GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS base to f-sport bumper conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-17, 07:05 AM
daybed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4GS base to f-sport bumper conversion

My front bumper cover has some license plate holes, so I'm going to replace my front bumper cover with the f sport bumper cover. Do you guys know if it will 100% fit if all I swap out is the bumper cover itself?
  • Based on this thread it is a direct fit: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...s-f-sport.html
  • But would I be able to reuse the following from the base car?
    • upper/lower grill
    • tow hook cover
    • headlight washers
    • fog lights? I've ordered the JDM foglight triangle/garnish/cover things
I'm itching to pull the trigger, but I'm really worried that something isn't going to fit correctly.

Also, would anyone be interested in a nebula gray pearl bumper cover (with a license plate holder mounted in the middle)? It's pretty much spotless so I'm debating whether or not to sell it cheaply here in the classifieds section or keep it as a backup.
Old 06-20-17, 06:16 AM
JWBlakk
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I switched to the F Sport bumper and it is a direct fit. Only things to consider are: get the F Sport upper and lower grill (if you keep the base grills then you will have to modify the bottom grill a little bit - shave some tabs), if you're keeping your fog lights then get the F Sport fog light garnishes for the inserts at the bottom (or just get rid of the fogs like I did and get the normal F Sport inserts without the fog light cutout holes), lastly you'll need the F Sport bumper tow hook cover as the non-F Sport doesn't fit. Follow these suggestions and installation is a direct fit and a breeze...good luck! Oh, and post pics when you're done!

This pic was right after I got it done:
The following 2 users liked this post by JWBlakk:
daybed (06-20-17), NickMayer (04-24-19)
Old 06-20-17, 07:06 AM
daybed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JWBlakk
I switched to the F Sport bumper and it is a direct fit. Only things to consider are: get the F Sport upper and lower grill (if you keep the base grills then you will have to modify the bottom grill a little bit - shave some tabs), if you're keeping your fog lights then get the F Sport fog light garnishes for the inserts at the bottom (or just get rid of the fogs like I did and get the normal F Sport inserts without the fog light cutout holes), lastly you'll need the F Sport bumper tow hook cover as the non-F Sport doesn't fit. Follow these suggestions and installation is a direct fit and a breeze...good luck! Oh, and post pics when you're done!

This pic was right after I got it done:
That's super useful information, thank you so much!

I bought the JDM fog light garnishes already, will order the tow hook cover as well. I did not know that the bottom grill would not be a direct fit, I kind of wanted to keep the base grill. Would you happen to know if the shape of the bottom grills are the same, and just the tabs need to be shaved or do I need to shave off part of the grill itself to fit?

Your car looks amazing by the way, nice work!
Old 06-20-17, 08:23 AM
JWBlakk
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Thanks! Just needs to be lowered haha. I believe the grill itself fits but just need to cut two tabs. There was a thread or two on here of people who kept the base grill with the conversion and they further explain the cutting of the two tabs. You might have to search for the threads but I would assume you just cut the two tabs that are in the way lol.
Old 06-20-17, 12:50 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,134 Likes on 841 Posts

I remember viewing quite a few threads where folks were talking about grille swaps, bumper swaps, non-f sport grilles on F-sport bumpers etc. When I switched out my grille, i remember reading that it was just a trim of two tabs. Here's a few helpful threads:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...rill-pics.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...f-sport-2.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-grille-6.html

In that third thread I listed, member BJ(CA) has a pic of the F sport lower grille and non-F sport lower grille on his counter so you can see the difference in the tabs.
The following 2 users liked this post by AJLex19:
daybed (06-20-17), NickMayer (04-24-19)
Old 06-20-17, 03:15 PM
daybed
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, those posts were super helpful. I was including the word "tabs" in my search which was throwing off the results
Old 04-09-18, 04:23 AM
ICU2
Pole Position

Does anyone know how to fix this yet? I have the same thing happening after updating to the 2012 headlights.