GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Here's my review on The 2013 GS350 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-17, 08:50 AM
boostinsc
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Here's my review on The 2013 GS350 AWD

Lexus cheaps out on material ie, led taillight and other features that the German cars comes with for the same premium.Is also disappointing that they just do the minimum and not go beyond to exceed the owners expectations. 1.the Heated Steering Wheel is not heated all the way only where your hand grips on the sides. BAD MOVE LEXUS. 2. The power closing trunk would be nice and powerfolding mirrors. would've been perfect but sadly do not come with it only on luxury package or 2015 models. The Center console padding is sponge like material and not real leather.the build quality is not there . Number 3. yes we have ventilated seats but are not cold also the rear ac vent hardly blows any air. 4. On the list is Lighting There is LEDs in the interior so why make the doorstep, visor mirror and puddle lights NON LED? As well as the trunk light bulb and reverse lights. I had to upgrade my reverse lights and trunk light bulb to aftermarket strip and was the best thing I ever did. My trunk looks like daylight at night and reverse lights are super bright best. 5. You shouldn't have to spend more money on basic accessories that should have came standard from factory. 5. After this car am going to purchase a Chevy/GMC or Ford. I really need a truck having a luxury Toyota gets old quick.

Thanks for reading , please share your input and experience on ownership of your GS thanks for all.
Old 03-25-17, 11:19 AM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

You have not mentioned anything regarding the reliability of your GS. How many years have you owned it and how many miles does it have? Did you have to visit the dealer/mechanic for anything except maintenance? If yes, for what?
The following 2 users liked this post by bb700092:
corpnupe85 (03-26-17), Im2bz2p345 (03-27-17)
Old 03-25-17, 11:35 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

If you hate the car, sell it. That's it a review btw, it's just complaining.
The following 3 users liked this post by MustangSal:
corpnupe85 (03-26-17), Im2bz2p345 (03-27-17), samsausage (02-28-18)
Old 03-25-17, 11:42 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,993 Likes on 1,416 Posts

boostinsc - You need to move on to something that you can appreciate and enjoy. No one has a clue what that could possibly be, but if you already know then the question for you is - Why haven't you already made the change?
The following 2 users liked this post by bclexus:
Old 03-25-17, 12:29 PM
boostinsc
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MustangSal
If you hate the car, sell it. That's it a review btw, it's just complaining.
its for sale

Originally Posted by bb700092
You have not mentioned anything regarding the reliability of your GS. How many years have you owned it and how many miles does it have? Did you have to visit the dealer/mechanic for anything except maintenance? If yes, for what?
Sure it's reliable or so I think June 6 this year will make it 2 years it has only 33,8xx .it had to go in to the dealer recently a few months ago due to the lumbar support shorting out and the dealer repaired it but not correctly.

Originally Posted by bclexus
boostinsc - You need to move on to something that you can appreciate and enjoy. No one has a clue what that could possibly be, but if you already know then the question for you is - Why haven't you already made the change?
Am in the process of selling but is being offered pennies for the car so I won't part with it.
Old 03-25-17, 12:39 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

And you didn't notice this stuff before you bought it? Good luck on Chevy or Ford, you will be in the shop more than the Lexus. My dad worked for GM for 25 yrs. and I was always loyal to the brand and got good discounts on cars & parts. After owning my first Lexus I'll never go domestic again!
The following 2 users liked this post by charley95:
Old 03-25-17, 01:44 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by charley95
And you didn't notice this stuff before you bought it? Good luck on Chevy or Ford, you will be in the shop more than the Lexus. My dad worked for GM for 25 yrs. and I was always loyal to the brand and got good discounts on cars & parts. After owning my first Lexus I'll never go domestic again!
Agreed. All of these complaints can be noted on a test drive. Me thinks the OP is always going to be a dissatisfied critic.

Best of luck on ford or chevy. Maybe the newer SHO or a Caprice is where you need to be?
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (03-27-17)
Old 03-25-17, 03:06 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by boostinsc
its for sale

Sure it's reliable or so I think June 6 this year will make it 2 years it has only 33,8xx .it had to go in to the dealer recently a few months ago due to the lumbar support shorting out and the dealer repaired it but not correctly.

Am in the process of selling but is being offered pennies for the car so I won't part with it.
you better sell it soon. The GS does not hold value at all. CPO 2013 low mile (under 30k) can be picked up for $31-32 left and right
Old 03-25-17, 03:11 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

It sounds like you are pretty nitpicky on alot of the stuff you bring up. The LED's to replace are very cheap, many cars don't even have the interior LED's like this car does. Are these issues really so bad that you want to sell the car over them? I much rather have small issues than having mechanical issues where I constantly have to have a car in the shop, which is why I avoided getting a 5 series or a benz. The build quality to me feels great in my car. I'm sure you will have a even longer list of complaints once you get into a Ford next.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (03-27-17)
Old 03-25-17, 05:10 PM
dano
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As a former Acura salesman I was taught that the average owner loses interest in their car within 18-27 months and starts looking at others. You fit the demographic being almost 2 years into your ownership. It sounds like (1) your needs have changed and a truck is in your future. That being said I would highly recommend a Tundra over a GM or Ford product for a whole host of reasons (2) the reasons you listed in your "review" sound more like a conversation with oneself to justify your regret in purchasing the GS. An honest "review" may have read....."I need a truck so I'm selling my GS. Note to prospective buyer...it has a lot of incandescent lights where German makes have LEDs. But it's a really reliable car...as opposed to a Bimmer, Merc or Audi."
BTW, had I bought a 535ix, an Audi A6 or a Mercedes equipped like my 2014 F Sport (with folding mirrors) they would not have been "for the same premium." But I do wish my steering wheel heated all the way around.
Old 03-25-17, 08:02 PM
Metsfan
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The Center console padding is sponge like material and not real leather.the build quality is not there .
Yeah. You're gonna love GM or Ford, bastions of high-quality materials and workmanship.
Old 03-26-17, 02:25 AM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

I donno if you have ever kept a BMW or a MB both premium German brands have their share of problems. Coming from a 535 recently I can tell the GS is very well built the wheels seats interior is second to none.
Old 03-26-17, 04:48 AM
dwayne4lex
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had a 2014 and 2015 GS350 and I must be VERY easy to please. Only real problem I've had is the battery dying on the 2014 within the first 7k miles. Yeah the ride is a little rough but I am more than satisfied with my GS. It's a joy to drive every single day. Good luck with Ford or Chevy, cause you must really like cheap interiors full of plastic and hard non leather like materials.
Old 03-26-17, 05:19 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dano
As a former Acura salesman I was taught that the average owner loses interest in their car within 18-27 months and starts looking at others. You fit the demographic being almost 2 years into your ownership. It sounds like (1) your needs have changed and a truck is in your future. That being said I would highly recommend a Tundra over a GM or Ford product for a whole host of reasons (2) the reasons you listed in your "review" sound more like a conversation with oneself to justify your regret in purchasing the GS. An honest "review" may have read....."I need a truck so I'm selling my GS. Note to prospective buyer...it has a lot of incandescent lights where German makes have LEDs. But it's a really reliable car...as opposed to a Bimmer, Merc or Audi."
BTW, had I bought a 535ix, an Audi A6 or a Mercedes equipped like my 2014 F Sport (with folding mirrors) they would not have been "for the same premium." But I do wish my steering wheel heated all the way around.
+1 on the Tundra. I had the 2007 CrewMax (1st year design) and loved it. LOVED IT! The only reason I got rid of it was a military move made it hard to keep and deploying meant the wife had to care for it for extended periods of time (not her fancy). But pound for pound, the Tundra was (and is) the best truck on the market [still] unless you're looking to move a landscape crew into an active rock quarry where maybe a more industrialized truck is appropriate. For amenities and luxury, Tundra crushed it. My only complain is now the body panels are stamped with impression badging. I dislike badges. Anyways...
Old 03-26-17, 08:04 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

Lexus cheaps out on material ie, led taillight and other features that the German cars comes with for the same premium.Is also disappointing that they just do the minimum and not go beyond to exceed the owners expectations. 1.the Heated Steering Wheel is not heated all the way only where your hand grips on the sides. BAD MOVE LEXUS. 2. The power closing trunk would be nice and powerfolding mirrors. would've been perfect but sadly do not come with it only on luxury package or 2015 models. The Center console padding is sponge like material and not real leather.the build quality is not there . Number 3. yes we have ventilated seats but are not cold also the rear ac vent hardly blows any air. 4. On the list is Lighting There is LEDs in the interior so why make the doorstep, visor mirror and puddle lights NON LED? As well as the trunk light bulb and reverse lights. I had to upgrade my reverse lights and trunk light bulb to aftermarket strip and was the best thing I ever did. My trunk looks like daylight at night and reverse lights are super bright best. 5. You shouldn't have to spend more money on basic accessories that should have came standard from factory. 5. After this car am going to purchase a Chevy/GMC or Ford. I really need a truck having a luxury Toyota gets old quick.

Thanks for reading , please share your input and experience on ownership of your GS thanks for all.
1. 3 and 9 are ideal steering wheel positions. It'd be nice to have fully heated but for me personally that's where I keep my hands when driving aggressively 90% of the time(which is quite alot with this car).

2. Like you said, already addressed in 2015+.

3. What other car provides ice cold ventilated seats?

4. If light bulbs is on your list of top issues for the car, I think it says alot about how good the car is from the factory. Besides all can be fixed <$50 one-time.

Quick Reply: Here's my review on The 2013 GS350 AWD