GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Where do have your GS serviced?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-17, 06:58 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mattg43
Ok, that makes sense. Never heard of the F package just referred to by the wheel width, but then this is my first Lexus, so not sure how those things go.

But beyond that, what extra stuff does Lexus charge for on an oil change package vs just an oil change? Hard to believe they actually charge for tire rotation though - with our German and British cars any other check/refill/inspection/rotations/new wiper blades was always done free of charge, even though not mentioned in any of the advertising or service quotes. I kind of assumed it would be similar with L, but if they dont do basic inspections with rotation, that kinda sucks. I dont really need someone to check my washer fluid, but it was nice knowing things like my front and rear pad depth remaining whenever I had anything done, if for nothing else than knowing how fast things were wearing as time went on.

I wouldnt think L played the same games as the domestics on nickel and dime-ing, I was hoping the back end experience was more along the lines of the German brands.
like the Germans, Lexus does offer the service in packages with set prices for each vehicle. But i refuse to pay over $200 for an oil change and 30 check inspections with topping off fluids. Especially my tires can not be rotated (staggard tire size). I dont need them to tell me my tire thread are getting low and try to up sell me with their marked up pricing either. BTW I check my engine bay visually before i wash my car anyways.
Old 04-21-17, 07:28 PM
mattg43
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ssmoked
like the Germans, Lexus does offer the service in packages with set prices for each vehicle. But i refuse to pay over $200 for an oil change and 30 check inspections with topping off fluids. Especially my tires can not be rotated (staggard tire size). I dont need them to tell me my tire thread are getting low and try to up sell me with their marked up pricing either. BTW I check my engine bay visually before i wash my car anyways.

Ouch, $200 for an oil change service!? Thats twice what I am used to, though they did always seem to have a "special" running vs the standard price.

I am with you on things like tires (including rotation), I know where my fluids are, and to be fair, zee Germans are the only ones I really took to a dealer anyways. And unlike you, I am lucky enough to have the time (usually) and equipment to do things like my own oil changes (gotta make that 2 post lift worth while), but sometimes just getting a service done at the dealer makes sense. But not at those prices.

I did some research with the "Lexus Tire Center" sale ($100 off with 4) and they were not really comprable to other local shops, but normally things like oil changes are not that drastically different.

Ill have to find the place where I ordered filters for my Taco a few years back and start getting prepared once my 2 free ones are done. I suppose I ought to get a pad depth gauge if I decide that is important to me as well, but I am really hoping this car costs less, and needs fewer replacements than the Brembos on the last car.
Old 04-22-17, 01:57 PM
chay2263
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

As long as its under CPO warranty it will be going to Lexus dealer. After that, I'll be doing all the regular maintenance. I do have a extended bumper to bumper until 2023 so if anything major happens, I just drop it off at the Lexus dealer and let them take care of it.
Old 04-22-17, 09:23 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Lexservice in Los Angeles. They have two locations. They use Toyota/Lexus parts and run a clean and tidy shop. They also service other makes, but mostly Lexus I believe.
Old 04-23-17, 08:05 AM
Kirenworb
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always get mine serviced at Lexus. I deal with the same service guy every time. If hes not there I don't go. When it came time for the 15000 mile service he told me I could skip that because of the staggered tires. The main thing they do is rotate the tires and they can't do that with staggered tires. He had the car inspected/washed, reset the timer and sent me on my way.

As to taking it to the Toyota dealer I won't do that here because the Toyota dealer that is closer sucks. I drive to Nashville to get or service any brand of car. Its cheaper and they treat you better, Its worth the 60 mile drive. I even drive past a Lexus dealer to go to my preferred dealer

Gone:
2007 ES 350
2011 ES 350
Old 04-23-17, 10:20 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Kirenworb
I always get mine serviced at Lexus. I deal with the same service guy every time. If hes not there I don't go. When it came time for the 15000 mile service he told me I could skip that because of the staggered tires. The main thing they do is rotate the tires and they can't do that with staggered tires. He had the car inspected/washed, reset the timer and sent me on my way.

As to taking it to the Toyota dealer I won't do that here because the Toyota dealer that is closer sucks. I drive to Nashville to get or service any brand of car. Its cheaper and they treat you better, Its worth the 60 mile drive. I even drive past a Lexus dealer to go to my preferred dealer

Gone:
2007 ES 350
2011 ES 350
What is the Lexus dealer you prefer in Nashville? I might be going that way for a car/to have it inspected.
Old 04-23-17, 03:52 PM
Kirenworb
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lexus of Cool Springs (1636 Westgate Circle Brentwood TN 37027)

The other one is owned by the same people but I have tried to use them twice and will never go there again.

Gone:
2007 ES 350
2011 ES 350
Old 04-24-17, 10:18 AM
Warchant
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Used to go to the local Lexus dealer for $120 oil changes. Started going to my local Toyota dealer who does it for $60, and they have a much much nicer waiting area with better snacks, fountain soda machine, and they do things like free seated massages on Wednesdays. Much nicer experience all around.

Edit: almost forgot, the Toyota dealer does add the service info to my Lexus service history. Also, needed rear brakes done and my Lexus dealer quoted me at almost $900. Bought OEM parts online and took them to the Toyota dealer and saved a little more than half of what Lexus quoted me at.

Last edited by Warchant; 04-24-17 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-24-17, 12:10 PM
songoku
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
Yes, they can add it to the history.

I use my local Lexus dealer. They are actually quite reasonable. They usually have an oil and oil filter change (synthetic) special for $69. The convenience of loaner car for the weekend also really helps. I usually do the air filters myself. For brake pads/rotors, I order OEM parts and have an independent mechanic do it.
Can you share the dealer info?

The cheapest I found was a coupon for $99 (full Synthetic) from Longo Lexus.

Last time, I bought Mobil 1 from walmart & OE filter from the dealer and paid $35 for labor at the Westminster Lexus.
Old 04-24-17, 06:24 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by songoku

Last time, I bought Mobil 1 from walmart & OE filter from the dealer and paid $35 for labor at the Westminster Lexus.
Wow I didn't know if we could source our own parts and let them just put it on for you.
Old 04-24-17, 06:35 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by songoku

The following 2 users liked this post by dchar:
itjustme (04-25-17), songoku (04-25-17)
Old 04-26-17, 03:25 AM
Spideyman1
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Warchant
...Edit: almost forgot, the Toyota dealer does add the service info to my Lexus service history. Also, needed rear brakes done and my Lexus dealer quoted me at almost $900. Bought OEM parts online and took them to the Toyota dealer and saved a little more than half of what Lexus quoted me at.
Also, if you lookup the Lexus part number and check the Toyota part online, you can usually get them cheaper from Toyota - they are the exact same part. I think it was Bosch Toyota I used last time I did the brakes on my wife's RX350, the majority of the mechanical parts are identical to the Highlander and they share the same part numbers. Stuff like oil filters, crush washers, etc are the same parts.
Old 05-08-17, 11:24 AM
CouveGS
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Just scheduled my first oil change at Toyota. Just hit 27k so I am curious what they will suggest on my visit. Will report back on my experience with Toyota.