GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS350 vs LS460

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-17, 09:25 AM
waynedog
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts
Default GS350 vs LS460

Currently own a 2009 LS460. Have been an LS owner for >10 years (400/430/460). After all these years, looking for something different. Am 60 years old and really like the comfort ride of the LS. But would like something more fun to drive.

Has anyone ever moved from the LS to the GS? What are the biggest differences? Any regrets? Does the GS offer a blend of comfort and performance? Or should I look at the ES instead? How much comfort, quiet will I be giving up moving to the GS?
Old 05-24-17, 09:54 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

I don't have a LS460 but have a LS430 ultra luxury. I drive both on a regular basis. They feel like completely different cars to me. The LS430 is one of the most comfortable cars I've driven, the feeling is very isolated from the road but extremely smooth and good for trips. I just sold my 5 series which I've had for about 9 years, and had a M3 previously. After getting the GS, I ended up selling my BMW and don't really regret it. The GS is a very fun car to me, and has plenty of power and feels sporty. I wanted to get away from BMW, since my LS430 had been very good to me. The GS has some "bmw feel" to me, stock the engine sounds great, but it can be very quiet as well. The interior feel is very good, overall its probably not as comfortable as the LS, but it is still comfortable. The ride is not harsh, its a good blend of sporty. The one thing I didn't like about the GS would probably be the steering feel, since its all electronic now. But then again any modern car including BMW uses electronic steering. I don't have f-sport so I can't comment on how that may feel different. I think the GS is a really good mix for sport and comfort, I think the ES may be too boring to drive. Are you looking to replace the LS or add a GS? I'm a big fan of how they did the interior and dash on the GS, I was just in a brand new RX loander car and thought the GS looked better.
Old 05-24-17, 09:56 AM
btanchors
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

waynedog,

I'm not the best qualified to answer, as I have only owned two GS's - a 2003, and now, a 2017. I have never owned an LS, nor even driven one. But I can say the specific reasons I have chosen the GS both times, is that I believe the GS is the best compromise between a "Sports" car and a "Luxury" car. You can definitely find a sportier, more fun to drive car than the GS. I suspect the LS is more luxurious than the GS. But I love the blend of sportiness and luxury in the GS series. Plus, it is the perfect size for me - not too small or large.

I would also look closely at the interior size of the GS - I suspect you would lose a significant amount of space compared with the LS. But if that does not bother you, the GS would be an excellent choice.

For me, the IS series is just too cramped for me.

Also, in my opinion, the "ES" is not a true Lexus, but instead, a makeover of the Toyota Avalon. A very nice makeover, but not a true Lexus. I think the IS, GS, and LS were designed from the ground up to be Lexus models.

I don't know if this helps at all - I think your answer would best come from someone who has owned both....
Old 05-24-17, 10:40 AM
06ls430KTC
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by e60bmw
I don't have a LS460 but have a LS430 ultra luxury. I drive both on a regular basis. They feel like completely different cars to me. The LS430 is one of the most comfortable cars I've driven, the feeling is very isolated from the road but extremely smooth and good for trips. I just sold my 5 series which I've had for about 9 years, and had a M3 previously. After getting the GS, I ended up selling my BMW and don't really regret it. The GS is a very fun car to me, and has plenty of power and feels sporty. I wanted to get away from BMW, since my LS430 had been very good to me. The GS has some "bmw feel" to me, stock the engine sounds great, but it can be very quiet as well. The interior feel is very good, overall its probably not as comfortable as the LS, but it is still comfortable. The ride is not harsh, its a good blend of sporty. The one thing I didn't like about the GS would probably be the steering feel, since its all electronic now. But then again any modern car including BMW uses electronic steering. I don't have f-sport so I can't comment on how that may feel different. I think the GS is a really good mix for sport and comfort, I think the ES may be too boring to drive. Are you looking to replace the LS or add a GS? I'm a big fan of how they did the interior and dash on the GS, I was just in a brand new RX loander car and thought the GS looked better.
What he said! I had a 2006 LS430 with the Lux Package and now have a 2016 GS350 with the Lux Package. Very different cars. I loved the LS and love the GS. I have plenty of room in the front but anyone in the rear of the GS is not going to be overly comfy compared to the LS. Since they both had/have the Lux package, they're full of extras.

Have you considered a LS460 Fsport? Would that be enough to make the LS fun?
Old 05-24-17, 12:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I went the opposite way, from the 4GS to the LS, and I had LSs previously. As others have said, the GS is very different. Its significantly firmer, which you will feel around town. I'd recommend a luxury package with AVS, the interior upgrades are huge. In some ways my luxury GS was nicer inside than my LS, 18 way seats were better, leather was better, some more modern features the LS doesn't have such as humidity sensor for the windshield, S Flow in the HVAC, etc. Its also significantly smaller, and it feels tighter upfront and MUCH smaller in the back.

Its much firmer, which you will feel around town, bumps are sharper, but the car is very well controlled and at speed it rides quite well, its louder. Powertrain is significantly less refined, but some of that is intentional since the GS has the intake sound generator. You have more road noise. Power, the GS feels about the same as the LS. Less engine but much lighter.

The 4GS is a great car, a lot of fun to drive and a neat car to have because its almost like two cars in one. Would I go back to one from the LS460? No, but I can see why somebody would prefer the GS to the LS. So you should drive them extensively, see if you can live with one for a few days.

Just forget the ES. Nothing over the LS, and no sportiness to speak of. If I were you I would keep my 09 LS over trading for a brand new ES.
Old 05-24-17, 12:54 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

4GS is worlds apart from 4LS in isolation & refinement.

Have you thought about the new 5LS500 with the 3.5L V6 Twin Turbo due later in the year?
It may be luxurious, but sportier, and perhaps a little less refined than previous generations of LS's?

If you love isolation & refinement, might be best to stick with your LS460.

Last edited by peteharvey; 05-24-17 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-24-17, 05:43 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Have both.

LS is the better car. Quality is there. Very solid feeling/sounding car. Small details only some will notice. Just drives a bit like a boat and size of one.

GS is definitely a downgrade, but if you don't need the v8, it's not a bad choice. The car is easier to drive due to smaller size and better handling. GS feels like a smaller engine/car with a big cover on it. It's not ES/IS, but it's no LS.

Gas mpg wise, LS wins.. especially if you drive mostly on freeways.

Note: I have an AWD GS and RWD LS. I think RWD GS would be a little better than the AWD, so my review might be useless.
Old 05-24-17, 05:44 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

My brother has a 2011 LS460 and his ride is way smoother and cabin is much quieter compared to my FSports, maybe the Luxury package owners might have a different experience.
Old 05-24-17, 05:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1
My brother has a 2011 LS460 and his ride is way smoother and cabin is much quieter compared to my FSports, maybe the Luxury package owners might have a different experience.
The F Sport and the Luxury are pretty similar
Old 05-24-17, 09:58 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by waynedog
Currently own a 2009 LS460. Have been an LS owner for >10 years (400/430/460). After all these years, looking for something different. Am 60 years old and really like the comfort ride of the LS. But would like something more fun to drive.

Has anyone ever moved from the LS to the GS? What are the biggest differences? Any regrets? Does the GS offer a blend of comfort and performance? Or should I look at the ES instead? How much comfort, quiet will I be giving up moving to the GS?
As others have mentioned, don't waste any time looking at the ES unless you want a fairly nice, lower priced boat. And as far as boats go, it ranks right up there with barges on the "fun scale."
Old 05-25-17, 08:03 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

https://www.lexus.fr/car-models/gs/gs-300h/

If you guys ever get a chance to holiday in Europe, try Europe's GS300h 2.5L 4 Cylinder Hybrid.
It is so much softer, smoother and quieter than our 350's.
The suspension feels noticeably different.
Luckily Pres Akio didn't get his dirty hands on this one.
It's a pity he feels the need for Lexus to be someone else, or something else...
Old 05-26-17, 07:26 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Luckily Pres Akio didn't get his dirty hands on this one.
It's a pity he feels the need for Lexus to be someone else, or something else...
Except for those of us who like the direction Lexus is going...
Old 05-26-17, 07:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I find it very hard to believe that there are entirely different suspension components for the GS300h in Europe. And yes, Akio did design that. It's the same car.

Bottom line is Pete, you bought the wrong Lexus. You should be driving an LS or ES. You bought the sportiest Lexus sedan and complain about it being too sporty. Makes no sense.
Old 05-26-17, 12:20 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JDR76
Except for those of us who like the direction Lexus is going...
As long as we don't mind niche GS sales dipping to 14,484 at a time when E Class & Genesis G80 is selling some 51,000 & 30,000 units/year respectively...
Old 05-26-17, 12:30 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I find it very hard to believe that there are entirely different suspension components for the GS300h in Europe. And yes, Akio did design that. It's the same car.

Bottom line is Pete, you bought the wrong Lexus. You should be driving an LS or ES. You bought the sportiest Lexus sedan and complain about it being too sporty. Makes no sense.
Buddy, who said they used "entirely" different suspension components?
When you become more experience with suspension you'll find that they probably only changed the front coil springs and the front shock absorbers.
Sort of like this post here where they found out the ES350 & ES300h had different springs/dampers:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...ml#post8591820

And my mother's cousin's GS300h in Paris was running on the dreaded Dunlop SP Sport Maxx 050 235/45R18's too - yet it was much more compliant than ours.
Come to think of it, the original 2013 GS450h with 18" had a nice ride too, though I have never test driven the current refreshed 2016 GS450h with 19".

Karma - don't speak too soon Steve - wait till you see what Akio has for the forthcoming 5LS500 ride...

Quick Reply: GS350 vs LS460