GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Upgrade to Mark Levinson

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-17, 05:53 AM
promethus7
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I am convince that even the most basic aftermarket upgrade will be superior to most factory premium stereo upgrade. I had a 3G GS in which I thought the ML did not give much advantage over the base stereo. As such I got one with the base stereo and took it to my local audio shop. 1 Component set, a set of door speakers, 1 modest sub, 1 4CH amp, 1 Mono AMP and the sound was soooooo much better than ML. ~$500 to install and when I traded it in the same shop took it all out for free and put that car back to base. Just upgrade to a 4G and I am already having withdrawls... Save your money on the ML and just get some aftermarket stuff (just don't go overboard)
Old 06-09-17, 11:43 AM
tknx
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me say (a) the ML system is very good compared to the aftermarket system I had done in my minivan by one of the best installers in NorCal. (b) it is overpriced and I would never aftermarket upgrade to it.

Just spec out someone to keep the OEM front end and change out speakers, add a DSP, and tune the sound a lot. You will get 100-120% of the ML sound performance for less. And as long as you keep the OEM front, you won't have to take money off when you sell the car, just don't mention the aftermarket audio since most people perceive it as a net negative.
Old 06-09-17, 12:27 PM
Socal858
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most people perceive aftermarket stereos as a negative not because of the components (though there is some real junk out there like Pyle and Pyramid), but because of the work involved, especially in a more complex car.

I used to be an installer and gone are the days where you can simply pop out the in-dash unit and pop speakers out of grilles that have screws on the front. Taking a modern car apart and putting it back together is truly an endeavor, if one attempts to exercise enough caution to not break anything or put parts back incorrectly.

Sure there are still good installers out there, it is really a luck of the draw. How can you be sure someone at a shop will be able to put your car back together without any rattles, missing screws, and other problems? Are you sure the installer is someone who has done your exact model of vehicle before and knows where to run cables without breaking anything, or are they some ricer bro who barely passed an MECP who is barely qualified beyond putting "sick bangin subs bro" in the back of a primered drift missile next to the nitrous bottle?
The following users liked this post:
Kaylun (10-27-19)
Old 06-09-17, 01:41 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Yonith
Hey guys. I have a '14 GS350 F Sport and am interested in upgrading its sound system to ML. I'm coming from an Infiniti G37XS with Bose and miss the premium audio. Does this forum have an OEM parts vendor that may be able to give me an itemized list of parts and prices to accommodate the upgrade? I'm also considering just getting the ML receiver and going aftermarket amp and speakers depending on how pricing works out. I'm willing to drop some coin on this but I guess it depends on how outrageous it will cost to get new door panels and such. Anyone with experience in this area I'd be interested to hear your input. Thanks!
In any audio system, most important component is speakers. Source material also affects sound quality. Sky is the limit when upgrading. Try AVS forum.
Old 06-12-17, 06:53 AM
huskador
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just got a 2017 GS 350 and have the same complaint about the lack of quality sound. If I just upgrade the speakers with aftermarket and leave the head unit alone, is there enough amp power from the stock unit to make the switch to upgraded speakers worth it? I'm not looking for booming bass just better all around sound.
Old 06-12-17, 07:36 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I think that's part of the issue with me and the ML audio. I primarily listen to Satellite radio and music streamed off of my iPhone. To me those sources sound better with the standard audio than the ML. I'm sure a CD would sound awesome on the ML, but I don't even have any CDs anymore.
+1
I use Spotify and have the music stream at the highest quality setting. I have my mp3's on a thumbdrive and play via USB port (as a backup, when I'm out of range of the cellular network). I rip all my CD's and they're in an archive, next to the cassettes.
Old 06-12-17, 03:35 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 452 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by huskador
just got a 2017 GS 350 and have the same complaint about the lack of quality sound. If I just upgrade the speakers with aftermarket and leave the head unit alone, is there enough amp power from the stock unit to make the switch to upgraded speakers worth it? I'm not looking for booming bass just better all around sound.
23 years aho, I upgraded the speakers of a Honda Accord to Pioneer speakers.
The sound was slightly louder & cleaner, however it still didn't sound great.

The secret to the new 4GS ML is 835 Watts, as opposed to old 3GS's ML at only 315 Watts.
I think the amp makes all the difference.

835 to 1000 Watts will make your hi fi feel like a V8 going up a hill, as opposed to going up a hill with a 2.0 four cylinder atmos engine.

The sound quality will seem so much more effortless. ..
huskador (06-13-17)
Old 06-13-17, 10:04 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
23 years aho, I upgraded the speakers of a Honda Accord to Pioneer speakers.
The sound was slightly louder & cleaner, however it still didn't sound great.

The secret to the new 4GS ML is 835 Watts, as opposed to old 3GS's ML at only 315 Watts.
I think the amp makes all the difference.

835 to 1000 Watts will make your hi fi feel like a V8 going up a hill, as opposed to going up a hill with a 2.0 four cylinder atmos engine.

The sound quality will seem so much more effortless. ..
Good amps shoud have a good dynamic range(lots of head room) 1000W peak music power or rms power and at what distortion figures?. To run at 1000W rms the amp. needs ~83 ampere. Better have heavy duty alternator. MOST important component in an audio system is well matched, balanced speakers. I don't think it is almost impossible to have true music in moving motor vehicle. Real music is enjoyed at home with properly set up system. My music system is only 2 channel stereo with 20W per channel from hand built
amp. by myself. Home theater is Atmos enabled Anthem amp, with 9 speaker set up of Paradigm speakers. I still use r-r tape, turntable. I am an amateur musician(low bass player since Jr. high days)

Last edited by Htony; 06-13-17 at 10:12 AM.
huskador (06-14-17)
Old 09-19-19, 04:19 PM
Fishman007
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ML audio

The ML system in my gs450h is actually quite good. It does break a few basic audio rules, but despite this the imaging, depth, and clarity are all better than I expected. I agree it needs more “bump” for my liking.

I am an audio fanatic. I have heard thousands of stereos both aftermarket and factory. I am extremely picky. I would never pay the money for the ML system off ebay or whatever, but for about $2k you can have a truly beautiful system installed in your ride. I have owned at least 15 cars with aftermarket audio, so Ive heard my fair share to compare to.

It is funny to me that people on here are critical of the ML system, yet recommend crap like Pioneer as a real upgrade.This tells me two things:
1) you have probably never heard a true audiophile level sound system in a car. Pioneer...seriously?
2) you probably have your levels all jacked up. Are you screwing with bass, treble, and mid controls? Stop it. Listen to a flat EQ for a while.

There is some personal preference in audio, but the reality is that good=good. Its measurable.
Old 09-19-19, 05:06 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishman007
It is funny to me that people on here are critical of the ML system, yet recommend crap like Pioneer as a real upgrade.This tells me two things:
1) you have probably never heard a true audiophile level sound system in a car. Pioneer...seriously?
2) you probably have your levels all jacked up. Are you screwing with bass, treble, and mid controls? Stop it. Listen to a flat EQ for a while.

There is some personal preference in audio, but the reality is that good=good. Its measurable.
Nice dig. I agree though, there is little relation between an audiofile system and a doof doof system most commonly installed in vehicles. Horses for courses, some prefer the doof over an accurate representation.
Old 09-19-19, 06:48 PM
IntrinoX
Instructor

Received 551 Likes on 323 Posts

My mom’s Benz has Harmon Kardon and those sound way better than my Mark Levinson.
Old 09-19-19, 06:49 PM
BM1620
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here, I have the premium 12 speaker in my 14 GS and I put it on surround sound and it sounds great. Everyone who has gotten in my car and listened to it loves it. If I put on a well recorded live concert from you tube it sounds amazing through that system. I haven't been in a GS with the ML to compare though.
Old 09-19-19, 08:06 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 311 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by BM1620
Same here, I have the premium 12 speaker in my 14 GS and I put i If I put on a well recorded live concert from you tube it sounds amazing through that system. I haven't been in a GS with the ML to compare though.
Youtube sourced audio going to sound pretty rotten TBH. Stick a concert DVD in there with 5.1 AC3 or LPCM and you'll be blown away. (Turn the digital surround off obviously)
Old 11-06-19, 05:20 AM
Vir
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishman007
The ML system in my gs450h is actually quite good. It does break a few basic audio rules, but despite this the imaging, depth, and clarity are all better than I expected. I agree it needs more “bump” for my liking.

I am an audio fanatic. I have heard thousands of stereos both aftermarket and factory. I am extremely picky. I would never pay the money for the ML system off ebay or whatever, but for about $2k you can have a truly beautiful system installed in your ride. I have owned at least 15 cars with aftermarket audio, so Ive heard my fair share to compare to.

Hello. I know this is an old post. I’ve actually been doing some research into upgrading my sound system. I have more posted if you want some more details on my situation.

Basically I have a 3rd gen Gs350. “Lexus premium sound system” I cut off the factory sub and hooked up a kicker L7 with its own amp. The factory amp is still connected to the speakers. I was looking into doing a full Mark Levinson upgrade for the factory amp/speakers and possibly the head unit.

After going through this post, I realize maybe I will just get the ML amp and the head unit if needed. The factory speakers seem pretty good because they sounded great even when I had no sub connected and there was still plenty of bass.

I’d like to see what you think about my idea.
Coolstyln (03-27-21)
Old 03-27-21, 11:54 AM
Coolstyln
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband sold hi end audio for 30 years and other than possibly McIntosh and Wilson There is NO better than ML amplifiers! It seems really great he wants ML but comparing them to Bose (THE most hated company of audiophiles) he should go to a high end audio store and listen to the ML set up and have his head blown off - but then he will cringe that he thought he had good sound from his Bose ! Go for it dude ......but now you will spend hours in your driveway listening to your car system Or cruising around just to listen to the perfection !

Quick Reply: Upgrade to Mark Levinson