GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

It's a sauna on wheels.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-17, 09:29 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Originally Posted by roblim
I would replace the windshield and mention to the installer that you think there might be a water leak. They might be able to spot the problem when they remove the old windshield. Replacing it won't cost very much money if you go with OEM glass. True Lexus brand glass is 3x as expensive and i doubt any dealer would pay for that, but they might pay for OEM.
Originally Posted by bclexus
What is the difference between 'Lexus brand glass' and an 'OEM' windshield? Isn't an OEM windshield considered equipment that is made by the original manufacturer, and is the same as the windshield that was assembled and installed during the construction of the new vehicle?
Originally Posted by roblim
So a lot of people think OEM is the same as factory, but it isn't. Lexus factory windshields can only be bought from a Lexus dealership parts dept. Factory glass will be in a cardboard box and has the same Lexus logo on it as new cars. It is quite expensive. $800-1000. OEM windshields are supposedly manufactured to the same standards as factory glass, but they will be stamped from a variety of manufacturers◄, PPG, etc. and cost $200-300. The windshield you currently have was probably sold as OEM. Almost no one gets factory glass because of the cost. Most insurance doesn't pay for it. OEM is OK, but as you found out, the installation is even more important than the glass itself. A poor installation can mean water leaks or wind noise.
My windshield is the Original [equipment manufactured] windshield that was installed in the car when it was built. (I'm not the original poster with the 'sauna' problem.)

Your description of an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) part is very different from my understanding. I think you may have OEM confused with Original Equipment Equivalent. A windshield is either OEM, or it is not. Windshields that are supposedly made to the same standards as the original (factory) unit, but made by a different manufacturer than what Lexus uses is not OEM.

You are correct that an OEM Lexus windshield can only be bought from a Lexus parts department. While Lexus does not manufacture their own windshields, Lexus contracts with one or more companies to make their windshields per Lexus' specifications, which includes all parameters such as shape tolerances, thickness, color, lack of imperfections, bubbles, waviness, etc. Those windshields are OEM...
Old 02-03-17, 10:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus;9759119
Your description of an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) part is very different from my understanding. I think you may have OEM confused with Original Equipment Equivalent. A windshield is either OEM, or it is not. Windshields that are supposedly made to the same standards as the original (factory) unit, but made by a different manufacturer than what Lexus uses is [u
not OEM.

You are correct that an OEM Lexus windshield can only be bought from a Lexus parts department. While Lexus does not manufacture their own windshields, Lexus contracts with one or more companies to make their windshields per Lexus' specifications, which includes all parameters such as shape tolerances, thickness, color, lack of imperfections, bubbles, waviness, etc. Those windshields are OEM...
How he is describing "OEM" is how the term "OEM" is used as pertains to auto glass. Just because you request and the insurance company agrees to "OEM" glass does not mean that your new windshield will have a Lexus logo on it. You have to specify OEM branded glass. For instance most Lexus windshields are made by Aashi Glass Corp, mine is Nippon Safety on the LS. If they approve an OEM replacement I may get Aashi or Nippon glass (which would be the original manufacturer), but it may not say Lexus. This is still not the exact same glass Lexus used when they built the car, it may not be of a quality to where Lexus would have accepted it for their assembly line. The only way to know for sure that its the exact same glass is to be adamant that it says "LEXUS" on it, and that is not "OEM" it is "OEM branded".

A Lexus branded replacement can be bought through a glass installer, doesn't have to be from the dealers parts department.
Old 02-03-17, 11:34 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
How he is describing "OEM" is how the term "OEM" is used as pertains to auto glass. Just because you request and the insurance company agrees to "OEM" glass does not mean that your new windshield will have a Lexus logo on it. You have to specify OEM branded glass. For instance most Lexus windshields are made by Aashi Glass Corp, mine is Nippon Safety on the LS. If they approve an OEM replacement I may get Aashi or Nippon glass (which would be the original manufacturer), but it may not say Lexus. This is still not the exact same glass Lexus used when they built the car, it may not be of a quality to where Lexus would have accepted it for their assembly line. The only way to know for sure that its the exact same glass is to be adamant that it says "LEXUS" on it, and that is not "OEM" it is "OEM branded".

A Lexus branded replacement can be bought through a glass installer, doesn't have to be from the dealers parts department.
That's news to me Steve. I didn't know that 'OEM' pertaining to windshields were different compared to 'OEM' for all other parts. I had no idea that requesting/negotiating for an OEM windshield would not guarantee a Lexus branded windshield. I'm glad I haven't run into that problem...

This is what I always thought was the breakdown:

OEM: manufactured by the same company as the original windshield to the same exact specifications as the windshield that was originally installed when the vehicle was assembled at the factory, and includes the car brand's logo just like the original windshield.

OEM brand without the logo: (e.g. Mercedes windshield in the Sekurit brand made by Saint Gobain, but manufactured without the Tristar Mercedes logo). It is the same exact windshield by the same manufacturing plant, just made without the Mercedes logo.

OEE (Original Equipment Equivalent) brand: (a windshield from a completely different manufacturer - such as Pittsburgh Glass Works (PGW) or Pilkington brand windshields. These windshields are supposed to meet all the specifications of the original windshield.

Aftermarket brand: Most aftermarket manufacturers use a process called “reverse engineering” where they take an OEM windshield (meaning a windshield that was originally installed when the vehicle was assembled at the factory), create a mold and produce a replica. Because the quality can be compromised due to the utilization of a mold, results and fit may vary depending on manufacturer. Safelite Auto Glass produces the SGC brand - Safelite Auto Glass’ SGC brand is considered an aftermarket brand because they do not supply windshields at the OEM level for any manufacturer.

Last edited by bclexus; 02-03-17 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-03-17, 12:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I've done a lot of research into this because I always fight for a branded OEM windshield. The insurance companies have started to consider "OEM" to mean by your scale, an OEM without the logo or an OEE windshield. Trying to bring the price down while still making the customer feel like they have an "OEM" windshield.

And the OEM without the logo may not be the exact same windshield. Glass companies have different standards when they are true OEM applications (the ones branded) and aftermarket applications (unbranded). Carmakers inspect and reject glass all the time, often these rejected windshields become OEM without the logo.
Old 02-03-17, 12:24 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I've done a lot of research into this because I always fight for a branded OEM windshield. The insurance companies have started to consider "OEM" to mean by your scale, an OEM without the logo or an OEE windshield. Trying to bring the price down while still making the customer feel like they have an "OEM" windshield.

And the OEM without the logo may not be the exact same windshield. Glass companies have different standards when they are true OEM applications (the ones branded) and aftermarket applications (unbranded). Carmakers inspect and reject glass all the time, often these rejected windshields become OEM without the logo.
Nice to know beforehand so you're not surprised...
Old 02-03-17, 05:31 PM
kitra
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Car is drying out.

This car is my first Toyota product. They always advertise about perfection....So back in early December 2016, I called the Lexus Dealer and they never called me back. Since the car is not being used much, due to the gravel they keep putting down for the snow/ice, I let it go for now. So I called Wednesday of this week regarding my car's damp interior and the lack of heat from the HVAC. They transferred me to the Service Advisor's voice-mail. And here I am Friday night and no word from the Lexus Service Department. Maybe they don't care since they got my $30K for the purchase of the car and another $3100 for the extended warranty through 06/2025.

At this point, I certainly won't be rushing down to buy another Toyota product. I'm not sure how to proceed from here? Maybe show up and talk to them instead of calling? I'm pretty passive so get run over quite a bit. Maybe BCLEXUS has some advice? Thanks.
Old 02-03-17, 06:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Try a different dealership. I would just call in and schedule an appointment with whoever answers. Even my dealer who is excellent and my service rep who is also great struggles to return voicemails.

They should take it and put you in a loaner no questions asked.
Old 02-03-17, 06:29 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kitra
This car is my first Toyota product. They always advertise about perfection....So back in early December 2016, I called the Lexus Dealer and they never called me back. Since the car is not being used much, due to the gravel they keep putting down for the snow/ice, I let it go for now. So I called Wednesday of this week regarding my car's damp interior and the lack of heat from the HVAC. They transferred me to the Service Advisor's voice-mail. And here I am Friday night and no word from the Lexus Service Department. Maybe they don't care since they got my $30K for the purchase of the car and another $3100 for the extended warranty through 06/2025.

At this point, I certainly won't be rushing down to buy another Toyota product. I'm not sure how to proceed from here? Maybe show up and talk to them instead of calling? I'm pretty passive so get run over quite a bit. Maybe BCLEXUS has some advice? Thanks.
Assuming you don't have another Lexus dealership nearby, call the Lexus dealership and ask to speak to the general manager. Leave a message for the GM to call you if you must - don't talk to anyone else. Tell the GM about your multiple calls to the service advisor(s) that are not being returned. Be prepared to give the GM the service advisors' names and dates when you left your messages. Tell the GM that you want the kind of service that Lexus promises their customers, which thus far has been worthless. Tell the GM that you want him to make arrangements for either their Service Manager or an Assistant Service Manager to call you. I cannot imagine that you will not get a call, and get the customer attention that you deserve. Let us know how it goes...

Last edited by bclexus; 02-03-17 at 06:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DP03 (02-03-17)
Old 02-03-17, 08:36 PM
kitra
Driver

Default Nice, Thanks.

BCLEXUS is amazing here as always. Only one Dealership here. I will follow your advise. I'm not sure I can pull up the date and time I called in December but have my recent outgoing call on my cell-phone as I called on my lunch break from work.

My old SAAB I purchased CPO in 2/3/2006 (Wow, 11th Anniversary today and same day of week - Friday). Two days after I purchased it, the turbocharger failed. Kuni SAAB gave me a Cadillac CTS at the time, fixed my SAAB, no questions asked. Very apologetic. Even offered a refund. Then called me and asked if I wouldn't mind keeping the CTS for a while longer? When I picked up the SAAB, they had replaced the turbocharger, water pump, accessory belt, CAT back exhaust, replaced the console assembly between the seats as they found a crack. Fully detailed the car to the point it was showroom new looking (2002 Model year). Real Customer Service with a smile. Nothing but praise for them. We even wrote them a nice letter of praise at the time. I may have bought another SAAB if they weren't defunct, except General Motors pretty much destroyed the brand. So the Lexus Dealer here is also a "Kuni" business and no comparison to back then. - at least thus far. I do have some fear my GS350 could have been damaged but I find no signs of repaint. A wreck could explain the water leak. Just rock chips on the front clip. I should run it over to Precision Auto Body when the weather clears up a bit for inspection. Last night they laid tons of new gravel down again. Black ice overnight = panic here. Nothing like getting you car rock blasted, salted, and mag chlorided.
Old 02-03-17, 09:54 PM
DP03
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Definitely a problem with the dealership. Mine (Lexus of Annapolis (MD) has been the absolute opposite. Follow BCLEXUS's recommendations and I think you will see results. It's a shame that it went this far, though...
Old 02-03-17, 10:48 PM
kitra
Driver

I just read all the google reviews for my servicing Dealer. They got excellent reviews (4.8/5.0) overall however most were for the Sales side. So I am not sure why the lack of contact or concern? I do know when they told me the interior dented metal trim was not warrantied, I came back with the TSB and they fixed it right up. They were surprised I came back with the TSB. Then I asked to get the lane change set to 7 blinks, they did 5 and said 7 wasn't possible. I programmed it myself to "7" using this forum for instructions. At least I'm getting the car dry with the Damp Rid. It's absolutely pouring out tonight so I will see how the car is in the morning.
Old 02-04-17, 05:38 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Lexus brand glass does not cost less than $1000. I had my windshield replaced with Lexus bramd glass under my request with my insurance company and they had a local shop install it and it was $2900+ . I still have the invoice for that. I ended up paying the deductible of $250.

My car is always in recirculating mode and I do not have this problem unless I have the car in AC off mode. I am pretty sure you yave a leak.
Old 02-04-17, 05:58 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I agree there must be a leak. No HVAC setting is going to put that much water in the car. This is going to continue to be an issue until that leak is found and fixed.

Sorry your dealer isnt isn't dealing with this appropriately. May be time to call Lexus.
Old 02-06-17, 04:08 PM
tidalk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kitra
My 2014 GS 350 steams up if I don't keep the ventilation system set for A/C all the time. Even at that, I come out in the morning to leave for work and the windows and sunroof glass are often dripping wet. My other cars are dry and windows are clear. I use the HVAC ECO mode on my other vehicles with nary a problem with condensation. I have to towel dry the windows down on the GS before I leave for work (inside surface). Once at work parked in a covered garage, I roll the windows down a bit to let it clear/dry out.

Anyone else having this issue?
Ive had the same issue too. Its more frequent on rainy days due to the moisture, but its really excessive compared to other cars. We have a gs450h... and I always have to shoot the AC on for a couple of seconds to rid of the fogginess...
Old 02-06-17, 07:51 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Lexus brand glass does not cost less than $1000. I had my windshield replaced with Lexus bramd glass under my request with my insurance company and they had a local shop install it and it was $2900+ . I still have the invoice for that. I ended up paying the deductible of $250.

My car is always in recirculating mode and I do not have this problem unless I have the car in AC off mode. I am pretty sure you yave a leak.
Was that on an LF-A? 1200-1500 is the price in Los Angeles for a Lexus branded windshield with installation. 2900 is off the charts high.

Quick Reply: It's a sauna on wheels.