GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Check BSM light stays on

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-17, 08:40 AM
kbig
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Check BSM light stays on

I have this "Check BSM" light on now. I have a 2014 GS 350 F sport RWD.
I was driving on the highway about 70 mph when it came on. It stays lit, it doesn't turn off unless I disable the function. What can the problem be?
I was in an accident about 3 weeks prior to the Check BSM light coming on, idk if that has anything to do with it since the light came on while I was just driving down the highway, which I've done several times in those 3 weeks after the accident with no problem.
When I take it to the dealer, I'm afraid to mention the accident as they may try to blame it on the accident and thus void the warranty.
What do you guys think?
Old 05-09-17, 10:28 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is there any damage to the car as a result of the accident? You don't have to tell them, but if the check BSM warning is because of the accident, odds are that they will figure that out.
Old 05-09-17, 11:01 AM
kbig
Rookie

Yes there was damage. I just got my car back from my local shop, replaced damage parts with oem parts.
Old 05-09-17, 11:03 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

The BSM sensor is in the rear bumper, right where that damage occurred. I'd bet it was damaged.
Old 05-09-17, 11:22 AM
kbig
Rookie

It was working fine until 3 weeks after the accident though...
i was just cruising on the highway when it turned on.
Any idea how much it costs to repair/ replace? Or should cost rather.
Old 05-09-17, 11:40 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by kbig
It was working fine until 3 weeks after the accident though...
i was just cruising on the highway when it turned on.
Any idea how much it costs to repair/ replace? Or should cost rather.
Maybe you could take it to the dealer and just hear what the say as to whether they will cover it. If its just the rear, they may not know its been in an accident since the local shop you used replaced parts with OEM stuff...unless you reported the accident and its on carfax-type documentation that they can access.

I believe the sensor is housed by a retainer which is the body-colored circles we see on our front-rear bumpers. The sensor with the body colored retainer will likely cost $200-$300 (little sensors are always so expensive!). I think a dealer will probably charge a lot to install it (probably as much as the parts or more) but here's a guy who has done it on his RX350:
Old 05-09-17, 11:48 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Maybe you could take it to the dealer and just hear what the say as to whether they will cover it. If its just the rear, they may not know its been in an accident since the local shop you used replaced parts with OEM stuff...unless you reported the accident and its on carfax-type documentation that they can access.

I believe the sensor is housed by a retainer which is the body-colored circles we see on our front-rear bumpers. The sensor and body colored retainer will likely cost $200-$300 (little sensors are always so expensive!). I think a dealer will probably charge a lot to install it (probably as much as the parts or more) but here's a guy who has done it on his RX350:
Those round things are the sonar sensors for the parking assist system.

Here are the components for the BSM system. As assumed, they are not cheap.

http://www.oemlexusparts.com/2014-le...rning-8947200/
Old 05-09-17, 12:05 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

I assume you filed a claim with your insurance to repair the damage to your car. Just let your insurance know that your BSM was apparently damaged in the accident and the light remains On. It should be part of the [total] repair process, which happened to not be detected during the estimate or when the body work was done.
Old 05-09-17, 12:31 PM
songoku
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I assume you filed a claim with your insurance to repair the damage to your car. Just let your insurance know that your BSM was apparently damaged in the accident and the light remains On. It should be part of the [total] repair process, which happened to not be detected during the estimate or when the body work was done.
Agree with bclexus..

Take the vehicle back to the repair shop and have them check it out. Call you insurance company and let them know as well.

Sounds like it's accident related problem that was not corrected.
Old 05-09-17, 12:34 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

I agree with bclexus...you should call your insurance and let them know that repairs weren't complete and take it back for them to fix/replace anything pertaining to the BSM. Your rear damage is exactly where the BSM sensors are located. Don't know how to explain how it functioned for 3 weeks though.
Old 05-09-17, 01:25 PM
kbig
Rookie

Originally Posted by dchar
I agree with bclexus...you should call your insurance and let them know that repairs weren't complete and take it back for them to fix/replace anything pertaining to the BSM. Your rear damage is exactly where the BSM sensors are located. Don't know how to explain how it functioned for 3 weeks though.
Same, that's what I'm wondering. Could be a separate issue. I don't know.
Thanks guys.
Old 05-10-17, 09:36 AM
kbig
Rookie

So I went to the Lexus dealership. They were able to tell I was in a minor accident. They said the sensor is misaligned and out of range. And the cost is $483.00 to realign it and see if it works and "hopefully" it doesn't need to be replaced.
I'll take it to my local shop and see what they can do about it.
Old 05-10-17, 10:16 AM
lovemyGSFS
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

that sucks 500.00 bucks to realign it WTF
Old 05-10-17, 04:06 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Originally Posted by kbig
So I went to the Lexus dealership. They were able to tell I was in a minor accident. They said the sensor is misaligned and out of range. And the cost is $483.00 to realign it and see if it works and "hopefully" it doesn't need to be replaced.
I'll take it to my local shop and see what they can do about it.
You should be able to have this repaired/replaced at no-charge to you. Contact the body shop that repaired your car to have the sensor aligned. If that does not fix it the body shop (or you) can contact your insurance to have this fixed as part of the original repair job, which was not noticed until shortly after the car was returned to you. In no way should you have to pay for this...

Maybe I have misunderstood your comments, but it appears that you think you will have to pay for this matter to be corrected...

Last edited by bclexus; 05-10-17 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-10-17, 06:03 PM
lovemyGSFS
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree man take it back to the body shop you shouldn't have to pay a dime it was hit on that side

Quick Reply: Check BSM light stays on