GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Strange smell when AC comes on?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-17, 05:49 PM
levinsoy
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Strange smell when AC comes on?

I recently purchased a 2014 GS350 F-Sport and when I start up the car and AC kicks on for about a few seconds there is a moldy/musty smell coming from vents and then goes away and I don't smell it again until I start the car next time. When I purchased the car I checked the cabin air filter and it looked relatively clean but I just ordered a new one just in case. Any thoughts or ideas on what that smell is?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-21-17, 06:05 PM
kdl001
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does the same thing, I wonder what is causing the smell also..
Old 06-21-17, 06:29 PM
Twidge
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

its caused by the condensation in the air conditioner dripping inside the car.

you'll want to use this to get rid of the smell.

https://www.detailersdomain.com/coll...ro-300ml-10-oz
The following users liked this post:
levinsoy (06-22-17)
Old 06-21-17, 06:48 PM
k0kong
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I remember this happening on my old car, ended up being caused by mold forming on the blower motor / A/C Evaporator. i took some household Lysol, found where those 2 components were located and sprayed it a few times. It was situated right before the cabin air filter in that car so it was easily accessible. I let it sit for a bit then ran it for about 10 minutes. Ghetto - yes, but the smell went away for the next 2 years up until i sold the car lol. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-21-17, 07:23 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

If you haven't already done so, replace the cabin air filter with a high-quality unit. Often times that will take care of the problem AND is a simple fix.
The following users liked this post:
ChicagoGSf (08-30-23)
Old 06-21-17, 08:38 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Old 06-21-17, 08:58 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Twidge
its caused by the condensation in the air conditioner dripping inside the car.

you'll want to use this to get rid of the smell.

https://www.detailersdomain.com/coll...ro-300ml-10-oz
Exactly. I just dealt with this on my RX so I thought I'd chime in. I used a foaming AC cleaner from Home Depot, here's a link to the product:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/AC-Safe-A...-921/206740351
Less than 6 dollars-compare to Toyota product that is $$$, same stuff. Next, get one of those little red staws that connect onto spray cans (like the ones that come taped onto cans of WD40).
Go to passenger side floorboard. On the back passenger side of console, there are a couple of removable plug in clips that allow access to your AC evaporator, remove those with a small flathead, this will allow you to remove small panel there.
Look into cavity and you will see evaporator box that also contains heater core and AC equipment. Look for a rubber hose (about 1/2" diameter) coming off of evap box, that is your drain tube. Pull it off gently. Spray AC cleaner up into the evap box thoroughly by inserting straw into metal outlet of evap box. I use about a third to half can, then a little down disconnected hose that leads to bottom of car. Reconnect the drain tube hose to evap box. Start your car, open windows and run AC full blast for about 5 minutes. You will see foam releasing from bottom of car as it cleans evaporator. Next run your heater full blast for a little as heater core will have been exposed to the cleaning foam too. This product from Home Depot states on can it is safe for all plastics and metals and will not harm anything, only cleans and dissolves grime. Allow the car to run awhile while foam clears the system and out bottom of car, probably not good to breath it. It really made my AC fresh and cooler. This is exactly the same procedure Lexus will do and charge you around 200$ minimum.
I tried Lysol first as I had it on hand, worked for a week or so, but my evap was clogged up with gunk, like yours sounds like it is. Did the foam cleaner and now over a month of fresh and strong AC.
The following 3 users liked this post by BlackLexRX:
glm318 (06-21-17), Im2bz2p345 (06-22-17), mjo13 (06-18-23)
Old 06-21-17, 09:02 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

First thing I do after getting the interior cleaned is to change the cabin air filter on a preowned car caus we don't really see but it does hold a lot of dust and all once we change it. I'm sure swapping the filter should solve the smell problem.
Old 06-22-17, 05:16 AM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1
First thing I do after getting the interior cleaned is to change the cabin air filter on a preowned car caus we don't really see but it does hold a lot of dust and all once we change it. I'm sure swapping the filter should solve the smell problem.
I changed mine first, as I normally do every 10k, before digging into my AC smell. Didn't help as I found out next, AC system is adjacent to cabin filter. Def try cabin filter first. But if car has odor only during AC use, evaporator will need cleaned most likely. Condensate and dust can sit in system if unused which creates bad odor.
Old 06-22-17, 07:20 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackLexRX
I changed mine first, as I normally do every 10k, before digging into my AC smell. Didn't help as I found out next, AC system is adjacent to cabin filter. Def try cabin filter first. But if car has odor only during AC use, evaporator will need cleaned most likely. Condensate and dust can sit in system if unused which creates bad odor.
Same here. Both of my GSs had a musty smell when the AC kicked on. Replaced cabin air filter, and the smell went away both times.

It's so easy, and the offbrand filters are $12 on amazon. Definitely start with that.
Old 06-22-17, 08:19 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,993 Likes on 1,416 Posts

Make sure the condensation line is clear and not clogged-up, which will retain stagnant water.
Old 06-22-17, 12:55 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bclexus
Make sure the condensation line is clear and not clogged-up, which will retain stagnant water.
Right. This is how I knew I had a problem. I'd run my AC in Denver when it was like 90+degrees and have very little (just a few drips) of condensate water coming out of bottom of car. Almost nothing. After using the foam cleaner, it now flows out lots of water underneath. If you have no water under car when AC on in hot weather, you need to clean your evaporator core. Filter only masks problem.
Old 06-22-17, 12:57 PM
r3dl4b3l
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackLexRX
Exactly. I just dealt with this on my RX so I thought I'd chime in. I used a foaming AC cleaner from Home Depot, here's a link to the product:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/AC-Safe-A...-921/206740351
Less than 6 dollars-compare to Toyota product that is $$$, same stuff. Next, get one of those little red staws that connect onto spray cans (like the ones that come taped onto cans of WD40).
Go to passenger side floorboard. On the back passenger side of console, there are a couple of removable plug in clips that allow access to your AC evaporator, remove those with a small flathead, this will allow you to remove small panel there.
Look into cavity and you will see evaporator box that also contains heater core and AC equipment. Look for a rubber hose (about 1/2" diameter) coming off of evap box, that is your drain tube. Pull it off gently. Spray AC cleaner up into the evap box thoroughly by inserting straw into metal outlet of evap box. I use about a third to half can, then a little down disconnected hose that leads to bottom of car. Reconnect the drain tube hose to evap box. Start your car, open windows and run AC full blast for about 5 minutes. You will see foam releasing from bottom of car as it cleans evaporator. Next run your heater full blast for a little as heater core will have been exposed to the cleaning foam too. This product from Home Depot states on can it is safe for all plastics and metals and will not harm anything, only cleans and dissolves grime. Allow the car to run awhile while foam clears the system and out bottom of car, probably not good to breath it. It really made my AC fresh and cooler. This is exactly the same procedure Lexus will do and charge you around 200$ minimum.
I tried Lysol first as I had it on hand, worked for a week or so, but my evap was clogged up with gunk, like yours sounds like it is. Did the foam cleaner and now over a month of fresh and strong AC.

Any pics you can show us of the panel and plugs?
Old 06-22-17, 01:02 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by r3dl4b3l
I'll take some of mine when I get home from work. Get down on your passenger floorboard. Look left toward driver side, but at the bottom of the console (where a passengers left foot would go. There are 2 plugs there. Remove them and expose the evap core, AC works, etc.
Old 06-22-17, 01:09 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by r3dl4b3l
Went ahead and took one. Nice to work 100 yards from home, lol.
Attached Thumbnails Strange smell when AC comes on?-imag0532_1.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by BlackLexRX:
Im2bz2p345 (06-22-17), r3dl4b3l (06-26-17)

Quick Reply: Strange smell when AC comes on?