GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Day 5 with dash cam - Accident

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-17, 06:42 PM
CTNYC
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by spoogenet
If the other insurance company accepts their client is responsible, you may be better off going through them, as what they owe you is independent of whatever coverage you do/don't have with your own policy.

Demand Lexus parts for the repairs.
I'm letting my insurance company handle talking with the at-fault party's insurance - Especially since my car isn't driveable, I don't have the time or patience for the other insurance company to drag out the process.

My insurance (Statefarm) went to the body shop to take a look at the damage. Estimate came out to a tad over $5100. My body shop is sourcing the parts (all new/oem, except for the headlight, which will be a used/refurbished unit) and has a target finish date of 5/31. I have full coverage on my car with a $100 deductible on collision (the difference in premium for $100 vs $500 deductible and $100 vs $1000 deductible was around $30 and $80 per 6 months).

I stopped by the body shop today to take a look at the car and price out how much it would be to fix a few other cosmetic items (i.e. small dings that were there when I bought the car). While I was in the garage, someone backed up into my rental car and drove away. The rental car's front bumper was popped out and the paint was deeply scratched/scuffed, so that's how my week has been going. Hopefully Hertz doesn't make too much of a fuss - the front bumper was already damaged at pickup... hopefully I'm not on the hook to repair that.
Old 05-16-17, 06:52 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Remind me not to stand too close to you, you're jinxed right now. Good luck on your repairs, glad nobody was injured.
The following users liked this post:
joedaddy1 (05-22-17)
Old 05-16-17, 07:16 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by CTNYC
I'm letting my insurance company handle talking with the at-fault party's insurance - Especially since my car isn't driveable, I don't have the time or patience for the other insurance company to drag out the process.

My insurance (Statefarm) went to the body shop to take a look at the damage. Estimate came out to a tad over $5100. My body shop is sourcing the parts (all new/oem, except for the headlight, which will be a used/refurbished unit) and has a target finish date of 5/31. I have full coverage on my car with a $100 deductible on collision (the difference in premium for $100 vs $500 deductible and $100 vs $1000 deductible was around $30 and $80 per 6 months).

I stopped by the body shop today to take a look at the car and price out how much it would be to fix a few other cosmetic items (i.e. small dings that were there when I bought the car). While I was in the garage, someone backed up into my rental car and drove away. The rental car's front bumper was popped out and the paint was deeply scratched/scuffed, so that's how my week has been going. Hopefully Hertz doesn't make too much of a fuss - the front bumper was already damaged at pickup... hopefully I'm not on the hook to repair that.

WHAT??! You didnt ask for camera footage?
Old 05-16-17, 09:18 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

There should be some video of who backed into your rental! Did you at least catch the car model and color?

Also, I wouldn't accept refurbished/used headlights. OEM new only!
Old 05-17-17, 06:24 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mikesd1980
Depends on settings. You don't have to provide footage on your dash cam if you choose not to. It would be good to see for reference later though.
That may not be entirely accurate. If the cops or the other driver see the dashcam, they can ask you to provide the footage (may need a warrant) - and deleting it could be considered destruction of evidence. My suggestion (I'm not a lawyer) would be not mention the dashcam at all (unless you are absolutely positively sure that it can't be used against you). Review the footage alone and then decide whether to present it as evidence or not. Let the other person make inaccurate statements (in the heat of the moment) and you can sort it out after looking at the footage.
Old 05-17-17, 07:29 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The other driver is incredibly lucky that no one was coming the other direction in that lane at the moment, as he really swerved into oncoming traffic. It could have very easily been a head-on situation.

Glad you have the cam and are okay.
Old 05-17-17, 07:33 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

This accident just bothers me on so many levels. We have people doing this in NYC, specifically on Staten Island Expressway where they jump in and out of the HOV lane to get ahead. Most of them don't qualify to be in the HOV lane but who cares. It creates a dangerous situation when you have cars coming at close to 50-60 mph and some idiot jumps into the HOV lane. There is a Youtube video of this that is exactly the same situation as yours. People just don't pay attention and/or don't care.

Ed
Old 05-17-17, 10:27 AM
Miamiboy87
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

What an idiot.. decides to put the blinker on at the last second and jump in.. I would've been pissed!
Old 05-20-17, 05:34 AM
marjenmill
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
Good thing you had a camera. Or else it could get sticky.

diminished value is typically 15-20% of your repair cost. Get a dealer appraisal asap. Good luck!
I had a 'minor' accident (no airbags, driveable after accident) which was caught on my dashcam, and the cost to get all original Lexus parts was $9k (the headlight alone was $1,732 just for the part). My dealer would not give me an appraisal because they said they would not go to court over it. I gathered my own information on the web on similar models and mileages, both with and without accidents to note the price differences.

Diminished value should be filed as a separate claim to the insurance company, and the value is VERY negotiable as I found out. The original insurance adjuster told me on the phone that they estimated my diminished value would be $144 based on his calculation, though once my car was fixed they automatically sent me a check for $600 which I did not cash. Had a negotiation call with a senior insurance adjuster and ended up with another check for $1,400 for a total $2,000 in diminished value. Do your homework, though be reasonable.
Old 07-14-17, 02:51 PM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I am curious. Do dash cams note/record speed automatically, or is it user changeable?
Old 07-14-17, 06:08 PM
ChazZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shrinkwrap
I am curious. Do dash cams note/record speed automatically, or is it user changeable?
I think it depends on the quality of the dash cam. Some have GPS built in (or add on) which calculates your speed. Similar to using a navigation App like "Waze" on your smartphone since the phone already has GPS.
Old 07-17-17, 08:25 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

I have read that you probably don't want the speed recorded. If you are going over the speed limit at all then the other party's insurance will try to leverage that evidence against you.
The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (07-17-17)
Old 07-19-17, 11:14 PM
xRYD3Rx
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I need a dashcam asap.
Which one will you guys recommend?
Old 07-20-17, 11:33 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

Just hardwired
this this
using
this this
by tapping into power from the windshield wiper sensor, which is only powered when the car is on.

Wiring details.