GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Noise/rattle in rear

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-17, 04:12 AM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Noise/rattle in rear

I have a had a ghost rattle for several months now in the rear of my 2013 GS350. It doesn't happen all the time (naturally, it did not happen when I drove around with a Lexus tech the other day), and only on small bumps or dips. It sounds like it's coming from the trunk. I have stripped everything out of the trunk, including the spare tire, ST cover, jack, and all removable covers, but the noise, which is a mild clunking sound, persists. Suspension and the rest of the undercarriage have been checked and are good.

Are there any known noise-creating issues with this car? Anything else to check? The noise is driving me crazy. Thanks.
Old 03-17-17, 04:18 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

It might be the sunroof. I have a nasty sunroof rattle and with the shade closed it sounds like it's coming from the rear as opposed to the sunroof. Other than that, I haven't heard any other rattled coming from the rear.
Old 03-17-17, 05:27 AM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

Thanks for the reply. I should've said that the sunroof was considered. However, if you mean the interior panel might be the source, the noise persists even if the cover inside is held tight. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I wish it were that simple! I will check it again just to make sure.
Old 03-17-17, 06:12 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Ah ok I see. In my car, the actual sunroof (glass & frame) rock from side to side going over uneven pavement. It's quite annoying.

Did the dealership check the parking brake and cable? I remember that causing some rattles for a few owners.
Old 03-17-17, 06:43 AM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

They said they did, but I will double-check myself. Thanks for another good idea.
Old 03-17-17, 08:34 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Mine had that issue. They replaced the rubber seal and re-seated the moon roof under warranty. Rattle went away along with wind noise from roof.
Old 03-17-17, 09:37 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Davenlei
Mine had that issue. They replaced the rubber seal and re-seated the moon roof under warranty. Rattle went away along with wind noise from roof.
I definitely need to have this done then. Aside from the rattling, there's significant wind noise with the shade open. Did your warranty paperwork list a total price for the fix? I'm sure it wasn't pretty. I'm past the warranty period.
Old 03-21-17, 06:05 AM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

Just FYI, in my case it seems to have been a loose sway bar link nut. After actually hearing the noise on a test drive with me for the third time in 3 months (yay!), the tech tightened a bunch of suspension and body bolts and lubricated and adjusted the sun roof. I won't believe it until I am noise-free for at least 2 weeks, but so far, so good. Thanks again for the suggestions.
Old 03-21-17, 08:42 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Originally Posted by yardie876
I definitely need to have this done then. Aside from the rattling, there's significant wind noise with the shade open. Did your warranty paperwork list a total price for the fix? I'm sure it wasn't pretty. I'm past the warranty period.
I don't recall unfortunately since this was done about a year ago and I don't keep receipts. If I try to recall looking over the paperwork, I think it was below a grand. How much below, I can't recall....
Old 03-22-17, 03:42 PM
homeboyv
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try this, tilt the sunroof and check if you hear the noise. That's how the tech finally diagnosed the issue with my sunroof. The noise sounded like it was coming from the rear also and the dealership replaced a bunch of my suspension parts which did nothing.
Old 03-28-17, 05:11 PM
Rjones2074
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Benn having the same issue and am fairly confident my is the jack. The mounting bracket is flimsy and when trying to tighten the jack in place it pops out and the rattle returns. Applied thick rubber tape on the contact surfaces of the jack and was able to get it fairly tight without it popping out. Will know more in the morning.

Initially the spare was also loose and made noise so I took the spare and the jack out of the trunk and drove around, car was silent, as it should be..
Old 04-20-17, 05:21 AM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

My rattle continues, even after a trip to the dealer and the "tightening" of several suspension bolts. The sunroof can be jiggled slightly up and down by hand, and when I put pressure on it while driving the sound is eliminated. I looked up the TSB, and it is precisely what is happening with my car; however, my VIN is a few hundred units later than the range specified. I have sent an email to my service writer, but he thus far has not responded. Any suggestions on how to proceed to maximize the likelihood of satisfaction? Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Norman49 (12-15-19)
Old 04-20-17, 08:32 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Originally Posted by shrinkwrap
My rattle continues, even after a trip to the dealer and the "tightening" of several suspension bolts. The sunroof can be jiggled slightly up and down by hand, and when I put pressure on it while driving the sound is eliminated. I looked up the TSB, and it is precisely what is happening with my car; however, my VIN is a few hundred units later than the range specified. I have sent an email to my service writer, but he thus far has not responded. Any suggestions on how to proceed to maximize the likelihood of satisfaction? Thanks!
Go to the dealer and ask for the service advisor or technician to ride with you and you show them the issue and what happens when you hold the sunroof. That should get you what you need.

I had a bearing issue (I knew the sound from previous cars experience) and Lexus service tech kept claiming it was a tire noise issue. After I bugged them for a third time about the noise, they had their top master tech ride with me and 30 seconds into the ride, he said "Yep, your front left wheel bearing is howling pretty bad. We will get that replaced for you". After the ride, the master tech told the service advisor and at the end of the day I had a nice quiet car again.
Old 04-20-17, 01:14 PM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Davenlei
Go to the dealer and ask for the service advisor or technician to ride with you and you show them the issue and what happens when you hold the sunroof. That should get you what you need.

I had a bearing issue (I knew the sound from previous cars experience) and Lexus service tech kept claiming it was a tire noise issue. After I bugged them for a third time about the noise, they had their top master tech ride with me and 30 seconds into the ride, he said "Yep, your front left wheel bearing is howling pretty bad. We will get that replaced for you". After the ride, the master tech told the service advisor and at the end of the day I had a nice quiet car again.

Exactly my point - I have done this, but even though the problem was first reported (and the car left for repair) prior to the expiration of my warranty, the service writer "did me a favor" by tightening a suspension bolt last time, even though I insisted, and showed the tech, that the sunroof rattled. He said that couldn't be it. Now the service writer is ignoring messages. I assume the service manager (who is in on the denial, of course) is next on my list, followed by the regional rep?
Old 04-20-17, 04:46 PM
RLtoGS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just had mine at South Bay Lexus and they said the moonroof rails were loose. Most noise gone however, i think I still hear something. But I've had nothing but trouble with the sunroof. They've replaced parts, rails, seals etc. (all under warranty) and still problems. Common problem with 2013 is loud without visor closed. Poor design or engineering. I have an extended warranty so I'm sure I'll be back. I told them to use Blue Lock-Tight...they didn't seem to like the suggestion. By the way, $500 to replace sparks at 60K. My mechanic will do for $300 (TL Motors West Covina, good people)

I'll have to check my spare tire and ER brake cable (known issue in the Acura's). Those are good ideas.

Last edited by RLtoGS350; 04-20-17 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Finish sentence

Quick Reply: Noise/rattle in rear