GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Excessive wind noise from Sunroof repaired by dealer for free.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-17, 08:52 AM
viperr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by shrinkwrap
I had my moonroof repaired after an extended argument - I brought the car in with the same complaint 2 times before and once after the warranty expired, and they tried to tell me that Lexus was not responsible. They did the TSB fix, but I still hear occasional knocking, and the wind noise is better, but still there.

Before, one corner of the moonroof could be moved with 1 finger; now it is solid.

Since it's been about 6 months since the fix, and I am well out of warranty, I am considering changing the gasket again myself. ANy thoughts baout how much better (or worse, of course) I might make it?
Based on everyone's experience here (including mine), changing the sunroof seal/gasket has not made the situation worse. In fact, its a vast improvement or a complete fix for most.
Old 11-02-17, 10:08 AM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by viperr
Based on everyone's experience here (including mine), changing the sunroof seal/gasket has not made the situation worse. In fact, its a vast improvement or a complete fix for most.

Thanks. Are there any special adjustment procedures?

Should the entire moonroof be flush with the roofline, above the roofline, or below?

After Lexus did mine I can see that it is not uniformly flush; perhaps an adjustment first....
Old 11-02-17, 03:59 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by shrinkwrap
Thanks. Are there any special adjustment procedures?

Should the entire moonroof be flush with the roofline, above the roofline, or below?

After Lexus did mine I can see that it is not uniformly flush; perhaps an adjustment first....
It should sit flush with the roof line. Take a look at the images posted on the third page of this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...or-free-3.html

You'll see the pics from the excellent write up from fellow member mryeh17...
Old 11-02-17, 04:26 PM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Got it. Thanks!
Old 11-05-17, 09:12 AM
Spideyman1
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Install Update

Originally Posted by Spideyman1
I 'thought' the exact same thing! The only issue I have is this sunroof seal which I will replace myself thanks to the DIY video and photos posted! Thanks!
I went to take out the (4) T25 screws, had a 3/8" ratchet drive with a bit, all were very had to break loose, stripped one, thought, now what ?!?!?! I was able to tilt the sunroof up and get a vise grip on the head of the screw and managed to get it free. Replaced the gasket, reassembled. Didn't drive it yet though.
Old 11-05-17, 09:16 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I went to take out the (4) T25 screws, had a 3/8" ratchet drive with a bit, all were very had to break loose, stripped one, thought, now what ?!?!?! I was able to tilt the sunroof up and get a vise grip on the head of the screw and managed to get it free. Replaced the gasket, reassembled. Didn't drive it yet though.
Similar thing happened to me when I went to replace the gasket. When none of the screws would loosen with moderate force, I ended up just replacing the gasket by putting the sunroof in tilt then slide position. It was right, but got it on.
Old 11-05-17, 09:18 AM
Spideyman1
Rookie

Originally Posted by yardie876
Similar thing happened to me when I went to replace the gasket. When none of the screws would loosen with moderate force, I ended up just replacing the gasket by putting the sunroof in tilt then slide position. It was right, but got it on.
I had seen the post on that, but I didn't' think I could get the gasket on with my bog meaty paws without removing the panel. Nice work!
Old 11-08-17, 02:09 AM
Spideyman1
Rookie

Thumbs up

Update - took for a drive in very wet 70+ mph, happy to report that the wind noise is completely gone. As others posted, makes no difference whether or not the sunroof shade is open or closed at highway speeds. Thanks to all the members who posted on this subject, I wouldn't even have to attempted to fix this without all their valuable input!
Old 11-08-17, 11:58 AM
GS350MIKE
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Mine was fixed under warranty last week. They replaced the sunroof seal and it cured the wind noise and the rattling. Now my new car is perfect.

Old 11-09-17, 05:33 PM
OneFunGS
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Those T25 screws are a pain in the ***! I ended up stripping out one of them. So I went to Lowes got some M5 x 10mm screws and replaced the front two with phillips head screws. The good news is that the seal is fixed and the wind noise is gone! WOO.

Took me about 2 hours because of the stripped screw. The seal took about 10mins to take off and put back on.
Old 03-04-18, 11:01 AM
mirto
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys. I wanted to try this for myself and I went about searching the internet for the part. The part number mentioned in this thread, 63251-30100, seems to be specific to the US since when searching for it only sellers from the US can be found. Does anyone have any idea how I can find the comparable part number for Europe?
Old 03-04-18, 05:41 PM
Bendaii
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tejanp
There is a TSB out on it. My friend who is a lexus tech told me to get it repaired as soon as i got the car because it will only get worse and is expensive to repair out of warranty. So i made up a bull**** excuse they performed the following TSB.

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMOTOR/TSb/...dPdf?id=175340
Not sure how TSBs work... would my 2013 80k+ mile FSport qualify?
Old 03-04-18, 07:43 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bendaii

I doubt it. I just ordered the new seal and will do it myself.
Old 03-05-18, 08:30 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by Bendaii

If you read the second part of the TSB from that link, you'll see that Toyota has clarified which cars they'll fix - the TSB indicates that it will be fixed only if you are currently under the factory 4yr/50k miles. It certainly doesn't hurt to ask your Lexus dealer if they'll fix it if you have an extended/platinum warranty.
Old 03-10-18, 05:05 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Just replaced the sunroof seal. Paid $43 delivered. Replacement took 30 minutes without removing sunroof. Night and day difference.

Quick Reply: Excessive wind noise from Sunroof repaired by dealer for free.