GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Wow I was quoted 580 for labor to do my brakes wtf

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-17, 07:49 PM
boostinsc
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Wow I was quoted 580 for labor to do my brakes wtf

As you know RVC Lexus IS horrible so now I am giving Glen Cove a shot and hope they take care me of well And I will watch everything and report back how my experience was. I was quoted today for 580 to do my brakes just the labor alone , and I supply the brakes.? I can't believe what I heard and had to post here to find out your opinions and take on this absurd price quote. Please share your thoughts...
Old 06-19-17, 10:14 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

If I remember correctly, I was quoted that much for the entire job (parts included) for just front pads and resurface rotors. I declined for the dealer to perform the service, I ordered the parts online at a discount and took it to an Indy shop who only charged $100 labor.
Old 06-20-17, 06:58 AM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by boostinsc
As you know RVC Lexus IS horrible so now I am giving Glen Cove a shot and hope they take care me of well And I will watch everything and report back how my experience was. I was quoted today for 580 to do my brakes just the labor alone , and I supply the brakes.? I can't believe what I heard and had to post here to find out your opinions and take on this absurd price quote. Please share your thoughts...
When going to a dealer you are always paying a premium for labor. But the quote was probably what would be charged for the job with parts.

No dealer wants to install parts you purchased independently. The correlation I always use is going to a prime steakhouse and bringing your own steak for the kitchen to cook. With most laborers they like to get a profit on the supplies/parts as well. A plumber wants to go to Home Depot and buy the toilet since he gets a discount but will charge you the retail price plus labor.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (06-20-17)
Old 06-20-17, 07:12 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by boostinsc
is that for all 4 pads and rotors? $145/hour.. normal dealer fee.. nothing to post about.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (06-20-17)
Old 06-20-17, 07:25 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Pads only or pads and rotors?
Old 06-20-17, 07:49 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Brake service has to be one of the biggest rip offs out there. I started doing them myself and will never go back unless I run into a problem I can't fix. I understand that not everyone wants to do that, or has time to do it, though. Sounds like you should take your business to a reputable independent mechanic. Changing brakes isn't rocket science (hey, even I can do it!) so it's not like your car is going to get messed up if you don't take it to a Lexus dealer for brakes.
Old 06-20-17, 11:51 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Why don't you just do it yourself? It is not hard at all to do your own brakes/brake pads, only issue you might run into is loosening the front caliper bolts. It is highway robbery what they are charging for brake pads.
Old 06-20-17, 12:17 PM
praetor
Racer

You don't have to loosen any caliper bolts if you're only replacing brake pads. At least I didn't need to do so.
Old 06-20-17, 03:41 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by praetor
You don't have to loosen any caliper bolts if you're only replacing brake pads. At least I didn't need to do so.
How do you flip the front caliper up to take the old pads out and put new ones in without loosening the bolt? Rears you don't as they just pull out from the top of the caliper in most cars once you take out a cotter pin and brace but fronts are different.
Old 06-20-17, 03:55 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
How do you flip the front caliper up to take the old pads out and put new ones in without loosening the bolt? Rears you don't as they just pull out from the top of the caliper in most cars once you take out a cotter pin and brace but fronts are different.
It is not necessary to remove the caliper for a pad change on our cars :
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...s-f-sport.html
Old 06-20-17, 06:12 PM
shurik74
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Agree... you pay premium at dealerships for sure. I went away from them to other private repair shops then started doing myself to save even more. Japanese cars designed for people who like or can work on them, german cars opposite way "built for one time use" My GS's recent front brake job cost me $70 StopTech pads + $30 resurface rotors at MIDAS brake store
Old 06-20-17, 09:04 PM
Twidge
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by LatinGS350
i always either resurface or replace my rotors while changing the pads. if you don't do so, you'll warp the rotors faster.
Old 06-21-17, 06:34 AM
praetor
Racer

You don't flip up the caliper at all. You remove the shim that holds the pads in place by removing the cotter pin and then pushing out the rod that holds everything in place. Easy as pie.
Old 06-21-17, 01:54 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LatinGS350
That is interesting, I never changed or saw a front caliper with that design. I have always had to remove a bolt and flip them to get access to the pads. With the same design as the rears it makes it even easier to change the pads on your own because loosening that front bolt is a major PIA and the hardest part, I snapped the head of the bolt one time I was changing my pads because it would not budge. Rears by just removing the pin and sliding them out the top was much easier, nice that the fronts are that way in cars too. I can't believe Lexus charges so much when changing the pads is so easy, especially with this design, just do them yourself.
Old 06-21-17, 06:24 PM
Twidge
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

That is interesting, I never changed or saw a front caliper with that design. I have always had to remove a bolt and flip them to get access to the pads. With the same design as the rears it makes it even easier to change the pads on your own because loosening that front bolt is a major PIA and the hardest part, I snapped the head of the bolt one time I was changing my pads because it would not budge. Rears by just removing the pin and sliding them out the top was much easier, nice that the fronts are that way in cars too. I can't believe Lexus charges so much when changing the pads is so easy, especially with this design, just do them yourself.
these are 4 piston monoblock calipers. it is a more efficient design that provides better stopping power and less brake fade. you're more used to seeing sliding caliper brakes, which are common on 75 percent of the cars out there. these have a chance for the slide pins over time to seize up if not taken care of properly. monoblock brakes do not seize up in this fashion.

As for lexus charging that? try going to another dealership and you'll see that they charge about the same for labor and parts. its not uncommon. go to bmw or anywhere else. gonna be the same. you might be able to go to toyota to save some money on labor, but some of the "lexus only" parts will end up being more. Also, most people out there don't have the mechanical know-how to fix their own cars. that's why they pay other people to fix it.

Quick Reply: Wow I was quoted 580 for labor to do my brakes wtf