GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

TMPS Calibration Issues with Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-17, 08:46 AM
Onpoint
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default TMPS Calibration Issues with Dealer

Upon reading the many entries in the New Wheel/Tire Packages tread, and the outstanding combinations, it inspired me to follow suit with a set of Vossen VFS6's 20x30x265 on Michelin PSS square package for my GS305F Sport AWD - which I love..... However when I took to the dealer to have the new TMPS calibrated - that's when the issues started. Dealer indicated that they could not pickup the code and thus unable to calibrate the sensors. I purchased the tire package through CarID who were very helpful and provided directions and said that it should not be a problem. However the dealer again responded with the fact that they can only calibrate one set of sensors (the ones installed from factory), and that I would have to purchase a new set of 4 from them and have to install in order to work. Overall that replacement and rebalance etc. would run about $650. If that is the only way to go to make the warning light stop flashing and be able to monitor the tire pressures - then so be it. However first wanted to check in to confirm or not if many of you have experienced the same or if there is another way to fix the issue.

Thanks much -
Old 07-14-17, 09:15 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Go to a trusted tire shop, they should be able to do it for much cheaper.

Typically what you need is the ID's for the new set of TPMS sensors, which CarID should've recorded prior to installing the wheels. Are you sure they didn't provide any IDs?
Old 07-14-17, 11:07 AM
Onpoint
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes they provide the ID's and also instructions how to go about the calibration. However dealer claimed they their hardware could not read/locate. They even placed a TPMS they had in stock next to my new wheel to see if their machine was malfunctioning, however it was able to read it - but not the sensors installed in the new setup. I though it was strange that Lexus stated their computer can only program one set of sensors - thus if you were to have a summer/winter wheel setup, you would need to do a breakdown each season to use the same sensors. That wasn't the case with my Infiniti M35X, whereas I just had to pull the summers & mount the winter wheels and drive a couple miles, and it would automatically read and calibrate.
Old 07-14-17, 12:10 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Onpoint
Yes they provide the ID's and also instructions how to go about the calibration. However dealer claimed they their hardware could not read/locate. They even placed a TPMS they had in stock next to my new wheel to see if their machine was malfunctioning, however it was able to read it - but not the sensors installed in the new setup. I though it was strange that Lexus stated their computer can only program one set of sensors - thus if you were to have a summer/winter wheel setup, you would need to do a breakdown each season to use the same sensors. That wasn't the case with my Infiniti M35X, whereas I just had to pull the summers & mount the winter wheels and drive a couple miles, and it would automatically read and calibrate.
Sounds like the dealer is just lazy. They used the TPMS scanner to try to pickup the sensor ID's wirelessly instead of just manually programming your given set of ID's into the car. The sensors installed by CarID may be aftermarket and can't be read by the factory scanner tool, but as long as they're recognized by the car, they should work fine.

The car can only store one set of sensor ID's at a time, so each time you change your tires, you got to reprogram the "active" set of ID's back into the car.

There are tools that allow you to "store" 2 set of ID's, and each time you change your tires, you simply plug the device into the OBD2 port and let it reprogram it to the alternate set of ID's. This is a popular option.
Amazon Amazon

Personally, I just live with the TPMS light during the winter months.