GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus CPO GS 350 with aftermarket parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-17, 11:55 PM
infinities
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus CPO GS 350 with aftermarket parts

I bought my CPO GS back in 2015. Recently, I have to take my car to the dealership for the 30,000 service. However, they called me back and told me that they found out the back spring is an aftermarket part (different color than the standard Lexus spring). My question is that is it okay for a Lexus CPO to have aftermarket parts? Please advise
Old 04-09-17, 07:26 AM
krumsta
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Is your car lowered? Did you know your car had aftermarket parts when you bought it?

i have a 2014 COO and 2 out of 4 struts are aftermarket.

I guess my question is why does it matter to the Lexus dealer, I believe the 30k like service is minor anyway.
Old 04-09-17, 10:36 AM
infinities
Driver School Candidate

I don't think my car is lowered. I had no clue the car had aftermarket parts when i bought it. I trusted the CPO inspection.
The reason why they checked it is because I told them i heard some squeaky sound at the back of my car and i think it might be the spring. They checked it and told me they found out those are aftermarket parts.
Old 04-09-17, 10:38 AM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

Cpo car need to be all oem to be cpo. If it's used car that's diff
Old 04-09-17, 10:39 AM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by infinities
I don't think my car is lowered. I had no clue the car had aftermarket parts when i bought it. I trusted the CPO inspection.
The reason why they checked it is because I told them i heard some squeaky sound at the back of my car and i think it might be the spring. They checked it and told me they found out those are aftermarket parts.
I would use that against them.

If they claimed they did the CPO inspection, then why did they not catch it then? And then they sold it as CPO so now they are some what accountable in my mind. I would go after them with that and also call Lexus.
Old 04-09-17, 10:19 PM
AceGS350F
Driver School Candidate

Default I don't mean to offend you. But, "if the l were aftermarket".

Originally Posted by infinities
I bought my CPO GS back in 2015. Recently, I have to take my car to the dealership for the 30,000 service. However, they called me back and told me that they found out the back spring is an aftermarket part (different color than the standard Lexus spring). My question is that is it okay for a Lexus CPO to have aftermarket parts? Please advise
I don't mean to offend you. But, "if the rear springs were aftermarket". How you didn't notice the difference when you bought the car? I mean, the GS350 is already uneven stock. I imagine with rear lowering springs your car looks like a Tacoma with a 2 inch front lift.
Old 04-11-17, 09:15 PM
flipnbrit
Driver School Candidate

When I was shopping, I found a lowered CPO 2014 GS350 at a dealership in MA. Salesperson denied it was lowered.
Old 04-12-17, 10:22 AM
lovemyGSFS
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Wow that makes me wonder if there really inspecting these cars . how can they even CPO that car with aftermarket parts if it were mine I'd call corporate that's bull****
Old 04-12-17, 10:46 AM
krumsta
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the same issue, found out that 2 of my struts are made by KYB, not sure if they are even the type that dampen, so taking it to the Lexus dealer where I bought it from to inspect.
Old 04-12-17, 11:03 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,134 Likes on 841 Posts

Originally Posted by lovemyGSFS
Wow that makes me wonder if there really inspecting these cars . how can they even CPO that car with aftermarket parts if it were mine I'd call corporate that's bull****
Agreed. In my experience, CPO is just a marketing tool. There are no standards that are properly adhered to...its just based on how good the dealership and its personnel are at adhering to the commonalities required by CPO. At one dealership, some CPO cars are reconditioned to almost "Brand new". Other dealerships, the bumpers are scuffed or the brakes/rotors are at their CPO minimums, or modifications and aftermarket parts are ignored.

When I bought my CPO IS350, there was a loud noise coming from the engine one day. I had NO idea and it sounded strange. It was a high pitched noise. Apparently, the previous owner had a deer whistle/warning device installed under the hood near the latch and the battery/device itself was malfunctioning. My first question was how come it was left in the car as a "CPO" item. When I took it back to the dealership, they removed the device free of charge. If it was there, at least let me know about it and give me an option to keep it or not.Two of the four wheels were out of round, noticed it after purchase and they removed it no charge. I didn't need it and felt weary about the CPO inspection...

When I bought my CPO GS350, the front bumper was scuffed pretty badly and when I asked about that, they said it was "OK" per their CPO standards and if it wasn't OK with me, they would recondition it (they were trying and hoping to get by without doing the work). I then used that fact to negotiate for other things to compensate for their lack of "inspection."

My dad's CPO '11 GS350 had a crack on the underside of the bumper that you could have only seen if you stuck your head underneath the bumper. The assumption for a CPO car would be that they would have check this, saw it and fixed it. After we already were about the drive off, my wife noticed the crack and they said they would send us a loaner and fix the bumper free of charge.

How in the world do they miss these obvious items goes back to the simple fact that CPO is more of a marketing tool (IMHO) to help folks feel more comfortable with buying and paying more $$$ for a warrantied, used car. Finally, when I asked my dealership for the CPO checklist for our cars...they could never produce a paper with the technician who inspected the car and his/her notes. Go figured.

Sorry for the rant and long post! Just thought i'd share...

Last edited by AJLex19; 04-12-17 at 11:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
LatinLS430 (04-12-17)