GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Rattle noises from either the glove compartment/trim

Old 04-05-17, 08:51 AM
saifm73
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle noises from either the glove compartment/trim

Hi, i have a 2015 gs250 fsport and was wondering if any of y'all have a problem with the rattle noises coming from the glove compartment or the trim that is above it? I'm trying to figure out where it is coming from. If i put light pressure on the glove compartment, it stops rattling and if i put pressure on the trim it also stops rattling. I took it to lexus and they tighten all the bolt on the glove compartment but i still hear it. Can someone help me out?
Old 04-05-17, 09:39 AM
songoku
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by saifm73
Hi, i have a 2015 gs250 fsport and was wondering if any of y'all have a problem with the rattle noises coming from the glove compartment or the trim that is above it? I'm trying to figure out where it is coming from. If i put light pressure on the glove compartment, it stops rattling and if i put pressure on the trim it also stops rattling. I took it to lexus and they tighten all the bolt on the glove compartment but i still hear it. Can someone help me out?
Could it be coming from Sunroof?

There is TSB for sunroof rattling.
Old 04-05-17, 11:54 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,128 Likes on 837 Posts

I've experienced the same problem lately. Upon initial investigation, feels like the glove box door itself may be somewhat loose because whenever my passenger puts pressure against it, the noise goes away. It hasn't bothered me enough to try to track it down.

To start, I'll likely remove everything from the glovebox and try to hear the noise again. In the past, I removed the trim around that area to tap the footwell lights for my illuminated door sill install...my best guess for now is that if its not the actual glove box door, it could actually be something around the passenger side IP cover (the piece right below the glove box door) that has become loose.
Old 04-05-17, 12:05 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,413 Posts

You might want to check the cabin air filter compartment door/cover.
Old 04-05-17, 01:49 PM
heban83
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a rattle right under my navigation screen on my 2017 f sport. Dealer repaired it by installing insulation under the trim, so far no more rattles.
The following users liked this post:
websurfer (05-26-20)
Old 04-05-17, 02:34 PM
saifm73
Driver School Candidate

I've tried everything like removing the tray inside the glove compartment, removing all the stuff inside of there and i still hear it. I have like 1500 miles until my next oil change so ill tell them next time. Last time i took it then, the rattling wasn't constant but now i can hear it every time and it bothers me.
Old 05-06-17, 03:16 PM
saifm73
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AJLex19
I've experienced the same problem lately. Upon initial investigation, feels like the glove box door itself may be somewhat loose because whenever my passenger puts pressure against it, the noise goes away. It hasn't bothered me enough to try to track it down.

To start, I'll likely remove everything from the glovebox and try to hear the noise again. In the past, I removed the trim around that area to tap the footwell lights for my illuminated door sill install...my best guess for now is that if its not the actual glove box door, it could actually be something around the passenger side IP cover (the piece right below the glove box door) that has become loose.
I finally figured out what the rattle was. The noise was coming from the hard molding inside the glove compartment. Theres a opening inside of the middle left side of the glove compartment where the hook sits when you close the door, i put my fingers in there and tried to shake it, the sound was exactly coming from there. Now i will take it to Lexus and finally tell them where the sound is coming from instead of hearing the same bull**** every time they tell me, "sorry but we couldn't recreate the sound" lol
Old 08-13-19, 03:01 AM
JT51
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a buzzing sound coming from the trim above the box.
Old 05-26-20, 10:11 PM
Fisheep
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I have went to dealer yesterday and resolved this rattle
it not the welding problem it is caused by the bolt that fix the triangle reinforcement part under the fender.
when the bolt is tighten, the metal of the car body squeezed and make rattle.
the technician just loose the bolt and adjust the location of the nut behind the reinforcement part and the metal piece of the body, then re-tighten the bolt.
the rattle is gone!

The following users liked this post:
websurfer (05-26-20)
Old 09-19-20, 07:51 PM
cgwaie
Driver School Candidate

Hi all,

i had a similar experience with my 2016 rx

here's the video of the sound i can produce while driving out of parking lot with full turn of steering wheel to the right

Still couldn't find the solution. anyone can help?

thanks
Old 10-03-23, 08:31 AM
fourgs
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

I had some rattle from glovebox area when driving over bumpy roads. seems there could be multiple spots where it can make noise. I removed the whole glovebox and put some speaker tape over all the contact points. Well now the rattle is gone. But I don’t know for sure which one was the cause. There is never too much sound insulation))