GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Notes from my first and last Lexus vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-17, 10:03 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Notes from my first and last Lexus vehicle

I leased a top end GS350 ($63K approx) and wanted to post a few thoughts. In my years of ownership, the dealers make or break the relationship and I was amazed at the dealer definition of "luxury". Showrooms are pretty and nicely laid out, but service for me goes beyond the wooing and selling, but also servicing and interest to keep the customer brand loyal. So the first thing I've noticed is Lexus IS NO different from any other manufacturer. The environment is just prettier, but the staff no more qualified, and in several of my experiences, less so in the servicing of the vehicle.

My wife and I expected something very different than what we bought into and went to the extent of reaching out to the manufacturer several times. Issues stemmed from electrical, mechanical, and customer service issues. Corporate is very good at one thing in particular, excuses and re-direction. While we often were told how nice the car was or looked, we often invited these opportunities to tell others the truth about the car and our ownership experiences. Despite our attempts to seek redemption from the manufacturer, our solutions provided were often grim and poorly thought out if nothing less than laughable and ignorant. Options like trade the car in and take a large financial loss on the trade, or being told things were normal when they clearly weren't. Now I know a lot of you are going to ask what happened and that isn't the point of this review. And I do realize we do get bum cars from time to time. But our experience was not idea, rather as far from as you can imagine.

The only purpose in writing this is that I wished I had known this before leasing our car. Dealer/manufacturer promises and advertisements fell so short of the mark we feel more luxury from our Honda dealership. Car values for Lexus are incredibly over inflated to the point the car was worth a quarter of what it listed a little over 3 years ago (this equated to $12k less than what my lease termination valued the vehicle at). And in the end, the dealer and the manufacturer have our money as agreed, we have several years of regretful ownership, the dealer damaged the car several times, another dealer lost the car keys, another dealer couldn't find the car for an hour, and the same dealer forgot they even had the car for 2 whole months. When pressed, we would be re-assured Lexus cares and wants to make things right only to as quickly be told there is nothing they can really do.

In closing, I wish you the best with your vehicles and hope these issues don't fall to you. If any new customers to the brand read this, realize we are a single incident and know this, but if you do end up having issues this brand will not back you as we have seen time and again.

Cheers

Last edited by BarrettF77; 04-01-17 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-01-17, 10:19 AM
Staggered3
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow that's unfortunate. Thats a lot of issues, seems like with people than the car brand itself. I have been to two Lexus dealerships and I prefer one over the other because of the people. While I haven't had any major issues as of yet, I am sure when they come I hope the people behind the problem are knowledgeable and courteous. I am not sure what brand you go to next but good luck in your endeavors.. that was really sad to hear though.
Old 04-01-17, 10:22 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Ha! You just ruined the reputation of both J.D. Power and Consumer Reports with your negative review - because they both have ranked Lexus as the #1 vehicle brand for many years in both service and dependability. It's unfortunate that [for some reason] you have been nothing more than an outcast to the Lexus family of excellence for three years!

I understand that Rolls-Royce has pretty decent customer service...

Last edited by bclexus; 04-01-17 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-01-17, 10:31 AM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I wish my dealer would forget they had my car and let me drive a loaner for 2 months. I'm going to be over miles on my lease.
Old 04-01-17, 11:01 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Lol. Tl;dr - "I hate my Lexus"
Old 04-01-17, 11:15 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

This dealership haven't asked you to give them a 5* rating after each of your service with them?
That's where you can ding them. In these internet days, it's easy to post your reviews online and they haven't worked hard to make sure you don't do that.

I don't care what the brand is. It's all about the individual dealership.

Fortunately my dealership service has been great and for us local so-calers, we have several other dealerships around so they do compete each other rather than being at their mercy if there's none locally.
Old 04-01-17, 11:23 AM
2Squared
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Well wasn't that a special thread starting post. Good thing all my experiences with my Lexus and the dealer have been outstanding in all respects.
Old 04-01-17, 12:26 PM
kamskeez
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I've been to some really crappy Lexus dealers. There are a few diamonds in the rough that will go above and beyond for the customer. But in my experience they are pretty rare. Maybe 1 or 2 I can think of here in the Bay Area. Good luck moving past this!
Old 04-01-17, 01:58 PM
NetEditor
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

April Fools?
Old 04-01-17, 02:30 PM
lexinvegas
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Default rare

I have had 10 (yeah ten) Lexuses over the years and have never has one mechanical problem of any type. Either you got the one in a million or
have another agenda. As for dealership experiences, I guess you've had bad luck there too.
Old 04-01-17, 03:22 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

His post history is good so I believe he's genuine. I think he just happen to get a bad build or came across a crappy dealer. Either way its too bad he's soured on the whole Lexus brand. Hopefully he'll give Lexus another chance. Start with a different car and different dealer.
Old 04-01-17, 03:48 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Sorry to hear this. Could you tell us what the electrical and mechanical problems you had? The GS overall has had VERY few issues. Good luck with whatever your next car is
Old 04-01-17, 04:04 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jkeller
Sorry to hear this. Could you tell us what the electrical and mechanical problems you had? The GS overall has had VERY few issues. Good luck with whatever your next car is
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post9476396
Old 04-01-17, 08:42 PM
GS350Dat
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seeing OPs location had me think it was at Scholfield Lexus in Wichita Kansas! I was thinking they offer great service there? But reading the link that a member provided it is in Kansas City. Sorry for your misfortune! Good luck with things!
Old 04-02-17, 08:59 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I have owned three different Lexus from three different dealers. My dealer experience has been outstanding at all of them. I've owned an awful lot of vehicles including several other premium brands. My experience is that Lexus is the gold standard of customer service. Too bad you got a bad one.

Quick Reply: Notes from my first and last Lexus vehicle