GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Things you dislike or would change on your GS

Old 02-25-17, 02:14 PM
kmm
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GsLex02
How about a $50,000 car that doesn't have a full size spare. That's BS. My 2002 GS300 even has a full spare
But your 2002 GS300 only had to meet the weak fuel economy standards in effect when the vehicle was sold new.

Weight is the enemy of fuel economy.

But the Auto manufacturers are clever. They will sell you a full sized spare tire for your car-but as an accessory add-on.

They meet the tough fuel economy standards for a lighter weight car sans spare.
The following users liked this post:
maiahsdad (11-22-17)
Old 11-22-17, 03:49 AM
maiahsdad
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish that I could program the accessory to STAY ON after I switch the car off. I think normally that stuff stays on in cars about 10 or so minutes. Also, I would like for the charging ports (cigarette lighter looking receptacles) to be hot constantly. On my STS-V, it was the moving of a fuse. Maybe there's a way. Couldn't find it.

I wish I could download the system (maps, audio, etc.) updates directly via SAT like my other vehicle (has ONSTAR), instead of trying to find some CD or USB for that.....

I wish it could load Google Play and Apple Play or something standardized to connect my smartphone (Galaxy Note 8).

My STS-V is push-button start, and it does NOT shut the car down when I open the door following a remote start.... Oh... my.... goodness. What an un-necessary wear and tear on the starting system. If someone WERE to get into the car, as soon as they pulled the car out of park it would shut down in most cars. Why shut it down with the DOOR opening? There's GOT to be something I'm doing wrong.

When I'm searching for stations on the SAT.... there's NO easy way to do it. When I FINALLY use the tactical mouse to STYLE my way laboriously to the genre I want..... I'm thinking that while I'm driving and rehabing my wrist from "styling" it to death trying to find the type music... I can just use my left hand and move through the channels IN THAT STYLE... It jumps to PRESETS... So, if I want to stay with that "style", while driving, I need to LEAN OVER, NOT WRECK, and TURN THE ****..... If someone knows of an easier way.... please help.

The courtesy lamps built into the mirrors:
1. VERY dim. I don't see any setting in the system to manipulate that. It is... what it is. Maybe there's a way to have BRIGHTER lights installed in there. The Lexus dealer didn't know.... or didn't want to say.
2. They way TOO late to come on. I work overnight and it's PITCH black when I leave the office at 0600hrs. I'm almost with my hand on the handle before they slowly ease on. My other vehicle has the same feature, and somehow it turns them on when I'm about 20 feet away. I wonder if I need to change the battery in the fob? They said they put new ones in prior to my picking the car up.

I wish the rear heated seats and audio controls were in the rear as a standard features.

I wish an 8-speed transmission would have been designed instead of 6.

I wish an 8-cylinder power plant or a 6-cylinder supercharged version was at least an option.

Last edited by maiahsdad; 11-22-17 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-22-17, 08:01 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,413 Posts

Originally Posted by maiahsdad
I wish that I could program the accessory to STAY ON after I switch the car off. I think normally that stuff stays on in cars about 10 or so minutes. Also, I would like for the charging ports (cigarette lighter looking receptacles) to be hot constantly. On my STS-V, it was the moving of a fuse. Maybe there's a way. Couldn't find it.

I wish I could download the system (maps, audio, etc.) updates directly via SAT like my other vehicle (has ONSTAR), instead of trying to find some CD or USB for that.....

I wish it could load Google Play and Apple Play or something standardized to connect my smartphone (Galaxy Note 8).

My STS-V is push-button start, and it does NOT shut the car down when I open the door following a remote start.... Oh... my.... goodness. What an un-necessary wear and tear on the starting system. If someone WERE to get into the car, as soon as they pulled the car out of park it would shut down in most cars. Why shut it down with the DOOR opening? There's GOT to be something I'm doing wrong.

When I'm searching for stations on the SAT.... there's NO easy way to do it. When I FINALLY use the tactical mouse to STYLE my way laboriously to the genre I want..... I'm thinking that while I'm driving and rehabing my wrist from "styling" it to death trying to find the type music... I can just use my left hand and move through the channels IN THAT STYLE... It jumps to PRESETS... So, if I want to stay with that "style", while driving, I need to LEAN OVER, NOT WRECK, and TURN THE ****..... If someone knows of an easier way.... please help.

The courtesy lamps built into the mirrors:
1. VERY dim. I don't see any setting in the system to manipulate that. It is... what it is. Maybe there's a way to have BRIGHTER lights installed in there. The Lexus dealer didn't know.... or didn't want to say.
2. They way TOO late to come on. I work overnight and it's PITCH black when I leave the office at 0600hrs. I'm almost with my hand on the handle before they slowly ease on. My other vehicle has the same feature, and somehow it turns them on when I'm about 20 feet away. I wonder if I need to change the battery in the fob? They said they put new ones in prior to my picking the car up.

I wish the rear heated seats and audio controls were in the rear as a standard features.

I wish an 8-speed transmission would have been designed instead of 6.

You need to get rid of that piece of crap!
Old 11-22-17, 08:57 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I don't own a 4th Gen GS but am looking to possibly buy one.

The things I dislike or would like to change though is mainly I wish it had a affordable V8 option. I wish the 6 cylinder either had more power or better fuel economy. I wish there were physical buttons or more buttons for the radio and hvac instead of having to go through a screen/menu's. Wish the F sport package also had the luxury features from the Luxury package like rear seat controls, semi aniline leather, and you can get wood trim with the F sport. Wish the seats were cooled like the LS instead of just ventilated.
Old 11-22-17, 09:44 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

I wish it had hydraulic steering.
Old 11-22-17, 11:38 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by kmm
But your 2002 GS300 only had to meet the weak fuel economy standards in effect when the vehicle was sold new.

Weight is the enemy of fuel economy.

But the Auto manufacturers are clever. They will sell you a full sized spare tire for your car-but as an accessory add-on.

They meet the tough fuel economy standards for a lighter weight car sans spare.
I doubt it has much to do with the weight of the tire as much as it has to do with the design of the trunks in these cars and the total amount of trunk
space available, etc. Using a donut makes the car easier to design.

I mean think about it... if what you're saying is right, then theres probably a cottage industry of horse jockeys who drive cars in EPA testing to make the mileage go up because they weigh
less... a tire is what, under 50 lbs? I doubt that makes a huge difference in fuel economy.

-Mike
Old 11-24-17, 12:34 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,128 Likes on 837 Posts

I wish there were more OEM wheel options. Seems like MB, BMW, Jaguar, Tesla, etc. offer more than just 1 or 2 wheel options. I think Porsche has 15 or so wheel options for the panamera alone!
Old 11-24-17, 06:00 PM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sdjdguy
Overall, I love my 2015 GS F-Sport. But like all cars, it's not perfect. Here's my list:

1. Lack of a compartment for stowing your sunglasses (this is my single biggest gripe by far -- why in a car of this price range should I have to set my sunglasses on the passenger seat?)
2. Lack of a cruise control speed indicator
3. City gas mileage is just awful (16-17 or so)
4. Aluminum trim on driver's door is full of dings caused by the seat belt hitting it; obviously it was an inappropriate material if it is dinged that easily
5. Trunk release is off-center
6. Automatic headlights take too long to turn on when you enter a parking garage
7. F-Sport seats are too hard and get uncomfortable on a long drive
8. Low-end torque is lacking
9. The joystick infotainment system takes a lot of getting used to and is unquestionably a subpar design
10. Rear seats do not fold down
11. Rear seat passenger space is a bit tight for this vehicle class
Agree with a lot of this, except for auto headlights... you can control sensitivity through the vehicle settings menu
Old 11-25-17, 06:08 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike552
Agree with a lot of this, except for auto headlights... you can control sensitivity through the vehicle settings menu
Even on the most sensitive setting, it's still not quick enough.
Old 11-25-17, 08:55 AM
GS350MIKE
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by MustangSal
I have zero complaints. None. The car is literally f-i-n-e in every aspect. It operates as advertised. It's fast as shi*. Handles like its on rails. Gets 32+ mpg. It fits me in its unbelievably comfy seat like a glove (6'2", 245lbs). Sounds better than many customs systems I installed in previous vehicles. Has more tech than any vehicle I've owned. Subjectively speaking, I'm kind of amazed that some items people bring up are issues. I mean, wasn't the AWD bump there when you purchased the car? Wasn't the human input mouse there? You knew the rear-seats didn't fold down, didn't you? Sorry you don't understand how your windshield wipers work and you scratched your hood. Read. The. Manual.

Sorry...totally satisfied right here.
totally agree!
Old 11-25-17, 11:14 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by jonathancl
Even on the most sensitive setting, it's still not quick enough.
I agree with this. When we got our 2015 GS, this was one of the first things I noticed. Even on the highest sensitivity, it takes ages to turn on. I was hoping when I got my 2018 this was improved upon but sure enough, it's gone unchanged. I go in and out of parking garages daily, one of which is quite dark regardless of time of day. I can navigate my way through a large visitor section and get to a security gate, begin opening the gate, and then my lights turn on.

If you ever find yourself behind a ~2003 E65 generation 7-series, take notice of how instantaneously the automatic lights turn on when entering a freeway overpass, tunnel, parking garage, etc. It was damn impressive all those years ago and is still impressive today.
The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (12-01-17)
Old 11-26-17, 06:06 PM
schack
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2013 GS 450h

My list:
1) No sunglasses holder
2) Night-time interior lighting too dim. Overhead lighting OK but door and footwell lights too dim.
3) No backlighting for memory seat buttons
4) I don't have the power trunk. Wind blows open truck lid too easily, hits me in the head when loading groceries.
5) Pop out storage compartment to the left of steering wheel should have a light.
6) Wind noise from moon roof
7) Mark Levinson stereo very disappointing. The ML in my LS430 was MUCH better sounding.
8) The glove box open/close sound and feel is way below average
9) Puddle lights under mirrors are too dim and don't come on soon enough

Over all I like the car, just a few minor complaints.
Old 11-26-17, 08:27 PM
rVague
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a 2017 GS 350 F sport.

my niggles:
1) No a/c button. You have to go through menus to turn it off (although the auto button will turn it on)
2) Nav/Audio system overly complicated and no Apple CarPlay.
3) Many of the dash buttons ( odometer, ebrake on and off, and brake hold buttons) are difficult to see and randomly placed. Many buttons on the center stack seem randomly placed.
4) Seat heater/ cooling controls are difficult to reach, especially with cup holder door open. Cup holder door isn’t flush with console.
5) Transmission seems to hesitate from a stop.
6) Would like a full size spare.
7) The jury is still out on the Bridgestone tires. Will switch to Michelins when the time comes.

Overall I really like the car.
Old 11-30-17, 08:27 PM
boostinsc
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Heated and cooled shifter?
Old 11-30-17, 09:14 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

4)
You just need to adjust the trunk spring. I have the same problem and it's gone now.

On the left side of the trunk where the battery is, if you pull back the trunk liner you will see were the spring hooks into the body of the car.
You'll see another hole below it. Just move the spring rod to the lower hole, this will make the tension on the spring much stronger and the wind will never blow it down.

6)
Replace the sunfoor seal with updated seal, solves the problem.

Originally Posted by schack
I have a 2013 GS 450h

My list:
1) No sunglasses holder
2) Night-time interior lighting too dim. Overhead lighting OK but door and footwell lights too dim.
3) No backlighting for memory seat buttons
4) I don't have the power trunk. Wind blows open truck lid too easily, hits me in the head when loading groceries.
5) Pop out storage compartment to the left of steering wheel should have a light.
6) Wind noise from moon roof
7) Mark Levinson stereo very disappointing. The ML in my LS430 was MUCH better sounding.
8) The glove box open/close sound and feel is way below average
9) Puddle lights under mirrors are too dim and don't come on soon enough

Over all I like the car, just a few minor complaints.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Things you dislike or would change on your GS