GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

What did you do to your GS today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-18, 02:47 PM
uibalnme
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

I made a 🎶 sound 🎶 investment. 1500W 12” shallow mount sub and a 2400W mono block amp.

Last edited by uibalnme; 09-03-18 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-03-18, 06:45 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 938 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by uibalnme
I made a 🎶 sound 🎶 investment. 1500W 12” shallow mount sub and a 2400W mono block amp.

Nice! When I do finally replace my GS, I may be hitting you up for some installation notes.
Old 09-03-18, 07:49 PM
uibalnme
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chinee
Nice! When I do finally replace my GS, I may be hitting you up for some installation notes.
Truth be told, I didn’t do the install. I did have to give up the storage pocket where the amp is now. A small sacrifice since I never used that pocket anyway. I like that the setup doesn’t take up that much space, so I still have enough room for luggage.
Old 09-03-18, 07:54 PM
Hudrock
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

On impact, it felt like a cocoon with all those airbags enveloping me and my 15yr old son in the front passenger seat. Two cars lost control in the right most lanes on I95 going north and careened across 4 lanes of highway to end up perpendicular in front of me, 2nd lane from the left... no way to avoid. 3 cars totaled and 2 more damaged. All 5 drivers and my son escaped without serious injury. My son probably had it the worst, from the impact of the second car hitting the right side of the car, he has a bruise on his right arm from impact with the door.

2015 Obsidian with 27K on the odometer. Only got it 2 1/2 months ago and only put 1,600 miles on it since purchase. $35K in repairs so it is being totaled. Not only is the GS a reliable workhorse, it's one hell of a safe car to be in!

Now to find another GS in So. FL... those things are rare in my neck of the woods... wish me luck!
Wow, glad to hear everyone walked away. Great advertising for Lexus safety...Personally I would stay with Lexus, maybe upgrade to the GS F
Old 09-03-18, 08:18 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 938 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by Hudrock
Wow, glad to hear everyone walked away. Great advertising for Lexus safety...Personally I would stay with Lexus, maybe upgrade to the GS F
Yep, we were all fortunate. Made me think a bit about the other thread regarding tires and brakes... no more cheaping out on brake pads; I doubt the lifetime warranty AutoZone pads would perform as well under such extreme conditions.

And before I became a Goodyear convert, where I consistently got 40-45K miles on a set of tires, I used Falkens which only lasted 16-18K. Half the price, less than half the life, and did not perform as well as the GYs.

Use quality brakes and tires, your life might truly depend on it.

Last edited by chinee; 09-03-18 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-03-18, 08:20 PM
Hudrock
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Couldn't agree more.
Old 09-04-18, 08:04 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Yep, we were all fortunate. Made me think a bit about the other thread regarding tires and brakes... no more cheaping out on brake pads; I doubt the lifetime warranty AutoZone pads would perform as well under such extreme conditions.

Use quality brakes and tires, your life might truly depend on it.
Or someone else's life may depend on it!

I'd say ► this man made a very bad decision ◄ on which brake pads to install to reduce brake dust...
Old 09-10-18, 05:34 AM
ph0bolus
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

As per @np20412's suggestion, I tinted my reflectors since the red did kind of stand out. It's hard to tell, since it's a subtle smoky tint. Gave it a wash as well, unfortunately it's going to be raining for a couple of days.

The following users liked this post:
FSportOnly (06-30-20)
Old 09-10-18, 06:28 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by ph0bolus
As per @np20412's suggestion, I tinted my reflectors since the red did kind of stand out. It's hard to tell, since it's a subtle smoky tint. Gave it a wash as well, unfortunately it's going to be raining for a couple of days.

but it matches the tails, which makes it not stand out compared to before you did it! Looks great!!
The following users liked this post:
ph0bolus (09-10-18)
Old 09-17-18, 05:24 AM
ph0bolus
Intermediate

She ran a red...absolutely nothing wrong with her '05 Cobalt. Which pisses me off even more. At least my car looked sexy
Old 09-17-18, 05:32 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

She ran a red...absolutely nothing wrong with her '05 Cobalt. Which pisses me off even more. At least my car looked sexy

Awww ****! But, at cursory glance, doesn't look too bad from a damage perspective.
Old 09-17-18, 05:50 AM
ph0bolus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by np20412
Awww ****! But, at cursory glance, doesn't look too bad from a damage perspective.
Yeah, that's the silver lining, possibly just a new bumper, front lip, and bottom cover. Maybe 3-4k max?
Old 09-17-18, 07:40 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, that's the silver lining, possibly just a new bumper, front lip, and bottom cover. Maybe 3-4k max?
Probably. Running a red makes you not at fault hopefully so push for maximum genuine Lexus repairs (from Lexus collision center if you have one nearby) from other party. Might also consider a diminished value claim if you're up for the hassle.
Old 09-17-18, 09:31 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Man that sucks. Really liked what you have done with your GS, sharp looking car. Does not look too bad though, mainly a new bumper.

I think we are the only ones here that painted our calipers copper. I painted my calipers copper last week which out to be a pain. I wanted to brush the paint on instead of spraying it so I decanted the paint. What came out was very thin when I mixed it and would not be workable, of course the paint manufacture could not answer any questions about this. I waited longer and let it air out more and it did get much thicker, too thick and now it was a bit too thick to work with. I did not want to thin it with anything because I was concerned what that would do with how it handled the heat so I decided to put a base coat of the silver caliper paint I had and then brush it on. After spending some time it was just too thick to work with, no way I was going to be able to do all the calipers with how much I had to basically glop on because it would not spread so I decided to spray it on and then just brush the areas I missed. The fronts were fine, little to tape off and very clean. The rears were much different, very dirty, had corrosion I had to brush off, had to sand them and areas of exposed shims that I needed to cover/tape and then brush the rest off, they took over twice as long as the fronts and did not come off as good. They still look decent, hope they hold up, I wish the VHT high temp copper was more of a metallic penny color copper though.

I also polished my car, (I absolutely hate ultra soft Lexus clearcoats that scratch/swirl from anything, even microfibers). I made some front license plate hole bumper plugs from some plugs I got at Lowes and applied a coat of GTechnique Crystal Serum. I am looking for a decent car cover. I will install the F Sport grills when I get the top grill.

Old 09-17-18, 10:14 AM
ph0bolus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by np20412
Probably. Running a red makes you not at fault hopefully so push for maximum genuine Lexus repairs (from Lexus collision center if you have one nearby) from other party. Might also consider a diminished value claim if you're up for the hassle.
Thanks, had a question about that actually.

What's the protocol here, I contacted there insurance immediately after it happened, and they said they would try to contact the at-fault party to get there story, but haven't heard anything from them as of yet. I'm guessing after they ask for an estimate I take it to a body shop, but can I just take it to my nearest Lexus dealership to have them give me an estimate? Or do they normally contract that type of work out?

I'm definitely going to file a claim for diminished value, but after doing some light research it seems I can only start doing that after I get everything repaired.

Man that sucks. Really liked what you have done with your GS, sharp looking car. Does not look too bad though, mainly a new bumper.
Yeah, I'm hoping it's not too bad when it's all said and done. I used the VHT brake caliper spray paint for mine, it was actually pretty easy and would've been a quick job had I been patient enough to wait for the paint to dry before applying the decals

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GS today?