GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

It's a sauna on wheels.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-17, 07:48 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,289 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by kitra
Latest update. They replaced the windshield using a Lexus glass with the heater grids. Yippee. My car is complete again. The installer said he really looked it over and saw no signs of a windshield leak situation. Now that isn't what we wanted to hear. But, it really seemed like my taped over windshield solved the issue. So I am really hoping this issue will be behind us. Interestingly, I talked to the original owners (lease) of our F-Sport. It was "Her" car. They told us it was a wonderful vehicle and very free of issues. The car was always garaged and freeway/highway miles. When the lease ran out, they very much considered buying it but upgraded to another Lexus. No accidents and the windshield was replaced early in the lease. Rock took it out I think. They said no water ever showed up, probably due to garage parking. Anyway, the perfect car in my eyes, high-mileage lease return, highway miles, female driver mainly, well-cared for/loved vehicle. So hope the leak is behind us but time will tell. Their thoughts and mine are the trunk doesn't leak, the rear window doesn't leak, the sunroof doesn't leak, the doors don't leak. So what else? Windshield hopefully was it.
Congrats on getting the Lexus branded windshield installed. As you say it remains to be seen if the leak continues to happen. Please keep us informed...
Old 04-07-17, 08:10 AM
kitra
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tlbryant7,
You GS-350 sounds like the perfect option package and color. Our is that bright white metallic color. I never liked grey but the Nebula Grey really looks classy.

We bought our Lexus the mid-part of September, 2016. Living in Oregon, it rains a lot. First noticed some dampness in October. Lexus thought it could be leftover moisture from the detailing they did to sell it but the car sat 55 days on their lot. Then it keep getting worse. If you look earlier in this thread, there are photobucket pictures. Amazing mess. So I carry cotton white towels to wipe the windows down. The came a light dusting of snow and ice and they painted the roads with gravel. At that point, I parked the car to save glass and paint. Only drove for errands on weekends. And it just kept getting wetter. Lexus told me it was my issue since the main suspect was the windshield which been replaced before I owned it. We got help by us finding that the windshield was the wrong one for our car. No wiper deicers present. If we would not have discovered this wrong glass, nothing would have happened.

The glass installer found no evidence of leakage from windshield which is concerning. If the car still leaks, I think it will have to go away. This ordeal was lengthy and frustrating. But I do thank them for making it right and whole.
Old 04-07-17, 08:05 PM
kitra
Driver

I picked up my car tonight. There was no-charge. My Service Advisor was off today and Brad (Advisor) assisted me. He looked at the invoice and kept looking at it. I said I believe the repairs are on you Folks? He said yes, they billed it against the Sales Department. It looked like his copy said $1544. My copy said $00.00. Nice. I'm pretty pleased right now. Does the vehicle still leak? Time will tell.

Last edited by kitra; 04-10-17 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-27-17, 06:42 AM
Shelly40
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well.... I'm sure everyone wants to know....

It's been about 3 weeks now.....

Did the new windshield solve the leaking problem ?

Shelly
Old 04-27-17, 07:44 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 102 Posts

Interested to know as well, and if you got the smell out.
Old 04-27-17, 05:32 PM
kitra
Driver

Well, I wish I had solid news regarding my vehicle. Carpets are still slightly damp. The damp areas are behind both front seats, underneath the front seats and just in front of the seats near the tunnel hump. We have had lots of rain and I can say that the carpets aren't any wetter. I'm still using Damp-Dry.

The problem is, when I got the car back from the Dealer, the carpets were still wet. They apparently couldn't dry them out, the same problem I'm having. So I need to get the car warm for an extended period to get it dry. The only not-so-good news is the Guy that did the windshield replacement noted that "there are no signs of the previous windshield leaking". If the car does still leak, I'm lost. Seems like all that would be left is sunroof drains which have already been checked as OK.

I may not know for some time if the leaking issue has been solved?
Old 05-23-17, 08:45 PM
kitra
Driver

Default Car seems to be dry now.

We've had unseasonably warm weather here so I've left the vehicle in the sun and windows up. The high heat appears to have dried everything out. We really won't know if the water leak is solved until the rains return. The car has sat most of the time I've owned (1300 miles our mine) it so now I am driving it to work daily. Iffy at work as earlier this week, someone broke the windows out of a Mazda SUV in broad daylight. Anyway, I'm liking the car but would very much unlike it if it gets wet again. I'm thinking of selling it but then thinking, well, maybe it will be OK. . I will say that the new Lexus windshield has no distortion that I can find. The Pilkinton brand they took out magnified along the bottom portion of the glass. This glass is amazingly clear. $1500 I guess it should be. (billed to Lexus Sales).

That's the latest. Thanks everyone for the advise throughout this amazing journey.

Last edited by kitra; 08-16-17 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-13-19, 05:50 PM
kitra
Driver

I haven't been here in a while. The Dealer "may" have fixed the water leak but I decided I no longer wanted to own this car. My first Toyota I've even owned but never really warmed up to this vehicle. I hated the seats. I couldn't get comfortable for long drives. But as the Dealer even told me - "The Lexus seats will never be as comfortable as the seats are in your SAAB, which had some seats in the best in the industry". Seemed like lots of blind spots. I'm sure these are good cars but I had a bad start and just couldn't put it behind me. So I'm still driving my 17 year old SAAB. I also have acquired a FIAT Abarth that I absolutely love.
Old 06-13-19, 06:09 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,289 Likes on 1,630 Posts

I haven't been here in a while. The Dealer "may" have fixed the water leak but I decided I no longer wanted to own this car. My first Toyota I've even owned but never really warmed up to this vehicle. I hated the seats. I couldn't get comfortable for long drives. But as the Dealer even told me - "The Lexus seats will never be as comfortable as the seats are in your SAAB, which had some seats in the best in the industry". Seemed like lots of blind spots. I'm sure these are good cars but I had a bad start and just couldn't put it behind me. So I'm still driving my 17 year old SAAB. I also have acquired a FIAT Abarth that I absolutely love.
You're right - you had quite a time with that car! Maybe some day you'll have another Lexus that will be better for you. If so, come join us.
Old 06-14-19, 05:13 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,450 Posts

The seats from the Luxury package are much more comfortable than the standard seats. I swapped out my seats for the lux and will never again buy a Lexus without them.
Old 06-14-19, 08:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,762 Likes on 1,972 Posts

I still miss the seats from my 13 luxury package...
Old 06-14-19, 08:22 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I still miss the seats from my 13 luxury package...
You have the LS, should be better than the GS seats.
Old 06-14-19, 08:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,762 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
You have the LS, should be better than the GS seats.
The seats in the LS460 don't have the multi-contour adjustments of the GS Luxury seats. They're great seats too, just not as adjustable as the ones in the luxury package GS.
The following users liked this post:
ChronoR (06-14-19)