GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Dealer Lied About Needing Brakes, Best Course of Action?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-17, 05:10 PM
OhioAWD
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angry Dealer Lied About Needing Brakes, Best Course of Action?

Hey guys, I need your advice on how to handle a Lexus stealership lying to me about needing a rear brake job. I just bought a used 2014 GS 350 AWD with 36,000 miles from a non-Lexus dealer. I took it to my local Lexus dealer in Ohio to get an oil change and courtesy inspection. They told me my car was in great shape, except that I needed new rear brakes because my pads were down to 3mm. They quoted me $680 for new rear brake pads and rotors. I left the stealership and bought my own parts and went to my local mechanic today who did the install for $75. Bought Akebono ceramic pads and Bosch QuietCast rotors for $145 shipped on Amazon. My mechanic saved my pads and told me that they still had 7mm left and that the Lexus stealership lied to me. So I have the printout from the dealer that says rear brake pad thickness is 3mm, and I have the physical pads that all have at least 7mm left. Outside of never going to this dealer again, I want restitution for being lied to! I took a day off of work and spent money for nothing.

Should I call the manager of the Lexus dealer first? To see what they are willing to do for me? Or should I just call Lexus corporate and file a complaint?

I know the dealer's take feedback to Lexus corporate seriously. The service dept. people begged me to give them all 10's on the service follow up survey, anything lower they get in trouble. I am not the type to let anything slide when I am wronged. If I don't get satisfactory restitution, I will cause a ***** storm for the dealer. At a minimum, I would write a letter and call Lexus corporate, file a complaint with the BBB, file a complaint with the Ohio Attorney General, file a complaint with the Ohio Consumer Affairs decision, and write bad reviews on all of the internet sites.
Old 01-05-17, 05:25 PM
OUGrad05
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you should contact the dealer and corporate simultaneously and let the dealer know that you're doing that. You should also arrange a sit down down meeting with the service manager and general manager with the removed pads in hand.
Old 01-05-17, 05:26 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Wow - you're really that upset over 4 millimeters (0.15748" or ~3/16") difference? Does it really upset you enough to file a complaint with the Ohio Attorney General and Ohio Consumer Affairs, and write bad reviews on all of the internet sites? Do you weigh the meat in your quarter-pound burger? Do you by-chance own any firearms?

You say you want restitution for being lied to... I'm not so sure you're going to be receiving anything from the Lexus dealership that will make you happy...since there's always two sides to such a story. You say they begged you... You said proudly; "I am not the type to let anything slide when I am wronged. If I don't get satisfactory restitution, I will cause a ***** storm for the dealer." Well, if you "cause a ***** storm" at the dealership you may just get thrown out the front door on your ***!

Tell me - Did you get upset with your local mechanic for going ahead and changing the rotors and pads when you had 7mm pad thickness remaining across the entire surfaces of the existing inside and outside rear pads? You could have saved the new parts you ordered for later, or returned them for credit...

PS - Does it make you feel really good all over to talk tough on the Internet?

Last edited by bclexus; 01-05-17 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-05-17, 05:28 PM
OUGrad05
Rookie

Originally Posted by bclexus
Wow - you're really that upset over 4 millimeters (0.15748" or ~3/16") difference?
Standard thickness on a brake pad is 10 to 12 mm when new. So yes 4mm is significant and the dealership lied, so yes he should be pissed.
Old 01-05-17, 05:50 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by OUGrad05
Standard thickness on a brake pad is 10 to 12 mm when new. So yes 4mm is significant and the dealership lied, so yes he should be pissed.
but he can be pissed off at his local mech too since he went ahead and did the job when he don't need to and make him pay for the labor?
Old 01-05-17, 06:30 PM
OhioAWD
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down

Wow - you're really that upset over 4 millimeters (0.15748" or ~3/16") difference? Does it really upset you enough to file a complaint with the Ohio Attorney General and Ohio Consumer Affairs, and write bad reviews on all of the internet sites? Do you weigh the meat in your quarter-pound burger? Do you by-chance own any firearms?

Tell me - Did you get upset with your local mechanic for going ahead and changing the rotors and pads when you had 7mm pad thickness remaining across the entire surfaces of the existing inside and outside rear pads? You could have saved the parts for later, or returned the parts for credit...
Obviously you don't know anything about cars. And dealers must LOVE you coming in for service because you will probably do everything they recommend. The dealer basically told me that I had about 15-20% life left in my pads by saying they were 3mm thick. The fact is that the actual 7mm I have left equals to roughly 55-65% life left. Rear brakes wear very slowly and the 7mm I had left probably would have been fine for another 50,000 miles as they were the original pads from the factory.

No, I do not weigh my burgers. Great anology by the way, comparing apples to watermelons. A burger is a couple of bucks while this brake job cost me $400 in lost pay and over $200 out of my pocket. You don't even know anything about me and lay a outragous statement that I'm probably dangerous if I own a gun. You are truly ignorant! YES, I own many firearms and I know how to use them extremely well. My best friend is a former Marine sniper. I believe in the constitutional right to bear arms. I have a conceal carry license. And no I am not an emotional nutjob with a gun. I would never shoot anyone unless they threaten my life or my family's life.

And my local mechanic did nothing wrong. He put new tires and rear brakes on my car as I requested. He knows I am a car fanatic and does exactly what I ask. The dealer is 100% at fault. And please don't post anything on my threads unless you can be cordial like everyone else on this forum. If you think I am extreme in my thinking, that's fine, but there was no need to berate me.
The following 2 users liked this post by OhioAWD:
rk1972 (07-31-22), Spideyman1 (01-28-17)
Old 01-05-17, 06:35 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioAWD
Obviously you don't know anything about cars. And dealers must LOVE you coming in for service because you will probably do everything they recommend. The dealer basically told me that I had about 15-20% life left in my pads by saying they were 3mm thick. The fact is that the actual 7mm I have left equals to roughly 55-65% life left. Rear brakes wear very slowly and the 7mm I had left probably would have been fine for another 50,000 miles as they were the original pads from the factory.

No, I do not weigh my burgers. Great anology by the way, comparing apples to watermelons. A burger is a couple of bucks while this brake job cost me $400 in lost pay and over $200 out of my pocket. You don't even know anything about me and lay a outragous statement that I'm probably dangerous if I own a gun. You are truly ignorant! YES, I own many firearms and I know how to use them extremely well. My best friend is a former Marine sniper. I believe in the constitutional right to bear arms. I have a conceal carry license. And no I am not an emotional nutjob with a gun. I would never shoot anyone unless they threaten my life or my family's life.

And my local mechanic did nothing wrong. He put new tires and rear brakes on my car as I requested. He knows I am a car fanatic and does exactly what I ask. The dealer is 100% at fault. And please don't post anything on my threads unless you can be cordial like everyone else on this forum. If you think I am extreme in my thinking, that's fine, but there was no need to berate me.
Good luck in your pursuit!

Let us know what the Ohio Attorney General has to say...

Last edited by bclexus; 01-05-17 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-05-17, 06:37 PM
OhioAWD
Driver School Candidate

You say you want restitution for being lied to... I'm not so sure you're going to be receiving anything from the Lexus dealership that will make you happy...since there's always two sides to such a story. You say they begged you... You said proudly; "I am not the type to let anything slide when I am wronged. If I don't get satisfactory restitution, I will cause a ***** storm for the dealer." Well, if you "cause a ***** storm" at the dealership you may just get thrown out the front door on your ***!

PS - Does it make you feel really good all over to talk tough on the Internet?
Wow, you are even more ignorant than I thought. I'm talking about hurting the reputation of the dealer. Not having a temper tantrum in the dealership. And yes, I'm angry and my words are probably a little strong. Can't a guy a vent to blow off some steam?

And how am I talking tough? I'm not talking about fighting or anything like that. I'm talking about hurting the dealer where it hurts, which is financially. Reputation affects sales.

You are probably a 25 year old kid who thinks he is a gangster.
Old 01-05-17, 06:42 PM
OhioAWD
Driver School Candidate

bclexus,

you look like you are a real solid contributor on this forum. thanked 3 times in 2,404 posts. you should stop posting and wasting people's time reading the garbage that comes out of your mouth
Old 01-05-17, 06:46 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

1. You should take that conversation to private messages please.

2. On topic, I would face to face with the service manager. Don't be emotional about it. Let the facts speak for themselves. They need to attempt to regain your trust because when it's broken (as in this case) its customers can ruin their reputation and in most cases that's worse than any restitution they might owe you if they had to pay you back.

They owe you an apology. Your choice not to return the parts you could (if you could). Lexus doesn't owe you that imho. They do however, in my humble opinion, owe you some complimentary service(s) in the future.

Just my thoughts.

Sal
Old 01-05-17, 06:46 PM
OUGrad05
Rookie

bclexus,

you look like you are a real solid contributor on this forum. thanked 3 times in 2,404 posts. you should stop posting and wasting people's time reading the garbage that comes out of your mouth
Quit taking the troll bait and use the report post function.

You are correct the dealership needs to be called out on it, let's get the thread back on track.

Please let us know what course of action and what resolution(s) come about.
Old 01-05-17, 06:55 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Its not a Lexus, but I do have a 2000 car that has around 60,000 miles and the original brakes. With supposed Lexus perfection there is no way at 36,000 miles the brake pads should be worn out, unless the previous driver drove with his/her foot on the brake. With supposed high quality parts the factory pads should at least go 50K miles with normal driving. So at 3mm -----> .118 That is just under 1/8 inch, and like the one poster says new pads are around 12mm -----> .472 that is just under a 1/2 inch,
and the measured 7mm -----> .275. They had another year to go before replacement. And don't the cars have a warning for low brake pads?
Even the stealer independents do that same sort of thing. I have zero trust for all auto shops, they love to pad the bill. Though when it comes to things like a timing belt, I found that in my area the dealer was the best bang for the buck. They where less cost than all the independents I called and also offered a free loaner car.
Old 01-05-17, 07:00 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Good luck in your pursuit!
Wow, you are even more ignorant than I thought. I'm talking about hurting the reputation of the dealer. Not having a temper tantrum in the dealership. And yes, I'm angry and my words are probably a little strong. Can't a guy a vent to blow off some steam?

And how am I talking tough? I'm not talking about fighting or anything like that. I'm talking about hurting the dealer where it hurts, which is financially. Reputation affects sales.

You are probably a 25 year old kid who thinks he is a gangster.
bclexus,

Alright guys let's focus on the problem no need to call each other.
The following users liked this post:
DaveGS4 (01-05-17)
Old 01-05-17, 07:17 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

I understand your frustration but, dealers,tire centers, Jiffy Lube's... have one motto in mind sell sell sell whether the customer needs it or NOT! This is an issue that will be a lot more frustration for you than for anyone else. Now, if the dealer changed your oil and forgot to put the drain plug in and ruined your engine, that's a different case. Back in 95 I bought a new Corvette and had some warranty work done to correct some oil leaks at my local Chevy dealer. The SA advised me what parts they would be replacing gaskets on so I set up the appointment to have them do it. Gaskets to be replaced were the intake, valve covers & pan gasket. I pick the car up and inspect it at home and noticed they only replaced the pan gasket and nothing else. I brought it to the SA's attention and he lied and said that all work was performed. I told him that I marked the parts and that none of the marks I made were disturbed in which they would be if the repairs had been made. Long story short, I called GM and got no results, contacted BBB and nothing really happened etc. etc. etc... My dad even worked for GM and couldn't get any results. My so called friend worked at this dealer at a later time and told the SA about me and the SA surely didn't forget who I was and told my friend that I was lying and they did all the work. Eventually, I replaced the gaskets myself and probably did a better job anyway. Later my friend retires from this dealer and tells me that one of the longtime service techs. that worked on my car just didn't replace everything the work order stated because sometimes he just wasn't in the mood to perform such functions. Obviously the tech no longer works there nor does the SA. In the long run it was totally not worth the frustration for ME! Some things in life you have to pick and choose your battles.
The following users liked this post:
Skjulka (08-26-18)
Old 01-05-17, 07:20 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

One other thing, the tech. and the SA retired from the business and were not fired due to my case there.

Quick Reply: Dealer Lied About Needing Brakes, Best Course of Action?