GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

SafeLite saga

Old 04-24-17, 06:17 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Default SafeLite saga

A few weeks ago, I got the ominous pebble chip on the top left corner of the windshield. Insurance covers the first attempt a repair which spidered a week later. Another insurance call becomes my $500 deductible and an appointment for Safelite to replace it in my driveway.

First attempt, they ordered the wrong glass. Rescheduled. Second attempt, ordered right glass (OEM replacement) but arrived damaged. Rescheduled. Third attempt, right glass, undamaged. First car of the day, shows up on time ready to get it finished. I do the nice car owner thing and offer any coffee/water, blah blah blah. 90 or so minutes later he says he's done. Everything from a glance looks ok. Instructs me to not drive it for an hour and don't give her a bath for a couple days. I pay my $500 and close the doors.

Later that afternoon, I roll out to go play a show and just happen to notice that the drivers-side windshield wiper arm looks odd under the hood. Curiously, I pull up on the wiper to get it to the winter-mode position...it wont pop up. My assumption, he switched them or clocked them wrong. No time to look further, I pack my drums and stuff into the wife's jeep and roll out. Call the Safelite guy while driving and let him know that the wipers are not correct. He is super-apologetic and says he can be back at the vehicle in an hour. I tell him to text me when he arrives and I'll unlock it through Enform. All that goes according to plan. He says he re-clocked them correctly and if there is anything else wrong to call him again.

I didn't get a chance to check it till the next morning. Wipers - still clocked wrong. Rear-view mirror - wobbling on the mount (not tightened down). So, I re-clock the wipers, tighten the mirror and check to see that everything else works. No obvious leaks. HUD doesn't look like it needs calibration. Auto-sense works.

Anything else I should/can check?

So, let's say that I'm less than impressed with the Safelite experience. Pretty sure they're not getting 10s from me. At least they vacuumed out my interior and cleaned all the glass on the car.

Anything else I should be functional testing?
Old 04-24-17, 08:43 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

I have never used Safelite but others here have said they have had less than stellar experience with them.
Old 04-24-17, 08:57 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

My experience with Safelite was horrendous. They damaged my car and said it didn't matter because it wasn't that nice of a car anyway...
Old 04-24-17, 09:37 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
My experience with Safelite was horrendous. They damaged my car and said it didn't matter because it wasn't that nice of a car anyway...
What the???

"Sir, your car is a POS so there's no need for us to take care of it!"
Old 04-24-17, 06:28 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

I did fix a small chip on my last GS and the guy was very professional and did it right in the first time nothing like the bs u had gone through. Call the customer and let them know the guy didn't do it right at the first place and if there's any further problems ull call them back.
Old 04-25-17, 05:20 AM
Spideyman1
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1
I did fix a small chip on my last GS and the guy was very professional and did it right in the first time nothing like the bs u had gone through. Call the customer and let them know the guy didn't do it right at the first place and if there's any further problems ull call them back.
This has also been my experience with Safelite. I've used them to replace windshields and repair chips, never had any issues or problems. They were always professional and clean up and did the job right. I guess it depends on who's running the local shop?
Old 04-25-17, 06:18 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1
Originally Posted by Spideyman1
This has also been my experience with Safelite. I've used them to replace windshields and repair chips, never had any issues or problems. They were always professional and clean up and did the job right. I guess it depends on who's running the local shop?
Had no issues with the guy per se. Super polite; confidence was not a problem but the product stands by itself. Even the chip repair...I get it. Might not always take well and is susceptible to further cracking. Everything after that though is a full blemish on Safelite as a whole. The long supply delays and then the lack of attention to detail certainly pissed me off, but more-so make me question the rest of the job.

It's been raining cats and dogs here and no apparent leaks. Auto-sense is performing as it should. I'll fulfill my due diligence and let both my insurance company and Safelite know how it went.
Old 04-25-17, 06:30 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldn't let Safelite clean my windshield .Buying a Safelite windshield and have them do the install.NFW.
Safelite to me is like going to a quick change lube shop.
Roll the dice!
Old 04-25-17, 10:06 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I wouldn't let Safelite clean my windshield .Buying a Safelite windshield and have them do the install.NFW.
Safelite to me is like going to a quick change lube shop.
Roll the dice!
It was a Lexus OEM windshield. I would have refused the aftermarket if they tried to go that way.
Old 04-27-17, 02:06 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If you have wiper defrosters you should check that. It would be a black band across the bottom of the windshield directly underneath the parked wiper blades. You will also have a wiper defroster button on the dash.