GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

What did you do to your GS today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-18, 05:18 AM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by ph0bolus
Oh yeah, it sucks in your situation since no can be held accountable. YES! Very lucky the light wasn't smashed in both of our cases, 2k just for that alone...
Couple hundred bucks on eBay or junkyard. I've seen tons of them up for sale in great shape.
Old 10-23-18, 01:02 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

I had done my grill completely in the nardo grey a few months back, I felt like it was too much and needed the contrast of the grill trim, so I left the grill trim and did the grill section in gloss black. Turned out really good and looks better than all having the same color.

Also have been wanting to black out the exhaust since it was the only remaining chrome portion left on the car, so I just did it this morning. Turns out good and flows better with the car.

Car is pretty dirty right now, I need to clean it. I also ordered some tanabe springs last night I'll be installing, I didn't want to go too low and sacrafice the ride but hopefully it will be good for the awd height. I may also be ordering another grill soon and attempting to do it in carbon fiber or kevlar.
Old 10-23-18, 01:49 PM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by e60bmw
I had done my grill completely in the nardo grey a few months back, I felt like it was too much and needed the contrast of the grill trim, so I left the grill trim and did the grill section in gloss black. Turned out really good and looks better than all having the same color.
Also have been wanting to black out the exhaust since it was the only remaining chrome portion left on the car, so I just did it this morning. Turns out good and flows better with the car.
Car is pretty dirty right now, I need to clean it. I also ordered some tanabe springs last night I'll be installing, I didn't want to go too low and sacrafice the ride but hopefully it will be good for the awd height. I may also be ordering another grill soon and attempting to do it in carbon fiber or kevlar.
I've been wanting to lower my AWD but then I see the potholes and terrible roads and crappy weather and decide against it. My mind is a yo-yo when it comes to lowering the car.
Old 10-23-18, 02:45 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Originally Posted by eddie420
I've been wanting to lower my AWD but then I see the potholes and terrible roads and crappy weather and decide against it. My mind is a yo-yo when it comes to lowering the car.
Same, but the tanabes are only 5% off from the factory spring rates. I went back and forth between the RS-R's, but ended up going with Tanabes. Didn't want to go coilovers either. I'll report back how it is.
Old 10-23-18, 03:23 PM
Dom87SS
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm AWD lowered on super downs in northern Illinois. The car still takes all the hits, the driver just feels them more. I've put 12k+ miles on them this year and haven't had any problems yet, except the stiff ride.
Old 10-23-18, 03:34 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dom87SS
I'm AWD lowered on super downs in northern Illinois. The car still takes all the hits, the driver just feels them more. I've put 12k+ miles on them this year and haven't had any problems yet, except the stiff ride.
Have any pics? The tanabe chart actually showed a 1.5inch drop with the awd so if thats accurate that will be a perfect drop for me. I was only really looking for a 1 inch drop. Ride quality is the most important thing for me, I had cars slammed on coils with big wheels and the ride quality got really annoying after a while. I talked to Tanabe yesterday and they tested it on the AWD and its the same part # as the rwd. It has more of a drop with the awd vs rwd apparently.
Old 10-23-18, 03:46 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Have any pics? The tanabe chart actually showed a 1.5inch drop with the awd so if thats accurate that will be a perfect drop for me. I was only really looking for a 1 inch drop. Ride quality is the most important thing for me, I had cars slammed on coils with big wheels and the ride quality got really annoying after a while. I talked to Tanabe yesterday and they tested it on the AWD and its the same part # as the rwd. It has more of a drop with the awd vs rwd apparently.
On the RWD I would say ride quality is 90% of stock ride quality. You can definitely feel the bumps a little more, especially in sport+, but it is not by any means ruining the ride quality or annoying. It is similar to stock. If you upgrade your shocks off of OEM with the springs I'm certain you could get it 95%+ stock ride.
Old 10-23-18, 03:48 PM
Dom87SS
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 84 Posts

Then you don't want these. They are a couple inch drop, I measured around a 3" drop. I have some new pictures up two or three pages back that I just took. From RSR that would be much closer to a down spring vs the super down
Old 10-27-18, 01:26 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Installed these paddles I bought off a forum member, I had been looking for a set without any lettering on it. Goes really well I think, I may do them in CF eventually.
The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (10-27-18)
Old 11-02-18, 05:08 AM
ph0bolus
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Painfully put my baby up for sale yesterday , relocating to the PNW. Just waiting for the bumper to be fixed, so I can wash it one last time, minor paint correction, and a ceramic coat.

Does anyone have a front driver side splash guard they aren't using by chance?
Old 11-02-18, 11:44 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Finally lowered the 4x4 status on my AWD with RS-R downs. Originally ordered tanabes but they were not gonna be in stock for months. I had a heck of a time installing these springs, I was a dummy and did it myself instead of paying. I had been working on it since Tuesday, had a bunch of issues along the way mainly due to inexperience. Finally got it completed this morning. Very happy with the drop and how they feel. Its a perfect drop for me and looks good with my stock wheels and spacers I have on. Car rides fantastic, I don't really notice a change, if anything towards the positive in ride quality. I'll post up some pictures later, I assume it will settle more tonight.
Old 11-02-18, 12:29 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by ph0bolus
Painfully put my baby up for sale yesterday , relocating to the PNW. Just waiting for the bumper to be fixed, so I can wash it one last time, minor paint correction, and a ceramic coat.

Does anyone have a front driver side splash guard they aren't using by chance?
Sorry to hear that, you had a really nice looking GS. You were the only other one who painted their calipers copper.
ph0bolus (11-05-18)
Old 11-02-18, 12:36 PM
CaptRog21
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 54 Posts

Finally lowered the 4x4 status on my AWD with RS-R downs. Originally ordered tanabes but they were not gonna be in stock for months. I had a heck of a time installing these springs, I was a dummy and did it myself instead of paying. I had been working on it since Tuesday, had a bunch of issues along the way mainly due to inexperience. Finally got it completed this morning. Very happy with the drop and how they feel. Its a perfect drop for me and looks good with my stock wheels and spacers I have on. Car rides fantastic, I don't really notice a change, if anything towards the positive in ride quality. I'll post up some pictures later, I assume it will settle more tonight.
Definitely post some pics when you can. I was convinced on the Tanabe's but as you said, cant find them in stock right now so am on the fence about ordering the RSR downs. Also planning on putting them on myself, any pointers/tips to help my process go a little smoother?
Old 11-02-18, 01:12 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

RWD may not be as bad to install, I would honestly say if you haven't put suspension on before just pay to have it installed with springs. Especially if you dont have all the proper tools. I have a compressor and good impact gun but some of the joints are very difficult to get out. I'll have pics up tonight. I'd definitely recommend the downs though, superdowns may be too much drop. I don't like to go too low because it creates alot of stress and problems on other components on the car. I had a slammed car before and it ended up causing issues with the oilpan and other things which were 1000s to fix.
Old 11-02-18, 04:04 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Some pics of the drop, not as low as some other rwd but compared to stock height its a nice drop for me.

Pacman9270 (11-05-18)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GS today?