Thinking of buying a 2013 - advice request and questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-17, 12:36 PM
6eLe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Thinking of buying a 2013 - advice request and questions

Hello,

I am looking for a new vehicle after my last car (a 2008 Honda Accord Coupe) was brutally beaten by hail and, after deciding to keep her, completely brutalized by a large Chevy truck that forced me into a Chevy/Toyota pickup truck sandwich.

Anyway, I found a couple nice 2013 GS 350's with ~70k miles in my area. They are both priced around $23k. They're both in pretty good shape.. one has black on black paint/interior and the other is blue with an orange-like interior. I prefer the black/black model which was also protected with a lot of clear-bra material on the bumper, hood, fenders, a pillars, and mirrors. Neither is the f-sport model.

I have a few questions if any of you have answers:

The black/black model has a broken rear sunshade - one side seems to be disconnected from the motor. Is this a common problem and/or easily fixable?

Does $23k seem reasonable?

Any issues or common problems I should look out for?

Is 70k miles more than you'd feel comfortable with this car?

Are there any options to look for or that I will hate myself for not having in this year? They seemed to have about the same setup: GPS, heated steering wheel, cooled seats, etc - but I only spent a little bit with each car.

Thanks for any advice. Looking forward to maybe joining your community with my own GS.
Old 06-12-17, 01:35 PM
darylcf108
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

I am looking for a new vehicle after my last car (a 2008 Honda Accord Coupe) was brutally beaten by hail and, after deciding to keep her, completely brutalized by a large Chevy truck that forced me into a Chevy/Toyota pickup truck sandwich.

Anyway, I found a couple nice 2013 GS 350's with ~70k miles in my area. They are both priced around $23k. They're both in pretty good shape.. one has black on black paint/interior and the other is blue with an orange-like interior. I prefer the black/black model which was also protected with a lot of clear-bra material on the bumper, hood, fenders, a pillars, and mirrors. Neither is the f-sport model.

I have a few questions if any of you have answers:

The black/black model has a broken rear sunshade - one side seems to be disconnected from the motor. Is this a common problem and/or easily fixable? Not sure? Anything broke on the car ask for $$$$ off.....

Does $23k seem reasonable? Seems as if they are trying to rip you off. 23K for anything that is broke in the car doesn't smell right.

Any issues or common problems I should look out for? It's a reliable car indeed.

Is 70k miles more than you'd feel comfortable with this car? Mileage is fine.

Are there any options to look for or that I will hate myself for not having in this year? Yes. Heads Up Display, Blind Spot Monitoring, Luxury Package, Cold weather package They seemed to have about the same setup: GPS, heated steering wheel, cooled seats, etc - but I only spent a little bit with each car.

Thanks for any advice. Looking forward to maybe joining your community with my own GS.
Old 06-12-17, 02:15 PM
6eLe
Driver School Candidate

It looks like both had the luxury and cold weather packages. I'm not sure about the head's up display but I'm guessing not (unless it's easy to miss / turned off by default).

I'd agree that the broken sunshade is BS at ~$23k but I also liked that car a bit more due to an improved exterior condition and a less objectionable interior color. The orange-ish brown leather was starting to grow on me but I wasn't sure how I'd feel about it down the line.

To be clear, the 2nd GS-350 with the orange-ish interior did not have anything broken.
Old 06-12-17, 02:22 PM
darylcf108
Driver School Candidate

To be honest with you if I'm out looking for a car and when the salesman says something is broke on or in the car..... Just turn around and say this isn't the car for me. If it's for you then everything will work. If not then it's a piece of trash. Why couldn't the dealer just fix the rear shade issue before putting the car on the lot if they want to sell it?

Also you may want the Intuitive Park Assist feature. I use it everyday parking in my garage. Saves me time from hitting things.

Last edited by darylcf108; 06-12-17 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-12-17, 02:37 PM
6eLe
Driver School Candidate

The GS350 with the broken sunshade is at a Ford dealership. I'd like the car to be perfect too but it's a used car at the lower end of the pricing spectrum for this year/model. I figure if it's a well known or easily fixable issue, then it's not a big deal and can be used to negotiate a better price. Perhaps that's not the case, though, hence my requests for advice.

I'll keep looking.
Old 06-12-17, 03:19 PM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Costly to fix

Rear sun shade?
if I remember correctly, rear sunshade expensive to fix, dealer want around $2k to fix.
Old 06-12-17, 07:53 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I haven't heard of rear sunshades breaking. This is good, because it is well designed by Lexus. For that car, it's bad because it means somebody broke it. What else did they break that's not so obvious? Why is something in a hard-to-reach part of the car broken?
Old 06-12-17, 08:04 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

rear sunshade is expensive for the part it self.
Old 06-12-17, 09:40 PM
6eLe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by spoogenet
I haven't heard of rear sunshades breaking. This is good, because it is well designed by Lexus. For that car, it's bad because it means somebody broke it. What else did they break that's not so obvious? Why is something in a hard-to-reach part of the car broken?
It appears to have detached from one side - I don't suppose that helps the situation much unless there's some trick to attaching/detaching the top part from the track. Maybe a kid or unruly passenger.. not sure to be honest. I guess it's a good thing that you don't see a lot of these broken but it's unfortunate that this particular GS is the best I've found otherwise.
Old 06-12-17, 09:59 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

I'd offer $18k and top off at $21k, that broken sun shade is a deal breaker. They should've fixed it before putting it up for sale. Walk away if they won't take $21k out the door.
Old 06-12-17, 10:18 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

23K is too high for a 2013 GS350 with over 70K miles, once you pay taxes/registration/title and the extra dealer mark ups you will be paying over 25K for it. I don't think a non working sunshade would be a deal breaker if you really like the car but they should have fixed it, there is no logical reason a sunshade should cost over a $1000 to fix or replace but I guess that is what Lexus is charging for it, I bet it would not be expensive to fix it yourself if you figure out what is wrong. I would find out what the price is at the dealership to have it fixed and know that off the price and then negotiate from there. I would offer 18K or 19K and settle on 20K or 21K at most if they fix it.
Old 06-12-17, 11:27 PM
maveriCK..
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

rear sunshade is cool but who uses it? lol!

i cared more about the mark levinson sound system and hud when i purchased mine.

47k for $25k
Old 06-13-17, 06:00 AM
DP03
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by maveriCK..
rear sunshade is cool but who uses it? lol!

i cared more about the mark levinson sound system and hud when i purchased mine.

47k for $25k
I use my rear shade almost everyday (whenever parked outside). Protection for the rear deck against the sun.
Old 06-13-17, 09:37 AM
darylcf108
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by DP03
I use my rear shade almost everyday (whenever parked outside). Protection for the rear deck against the sun.
I use the rear shade everyday. I even have the manual shades on both sides of the car that remains up all the time in my car. I don't want people looking inside my car. No need for tint with those shades. It keep my black car so cool in the summer. Love the shades!!!
Old 06-13-17, 02:41 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

I have rear tint and I keep my rear shades down all the time. Also, the onyx color car is parked in the sun during the day (absorbing heat). Good thing I programmed my remote key to open all the windows/sunroof when I press/hold the button, allowing to cool down the interior temps a couple hundred degrees.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a 2013 - advice request and questions