GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Excessive wind noise from Sunroof repaired by dealer for free.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-17, 10:47 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

@k0kong: Glad to know that this is possible because last weekend I tried to remove the T25 bolts and was not able. I didn't want to force it and possibly strip or break anything either. I'll probably give this method a shot, thanks!

One question though, you did the removal and installation of the new weatherstrip with the sunroof tilted? It would seem that the front part of the sunroof that dips down while tilted wouldn't allow much room on the sides...?
Old 08-19-17, 11:26 PM
k0kong
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
@k0kong: Glad to know that this is possible because last weekend I tried to remove the T25 bolts and was not able. I didn't want to force it and possibly strip or break anything either. I'll probably give this method a shot, thanks!

One question though, you did the removal and installation of the new weatherstrip with the sunroof tilted? It would seem that the front part of the sunroof that dips down while tilted wouldn't allow much room on the sides...?
I was originally following the posted methods but felt a stripped bolt coming so i stopped immediately.
I should have clarified, I started with the sunroof in the titled position and the inner accordion type pieces removed.

Here is what i did:
Once i pulled the old one off, i started on the lifted corner and lined the reference point with the green dot. I found it easiest to stand on the scuff plate area and push down on the weather stripping instead of sideways. You'll notice that the inner side of the weather stripping is notched to into this L shape so it will only go in one way. @Mryeh17 gave some very good tips on going 45 degrees to the exterior so you want to come in at an angle (It'll make sense when you see it).
Start working your way across the lifted sunroof as this is the easiest part, once you start going down the sides it gets a bit tricker as a portion of it is still inside the sunroof track. Because the weather stripping requires installation at an angle, it is actually easier than it looks. The stripping is very pliable so don't be afraid to push it into position. I went back and forth inside the cabin and out to make sure everything was lining up.
Once you get 1 side of the sunroof in, start on dipped down portion.
As you work this area, its harder to get a good fit but you don't have to push it all the way in yet, at this point the dipped in portion doesn't have to be completely set. As you work your way around, the other side should be easier since you would have finished the rest already.

From here i slowly tilted down the sunroof, opened it and the rest was history... now you should have more space to work on fluffing this side of the weatherstripping in.
I only used my fingers to do this. If the screw had not contemplated leaving this world i would have just completely removed the sunroof to do it. Fortunately, this method saved for removing screws, and realignment and was back inside before i knew it.
The following users liked this post:
AJLex19 (08-20-17)
Old 08-20-17, 03:45 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by k0kong
I was originally following the posted methods but felt a stripped bolt coming so i stopped immediately.
I should have clarified, I started with the sunroof in the titled position and the inner accordion type pieces removed.

Here is what i did:
Once i pulled the old one off, i started on the lifted corner and lined the reference point with the green dot. I found it easiest to stand on the scuff plate area and push down on the weather stripping instead of sideways. You'll notice that the inner side of the weather stripping is notched to into this L shape so it will only go in one way. @Mryeh17 gave some very good tips on going 45 degrees to the exterior so you want to come in at an angle (It'll make sense when you see it).
Start working your way across the lifted sunroof as this is the easiest part, once you start going down the sides it gets a bit tricker as a portion of it is still inside the sunroof track. Because the weather stripping requires installation at an angle, it is actually easier than it looks. The stripping is very pliable so don't be afraid to push it into position. I went back and forth inside the cabin and out to make sure everything was lining up.
Once you get 1 side of the sunroof in, start on dipped down portion.
As you work this area, its harder to get a good fit but you don't have to push it all the way in yet, at this point the dipped in portion doesn't have to be completely set. As you work your way around, the other side should be easier since you would have finished the rest already.

From here i slowly tilted down the sunroof, opened it and the rest was history... now you should have more space to work on fluffing this side of the weatherstripping in.
I only used my fingers to do this. If the screw had not contemplated leaving this world i would have just completely removed the sunroof to do it. Fortunately, this method saved for removing screws, and realignment and was back inside before i knew it.
Thanks for the details man! I did this today and it was a bit tricky getting the sides in with this method but I used a thin plastic pry tool to help me adjust/lift/push/maneuver the stripping into place. It took me about 45 minutes to get it done but it was definitely better than potentially stripping the bolts.

I still have to get on a highway to test it out to hear the wind noise levels but i'm sure the results will be good.
Old 08-20-17, 05:49 PM
k0kong
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Thanks for the details man! I did this today and it was a bit tricky getting the sides in with this method but I used a thin plastic pry tool to help me adjust/lift/push/maneuver the stripping into place. It took me about 45 minutes to get it done but it was definitely better than potentially stripping the bolts.

I still have to get on a highway to test it out to hear the wind noise levels but i'm sure the results will be good.
Glad it worked for you! Somedays i forget my sunroof cover is open and drive all morning thinking it is closed... thats how much better it got for m.
Old 08-20-17, 09:08 PM
viperr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by k0kong
Glad it worked for you! Somedays i forget my sunroof cover is open and drive all morning thinking it is closed... thats how much better it got for m.
Hahah...same here! There is literally no difference between the sunroof cover open or closed with respect to wind noise. Because the sunroof is so quiet, I now start to notice more of the wind noise coming from the driver's side window. lol
Old 08-21-17, 07:26 AM
k0kong
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by viperr
Hahah...same here! There is literally no difference between the sunroof cover open or closed with respect to wind noise. Because the sunroof is so quiet, I now start to notice more of the wind noise coming from the driver's side window. lol
Haha I had a "vibration" coming from the passenger side area that i was so sure was something in the door. I even had the dealership remove the door and add extra insulation thinking that would fix it. After I replaced the weather stripping it went away lol
Old 08-21-17, 11:06 AM
vuong05
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by viperr
Up to what speed are we talking about here? My sunroof does make wind noise at higher speeds (highway speed), but pretty quiet at lower city driving speeds.
Old 08-21-17, 11:58 AM
k0kong
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by vuong05
Up to what speed are we talking about here? My sunroof does make wind noise at higher speeds (highway speed), but pretty quiet at lower city driving speeds.
Before i changed it, at any speed above 65 it became intolerable to even have the cover open. In city speeds wind wasn't traveling fast enough for me to notice.
The following users liked this post:
vuong05 (08-21-17)
Old 10-13-17, 08:23 PM
fuddyduddy
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you for the instructions. I ordered the new gasket, put it in, and it worked great. I used a rubber mallet to tap it in all around the sides. The only thing I was missing was the torque specs for the bolts. Much of the mysterious rattles in my car are gone now. I thought they were coming from the rear of the car but as it turns out they must have been coming from the sunroof.
Old 10-16-17, 01:49 PM
mryeh17
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Red face Update

It's been about 3 months since I installed the new seal, and the wind noise remains gone.

As others have noted I now notice other noises more, such as the wind noise from the driver side glass.
Old 10-29-17, 07:22 AM
Spideyman1
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jojoforest
Thanks AJLex19!

Darn, I feel like I got duped by the salesman that sold me the car. They told me that the CPO warranty is the exact same warranty you are getting as if you purchased the car brand new, which was the main selling point for me. Huge huge lesson learned. Still love my car.

I'm in contact with the service manager at the dealership that sold me my car. Crossing fingers that they will look into this for me.
I 'thought' the exact same thing! The only issue I have is this sunroof seal which I will replace myself thanks to the DIY video and photos posted! Thanks!
Old 10-29-17, 07:57 AM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Where is this video?
Old 10-29-17, 12:42 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by OneFunGS
Where is this video?
Youtube vids showing how to remove the sunroof were posted on page 3 of this very thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...or-free-3.html
Old 10-29-17, 12:55 PM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Right on, thanks.
Old 11-02-17, 05:54 AM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I had my moonroof repaired after an extended argument - I brought the car in with the same complaint 2 times before and once after the warranty expired, and they tried to tell me that Lexus was not responsible. They did the TSB fix, but I still hear occasional knocking, and the wind noise is better, but still there.

Before, one corner of the moonroof could be moved with 1 finger; now it is solid.

Since it's been about 6 months since the fix, and I am well out of warranty, I am considering changing the gasket again myself. ANy thoughts baout how much better (or worse, of course) I might make it?

Quick Reply: Excessive wind noise from Sunroof repaired by dealer for free.