GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Whining noise around 60mph

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-17, 01:42 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,135 Likes on 841 Posts

Originally Posted by jhill2015
Hi Guys! Hope everyone's doing well. I'm so glad I stumbled upon this because I recently purchased PIRELLI CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS XL tires and was convinced I had poor tires but this is actually a known issue. Mine only occurs at 60mph also. My car is still under manuf warranty. Will the dealer honor it through the TSB even though that states 30-50mph? I appreciate all of your help in advance! Thanks.
If your car is still under full warranty (the original 4yr/50k) then I recommend taking it in as that will trump even the TSB. If there is ANYTHING wrong with the car within that warranty period, they will need to make it right. The TSB is there is there to identify a common, specific problem that they will cover and this one "whining" noise happens to be covered under the AWD powertrain warranty.

You might have a different problem altogether at 60mph so I'd recommend taking it in under your full warranty and hearing what they say they can do for you...
Old 08-02-17, 09:02 AM
SuperXer0
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So i've been reading this thread and was curious to see if I have the same problem. I started cruising on the highway at about 60-70 mph then decelerating. I've tried to do it a couple times to make sure i wasn't overlooking anything. At about the fourth attempt I heard this whining noise coming from the passenger side... "what are you doing? just drive! Can't this wait until we get home?!" the wife started yelling at me. perhaps I should retry when I'm alone.

On a serious note, i did not hear any mechanical whining noises. I hope you get this resolved.
Old 08-03-17, 07:00 AM
tompass
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

I have been hearing this whine for some time now. Plan to go in to dealer right after Labor Day. Will have just under....70K.
Old 08-03-17, 08:41 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SuperXer0
So i've been reading this thread and was curious to see if I have the same problem. I started cruising on the highway at about 60-70 mph then decelerating. I've tried to do it a couple times to make sure i wasn't overlooking anything. At about the fourth attempt I heard this whining noise coming from the passenger side... "what are you doing? just drive! Can't this wait until we get home?!" the wife started yelling at me. perhaps I should retry when I'm alone.

On a serious note, i did not hear any mechanical whining noises. I hope you get this resolved.
Originally Posted by tompass
I have been hearing this whine for some time now. Plan to go in to dealer right after Labor Day. Will have just under....70K.
SuperXer0 and tompass: Do you guys have AWD?

I'm planning to go the the dealership tomorrow to hear what they say. I already supplied them with the TSB and i'm planning to take a test ride with a tech (because i'm thinking when they the test drive themselves, they won't know which sound to listen out for).
Old 08-03-17, 09:59 AM
MH6
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2013 Luxury AWD, 66.500 miles and have had this whine for a while. Mine happens at 57-60 mph, no other speed that I can tell.
I studied the TSB.
Took it my dealer, Lexus of Nashville and they always do their best to take care of any problem and have excellent customer service.
They know I am a technical guy, know my vehicles and come prepared to discuss the issue. I always speak with the tech's about an issue or with Zack, their Technically Pro.
Great rapport.

Sad to read some people's dealership are bad in all departments.

Zack and I discussed it and drove the car together, he was in the passenger seat and heard the noise, I mentioned the TSB, he was aware of it and agreed.
He said that they have applied it to a few IS AWD, but believed my GS would be first to have it installed there. They had no hesitation in applying the TSB and would give it a try.

They ordered the parts, took a day, and installed. The result is the whine is less but did not disappear...... it is still there.
After discussing things further, at this point, not much more they can do physically. He did write up a technical report and submit it the regional tech.
He says that they do listen and often inquire further about issues submitted. If something else becomes available towards this issue they will let me know and apply it,

Some people may have better luck with the TSB, but as I have read, seems like people are having the same out come as myself.
The following users liked this post:
AJLex19 (08-03-17)
Old 08-03-17, 10:19 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

@MH6 : Since the TSB states 30-50mph, glad to hear they honored the TSB even though your noise was happening closer to 60mph. Thank you for posting this as I may point out this thread and other's experiences to help explain things while at the dealership. Although it seems like everyone's experience that has gotten it fixed is that there is still a noise even after the remedy is applied...maybe the noise is just a general issue with AWD.

Last edited by AJLex19; 08-03-17 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-03-17, 10:41 AM
nerv81
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MH6
I have a 2013 Luxury AWD, 66.500 miles and have had this whine for a while. Mine happens at 57-60 mph, no other speed that I can tell.
I studied the TSB.
Took it my dealer, Lexus of Nashville and they always do their best to take care of any problem and have excellent customer service.
They know I am a technical guy, know my vehicles and come prepared to discuss the issue. I always speak with the tech's about an issue or with Zack, their Technically Pro.
Great rapport.

Sad to read some people's dealership are bad in all departments.

Zack and I discussed it and drove the car together, he was in the passenger seat and heard the noise, I mentioned the TSB, he was aware of it and agreed.
He said that they have applied it to a few IS AWD, but believed my GS would be first to have it installed there. They had no hesitation in applying the TSB and would give it a try.

They ordered the parts, took a day, and installed. The result is the whine is less but did not disappear...... it is still there.
After discussing things further, at this point, not much more they can do physically. He did write up a technical report and submit it the regional tech.
He says that they do listen and often inquire further about issues submitted. If something else becomes available towards this issue they will let me know and apply it,

Some people may have better luck with the TSB, but as I have read, seems like people are having the same out come as myself.
I had the whine between 30-50 and had the TSB applied (different motor mount) which solved that issue but the whine at 60 is still there.. I'm hoping if enough people complain about the whine around 60mph they'll actually look into and issue a new TSB cause that's the only way the 2 dealers I went to will address the noise. Please update us know if you hear anything back from your dealer. They seem to actually care about their customers.
Old 08-03-17, 11:07 AM
MH6
Driver

Originally Posted by AJLex19
@MH6 : Since the TSB states 30-50mph, glad to hear they honored the TSB even though your noise was happening closer to 60mph. Thank you for posting this as I may point out this thread and other's experiences to help explain things while at the dealership. Although it seems like everyone's experience that has gotten it fixed is that there is still a noise even after the remedy is applied...maybe the noise is just a general issue with AWD.
AJLEX19 ....sure thing. Now that I think about it, When he told my service writer what to put down, I believe he did say "heard noise at 45-50 mph, even though he knew it was 57-60 when we were hearing it.
The TSB does say 30-50, he was going to apply it regardless though. He probably said that, so he could move without issue's.
I will double check my paperwork this evening for you so you are aware.

Last edited by MH6; 08-03-17 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-03-17, 11:14 AM
MH6
Driver

Originally Posted by nerv81
I had the whine between 30-50 and had the TSB applied (different motor mount) which solved that issue but the whine at 60 is still there.. I'm hoping if enough people complain about the whine around 60mph they'll actually look into and issue a new TSB cause that's the only way the 2 dealers I went to will address the noise. Please update us know if you hear anything back from your dealer. They seem to actually care about their customers.
NERV81 .... agree, that's what he was saying,,, they get enough complaints and hopefully another solution will be engineered and applied.
The entire TSB was applied on mine... rear mount, cross member, and new exhaust gaskets.
Will pass along anything I hear, they are great folks and they do care, I drive 50 minutes one way to see them.

Last edited by MH6; 08-03-17 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-03-17, 11:45 AM
tompass
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

AWD for me. I will bring copy of TSB with me.
Old 08-03-17, 07:23 PM
MH6
Driver

Originally Posted by MH6
AJLEX19 ....sure thing. Now that I think about it, When he told my service writer what to put down, I believe he did say "heard noise at 45-50 mph, even though he knew it was 57-60 when we were hearing it.
The TSB does say 30-50, he was going to apply it regardless though. He probably said that, so he could move without issue's.
I will double check my paperwork this evening for you so you are aware.

AJLEX19 ...so just reviewed my paperwork and I was incorrect this morning with above. He actually told service writer .... "Customer hears whining noise when driving 45-60" ! So he did say 60 in the statement.
Hope this helps your effort.
Let us know how it goes for you.
Old 08-04-17, 08:37 AM
vuong05
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Does this TSB apply to Canadian GS350 AWD? I think I have the whining noise as well. Was driving home last night and decided to turn the radio off to see if I could hear this "whining noise". Sure enough, I could hear a faint whining noise at 45 MPH while coasting on a flat road. It wasn't a super loud noise, but noticeable with the radio off. FYI, I drive a 2014 GS350 F Sport AWD.

Thanks.
Old 08-04-17, 10:35 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MH6
AJLEX19 ...so just reviewed my paperwork and I was incorrect this morning with above. He actually told service writer .... "Customer hears whining noise when driving 45-60" ! So he did say 60 in the statement.
Hope this helps your effort.
Let us know how it goes for you.
Update: I just got back from Lexus of Bridgewater. Initially, the service advistor didn't know why I was there even though I specifically told the service receptionist that I was coming in for a TSB Whine Noise from 30-50mph (which she said she noted down but oh well). I got there and the adviser initially said he is not familiar with the noise or the TSB. I then showed him a printed copy of the TSB, he read it over and I waited for over an hour and a half...

He came back and (of course) the technician who drove my car couldn't hear the noise. I offered to take a drive with the tech but the adviser said he wants to avoid any back and forth and would honor the TSB even though they didn't hear it for themselves. Since they don't have the parts in stock, they are ordering the parts and will call me to come back in when the parts are delivered.

So far i'm glad I took the time to go and am happy with the service response - i'm hoping to get a call back sooner than later but i'll keep this thread updated. He said he expects the parts to be delivered sometime next week. I'll definitely follow up with them by mid-week.

I do have the same noise at 60mph as well but hopefully it will get better when they perform the fix in the TSB. Thanks again to everyone on this thread for their insight and information!
Old 08-04-17, 10:47 AM
MH6
Driver

Glad to hear you had some success and they are going to take care of the TSB without too much hassle.
Once the parts are there (mine took a day to get) it takes a couple hours to install.
When you get it back, you will notice the new installed exhaust gaskets smell. it disappeared in a couple of days.

Hopefully your results will very good.

Last edited by MH6; 08-04-17 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-04-17, 01:32 PM
SuperXer0
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
SuperXer0 and tompass: Do you guys have AWD?

I'm planning to go the the dealership tomorrow to hear what they say. I already supplied them with the TSB and i'm planning to take a test ride with a tech (because i'm thinking when they the test drive themselves, they won't know which sound to listen out for).
I have an AWD. The whining noise i heard from the passenger side was my wife's voice. Otherwise, no noise. sorry to mislead.
The following users liked this post:
jjkrause1 (05-09-19)

Quick Reply: Whining noise around 60mph