GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Quick Question on headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-17, 10:41 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Quick Question on headlights

So I still haven't changed out my passenger headlight and it's still accumulating moisture. Figured that i'd just go on eBay and get a used one, but was wondering if the AFS only applies to the LED version. The one that was an optional add on when people bought the car. If it's just normal HIDs like the majority of the GSs out there is there an AFS version of those? When I turn on my car the headlights kind of move into place, but I have the HID version..

Just wanted to make sure that I'm buying the right type of headlight. These things are damn expensive.
Old 02-10-17, 04:49 AM
Patrick4GS
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

On my vehicle I have the normal HID lights (non LED) and the AFS system. It is a 2013 with the luxury package if that is of any help to you.
Old 02-10-17, 07:32 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 102 Posts

I have the same problem on my passenger headlight. I've been trying to figure out what the issue is exactly, seems like alot of people have similar issues. Its a pain you have to remove the entire bumper to inspect it, I'm used to being able to remove it easily. Have any people successfully been able to figure out how the moisture gets in? Perhaps a bad lightbulb seal? I keep trying to dry it out removing a bulb and letting it sit in the sun. It looks like all the moisture is out and then later BAM it comes back.
Old 02-10-17, 09:16 AM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Did you check with the dealer , I had my wife's RX350 2010 headlight assembly replaced under the enhancement program but there was literally water standing inside not just moisture. Call your local dealer and ask.
Old 02-10-17, 09:58 PM
lildann
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Prinny
So I still haven't changed out my passenger headlight and it's still accumulating moisture. Figured that i'd just go on eBay and get a used one, but was wondering if the AFS only applies to the LED version. The one that was an optional add on when people bought the car. If it's just normal HIDs like the majority of the GSs out there is there an AFS version of those? When I turn on my car the headlights kind of move into place, but I have the HID version..

Just wanted to make sure that I'm buying the right type of headlight. These things are damn expensive.

AFS headlights move up and down and left and right. We have had three 2013s and now have a 2015 GS350. Two were base models, two were F Sport models. None of ours had AFS. I think they only come on the Luxury with the rear seat climate and radio controls and rear sunshades but I'm not positive. I have them on my 2004 LS430 Ultra Luxury. They are extremely noticeable. My passengers even notice it. Easiest way to tell if you have them is to turn on your headlights with the car off then start the car. It helps if you so this in a garage or pointed at a closed garage door. The headlights will test their movements. If they don't have AFS, they will only move up or down. If they do have AFS, they will move up and down then left and right.
Old 02-10-17, 11:03 PM
DP03
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It's also easy to tell by turning the wheel at slower speeds. Lights make noticeable sweeps in that direction, and they do it independently left and right light. I love them!
Old 02-11-17, 12:33 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That actually explains a lot lol. I'm going to test out that stuff today. Thanks everyone! The passenger headlight accumulates moisture because my idiot brother backed into my car with my old car that I gave him. Caused a small crack on the headlight. Not big enough to actually accumulate a lot of water... yet.. the guy that repaired my bumper and fender tried to seal with with epoxy, but no luck .

Originally Posted by e60bmw
I have the same problem on my passenger headlight. I've been trying to figure out what the issue is exactly, seems like alot of people have similar issues. Its a pain you have to remove the entire bumper to inspect it, I'm used to being able to remove it easily. Have any people successfully been able to figure out how the moisture gets in? Perhaps a bad lightbulb seal? I keep trying to dry it out removing a bulb and letting it sit in the sun. It looks like all the moisture is out and then later BAM it comes back.

I've actually asked that question a few times before, but in order to take out the headlight without breaking any tabs and etc.. I believe it's a must to take off the bumper and the surrounding covers.

Last edited by Prinny; 02-11-17 at 12:37 PM.