GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Day 5 with dash cam - Accident

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-17, 09:52 AM
TheWizard
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Playing Devil's Advocate here.....his insurance may say you were driving too fast for the weather conditions and that you need to maintain control of your car at all times. Compared to everyone else, you were going must faster and seemed to be accelerating when you can clearly see red tail lights ahead.
On another note, you shoved him into oncoming traffic....luckily no one was there.

Hope insurance settles in your favor and the repair is flawless.
Old 05-12-17, 09:58 AM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Im nervous about getting a dashcam for my wife as it may prove its her fault :P

is the dashcam always on/recording?
Old 05-12-17, 10:00 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

I bet u that fool didn't bother to look before merging. Happens all the time, they think the world revolves around them.
Old 05-12-17, 10:12 AM
mikesd1980
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Torii

Depends on settings. You don't have to provide footage on your dash cam if you choose not to. It would be good to see for reference later though.
Old 05-12-17, 10:43 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
The part that sucks is your going to have an accident on the vehicle history and that will kill the resale value if you try to sell it some day, regardless of how well it's repaired.

At least the dash cam makes it 100% clear who was at fault.
A accident does not always kill resale value especially when it is minor. The owner has proof this was a very minor fender bender with video and pictures, I would just document and keep everything to have to give to any potential buyer or dealership. There is no reason something so minor like that can not be repaired to look and function as new. It would not bother me to buy a car with a minor accident or two which is rarer and rarer these to find one without a accident these days as long as there is some proof it was minor. If someone or a dealer tries to give you much less for the car just because there is a record show them the proof it is minor and make a copy to give to them so they can show a buyer and say there is no reason to lower the cost for a minor accident like that when I have proof it was minor and nothing serious/possible frame damaging. Some people may skip it because it has record of a accident or some may skip it because they can't take money off but likely someone is going to buy it especially if it is attractively priced.

I really wished accident reports/carfax went into more detail about the accident/damage/severity and could provide pictures so you know if it was something serious with really bad damage or just a minor fender bender which is not something to really worry about.

Last edited by UDel; 05-12-17 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-12-17, 11:04 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
A accident does not always kill resale value especially when it is minor. The owner has proof this was a very minor fender bender with video and pictures, I would just document and keep everything to have to give to any potential buyer or dealership. There is no reason something so minor like that can not be repaired to look and function as new. It would not bother me to buy a car with a minor accident or two which is rarer and rarer these days as long as there is some proof it was minor. If someone or a dealer tries to give you much less for the car just because there is a record show them the proof it is minor and make a copy to give to them so they can show a buyer and say there is no reason to lower the cost for a minor accident like that when I have proof it was minor and nothing serious/possible frame damaging. Some people may skip it because it has record of a accident or some may skip it because they can't take money off but likely someone is going to buy it especially if it is attractively priced.

I really wished accident reports/carfax went into more detail about the accident/damage/severity and could provide pictures so you know if it was something serious with really bad damage or just a minor fender bender which is not something to really worry about.
minor accident doesn't bother me.. but you can be assured that I'll be look for an extra 10 to 15% discount vs a PERFECT never fixed car..
there's no such thing as a PERFECT paint match job.. it's along the same lines as saying "It feels like a new car now.." I cringed EVERY TIME someone says that.. especially if they bought the car used.. lol
Old 05-12-17, 11:18 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheWizard
Playing Devil's Advocate here.....his insurance may say you were driving too fast for the weather conditions and that you need to maintain control of your car at all times. Compared to everyone else, you were going must faster and seemed to be accelerating when you can clearly see red tail lights ahead.
On another note, you shoved him into oncoming traffic....luckily no one was there.

Hope insurance settles in your favor and the repair is flawless.
The other driver entered his lane from another lane and caused a collision so it does not really matter the speed, the other driver should have looked first to make sure there was no oncoming traffic to enter a different lane. He was traveling faster then other traffic because traffic in the right hand lane was pretty much stopped while his lane was wide open.

I do agree that based on my previous experiences with inattentive drivers/drivers doing stupid things especially in the rain I would not have been traveling that fast even if it was the speed limit. I would be coasting with my foot over the brake in anticipation of other drivers doing things like what happened but it is not illegal to travel the speed limit in the rain even though it increases the likeliness of not being able to brake soon enough. If the streets were dry the OP might have been able to brake and avoid the accident especially if he had his foot over the brake while coasting.
Old 05-12-17, 11:26 AM
Torii
Intermediate

when I traded in my 06 lexus I got top value and it had 2 minor collisions on it...gave me 8k on trade and highest blue/black book was 7k...ofc they had wiggle room with trade...but I valued my car much lower than what the dealer gave me, sight unseen, dropped the vehicle off later that evening.
Old 05-12-17, 11:29 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
minor accident doesn't bother me.. but you can be assured that I'll be look for an extra 10 to 15% discount vs a PERFECT never fixed car..
there's no such thing as a PERFECT paint match job.. it's along the same lines as saying "It feels like a new car now.." I cringed EVERY TIME someone says that.. especially if they bought the car used.. lol
His is a base black car with no metal flake, no real paint matching issues thankfully. He can always reject a lower offer based on the accident and say the accident is minor and repair is perfect and I have proof with pictures and video, that is what I would do in his position, some may walk away but I doubt many would pass up a car in their area within their price range, especially priced attractively just because it had that minor damage at one time. Maybe if it was a rare collector car a minor accident would affect value more but this is a relatively common basic 4 door sedan with no collectibility.
Old 05-12-17, 11:38 AM
korupted
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been planning to buy a dashcam for awhile now. After seeing incidents like this, it's definitely worth the investment especially when the other party tries to point fingers.
Old 05-12-17, 11:55 AM
ChronoR
Pole Position

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

I ordered my dashcam the moment I brought my GS450h home. Was nervous all week until it arrived since so very often you hear stories of people getting into accidents with their new cars.
Old 05-12-17, 12:20 PM
Torii
Intermediate

some states have no fault insurance so it may not matter unless you get sued or dont have enough coverage.
Old 05-12-17, 05:05 PM
CTNYC
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
Good thing you had a camera. Or else it could get sticky.

diminished value is typically 15-20% of your repair cost. Get a dealer appraisal asap. Good luck!
Yup - my insurance company viewed my footage and said that they are putting 100% blame on the other guy... but that doesn't necessarily mean that the other insurance company will accept liability. I'm just letting my insurance company take care of it.

Originally Posted by Luffy808
I wonder what the persons face looked like when you told them you had a dash cam that recorded everything and he cut you off! LOL. Im not an expert but it seems like he did not take the time to properly check you had the right of way before that person cut you off! What does your insurance company say and who is at fault? GL
He seemed to be one of those people who would never admit that they are wrong - didn't want to hear it, in his head, I rear ended him, end of story. Didn't pick a fight, just went back to my car and patiently waited for the tow truck.

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
I hope you are okay.

what model of dash cam? I like how I can read the license plate.

Definitely push for diminished value claim.
Thanks. The dashcam is a Falcon Zero (
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014S09OKO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014S09OKO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
) Very reasonable $100. Althoguh I only had it less than a week, my only complaints about the dash cam is that there is no way to fast forward through a clip on the unit. Also, the buttons/navigating through the options is not very intuitive, but it's one of those units that you pretty much mount and the factory settings are there and will record every time the unit gets power and turn off when the power is off. I'll push a bit, but from the sounds of it, I'm not going to get far.

Originally Posted by NYLiqPlat
Quite unfortunate but glad you're okay. Idiots like that are one of the main reasons why I got a dashcam--there's just too many of them on the road.

I'm thinking it'll be more than $3500 worth of damages. My car got backed into last year and this came out to $3400. Needed a new rear bumper and trunk.
Ouch seeing that, maybe so... I am guesstimating, but seeing that an OEM head light can go upwards of $2k for parts alone (although my insurance probably will use CAPA certified parts)
Originally Posted by er34
It's ridiculous how the guy dared to claim you rear-ended him with the damage being on your passenger side front corner and his driver side rear quarter, and the cop didn't arrest him on the spot for giving a false statement(then again, 'Merica law/rights never ceases to amuse me).... Even without the dash cam, it doesn't take a physicist to figure that one out, it's simply not possible to "rear-end" someone in this manner.
yeah - you would assume that it would be cut and dry...
Originally Posted by 06ls430KTC
I'm curious if you were cited if you don't mind me asking?
No citations were made.

Mine is/was just plugged into the cigarette lighter, so whenever the accessory power is on, the dash cam is on.
Originally Posted by UDel
The other driver entered his lane from another lane and caused a collision so it does not really matter the speed, the other driver should have looked first to make sure there was no oncoming traffic to enter a different lane. He was traveling faster then other traffic because traffic in the right hand lane was pretty much stopped while his lane was wide open.

I do agree that based on my previous experiences with inattentive drivers/drivers doing stupid things especially in the rain I would not have been traveling that fast even if it was the speed limit. I would be coasting with my foot over the brake in anticipation of other drivers doing things like what happened but it is not illegal to travel the speed limit in the rain even though it increases the likeliness of not being able to brake soon enough. If the streets were dry the OP might have been able to brake and avoid the accident especially if he had his foot over the brake while coasting.
That's more than fair - While I personally don't think any blame should be put on me from an insurance standpoint for this particular accident. Just my personal experiences with driving in the DC the last 5 years has made me the driver I am today.

Last edited by CTNYC; 05-18-17 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-12-17, 07:38 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

when I traded in my 06 lexus I got top value and it had 2 minor collisions on it...gave me 8k on trade and highest blue/black book was 7k...ofc they had wiggle room with trade...but I valued my car much lower than what the dealer gave me, sight unseen, dropped the vehicle off later that evening.
yea most likely you paid very close to msrp for the new car.

dealers aren't in businesss to lose money
Old 05-14-17, 09:05 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

If the other insurance company accepts their client is responsible, you may be better off going through them, as what they owe you is independent of whatever coverage you do/don't have with your own policy.

Demand Lexus parts for the repairs.

Quick Reply: Day 5 with dash cam - Accident