering ratio.
I have a 2016 non-F-Sport GS 200T which does not have AVS or the Sport+ mode. I do not *feel* any difference in steering weight/response in the three modes (Eco, Normal, Sport). The only difference I feel between the Eco and Sport mode is in the throttle response and gear shifts. In Sport mode, the accelerator becomes significantly more responsive and the car moves with the slightest touch of the pedal. In Eco mode, the accelerator requires much more pressure for the same change in speed. The difference in gear shifts between Eco and Sport as mentioned above by some others in truly felt in my car. And of course, the color of the screen turns red in Sport mode . The Normal is the worst of both worlds.

Last edited by bb700092; 07-14-17 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-14-17, 06:22 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

SPORT S/S+ MODES - Sport S mode changes the gauge-cluster lighting to a fiery red and alters the powertrain for faster gear changes and more dynamic throttle mapping. Available Sport S+ mode goes a step further by also tightening the suspension and increasing steering response. In both modes, the transmission's shift points are automatically altered coming into and out of corners for sharper acceleration.

NORMAL MODE - Normal mode provides the optimal balance of fuel efficiency, engine performance and, on F SPORT and Luxury Package–equipped models, the degree of road feel.

ECO MODE - In ECO mode, a calming blue light surrounds the gauge cluster, while the throttle response and engine power output are moderated for increased fuel efficiency. Other vehicle systems are also optimized for reduced power consumption.

Reference http://www.lexus.com/models/GS/performance (Drive Mode Select > Learn More)
Old 07-14-17, 06:25 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Available Sport S+ mode goes a step further by also tightening the suspension and increasing steering response.
Reference http://www.lexus.com/models/GS/performance
The steering response does not seem to change in the other three modes (Eco, Normal, Sport).
Old 07-14-17, 06:34 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bb700092
The steering response does not seem to change in the other three modes (Eco, Normal, Sport).
Correct - for GS350s with Sport+ drive mode the steering response only changes in Sport+ mode whereas non-F-Sport GS350s (without the Sport+ mode) the steering response changes in Sport mode.
Old 07-14-17, 06:37 PM
bb700092
Intermediate

Correct - for GS350s with Sport+ drive mode the steering response only changes in Sport+ mode whereas non-F-Sport GS350s (without the Sport+ mode) the steering response changes in Sport mode.
In mine, it does not (I have a GS 200T though).
Old 07-14-17, 06:40 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bb700092
In mine, it does not (I have a GS 200T though).
I do not know about the GS 200t, but I don't know why Lexus would not have the steering to perform the same as a GS 350 non-F-Sport...
Old 07-14-17, 06:41 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Hmmm.
I don't think that in cars without the Sport+ Mode, the use of the Sport Mode would make the steering any heavier???
Sport Mode only ever makes the shift points higher, and more readily kicks down for greater acceleration at the expense of fuel economy.
It is certainly not doing that in my wife's IS200t base model anyway...
Old 07-14-17, 06:48 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

By the way, even when the GS 350 is in ECO drive mode - when you go Wide-Open-Throttle the computer logic for all engine parameters (fuel & ignition mapping) and transmission parameters (shift points) perform the same as the Sport / Sport+ drive modes. There will be no engine and transmission performance differences at WOT.
Old 07-14-17, 06:55 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Hmmm.
I don't think that in cars without the Sport+ Mode, the use of the Sport Mode would make the steering any heavier???
Sport Mode only ever makes the shift points higher, and more readily kicks down for greater acceleration at the expense of fuel economy.
It is certainly not doing that in my wife's IS200t base model anyway...
Yes, in a GS 350 non-F-Sport (without Sport+ mode) the Sport Drive Mode changes the engine mapping, transmission shifting as well as making the steering feel heavier. When engaging Sport Drive Mode it shows in red color 'Sport' on the instrument cluster (to the right of the NAV screen) that the engine, the transmission and the steering highlighted is being altered.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

■Vehicles without AVS (No Sport+ Mode)

• Sport Mode
An acceleration response suitable for sports driving is provided by controlling steering response and transmission. Suitable for when precise handling is desirable, for example when driving on mountain roads.

When the driving mode select switch is turned right, the “SPORT” indicator comes on in the instrument cluster.

Note: If the car has AVS, then no change is made to the steering until the Sport+ mode is chosen (as indicated below).

■Vehicles with AVS (Sport Mode & Sport+ Mode)

• SPORT S Mode
Improves acceleration response by controlling the transmission. Suitable for when precise handling is desirable, for example when driving on mountain roads.
When the driving mode select switch is turned right while a made other than SPORT S mode is selected, the “SPORT S” indicator comes on in the instrument cluster.

• SPORT S+ Mode
Improves steering performance and driving stability by simultaneously controlling the steering and suspension in addition to the transmission. Suitable for sporty driving.

When the driving mode select switch is turned right while SPORT S mode is selected,
the “SPORT S+” indicator comes on in the instrument cluster.

Note: As noted above, vehicles in with Sport & Sport+ modes the steering response does not change until Sport+ mode is selected.

Last edited by bclexus; 07-14-17 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-15-17, 10:40 AM
gflexus
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually only the F Sport (and maybe Lux) have Variable Gear Ratio Steering. On the regular GS the steering "feel" gets a little heavier (less power assist) in S mode, but there is no change in the actual steering gear ratio (quicker response to movement of the steering wheel) as there is in S+ mode on the F Sport.

The biggest difference with the F Sport is that the variable suspension is active all the time....not just in S+ mode. So the suspension is constantly adjusting to road conditions....a major difference in how the car drives at all times.

As a previous owner of a '15 and now a '16, I've noticed that the aggressiveness of the S/S+ mode seems to have been dialed back a little in the '16+ model years. I mentioned it at my last service at Lexus, and the Service Manager confirmed that others have mentioned that too...this was the first confirmation of this I had heard from anyone connected with Lexus....although others on this forum have noted it too. . .
Old 07-15-17, 02:13 PM
5PM
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sport+ in my '15 F Sport is the only way to go, unless you're stuck in traffic, nearly out of gas or want to moderate the A/C a bit. Throttle response is FAR better and I find the road feel considerably improved; there is also slightly less body roll. If you don't drive hard, you may never notice any of this, but if you're aggressive there's no comparison with Normal mode.
Old 07-16-17, 07:12 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

ECO mode also decreases the A/C consumption. I have never once used this mode.

Quick Reply: Normal Vs Sports Vs Eco Mode