GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Cold Start Vibration Normal???

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-16, 02:23 PM
Colorwind
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cold Start Vibration Normal???

From last winter I noticed that my 13' AWD vibrates when starting the engine in cold weather and shifting to D (while pressing the brake pedal). The engine revs at about 1k rpm. Sometime the vibration feels so weird that I have to shift to N when the vibration is completely gone (and it revs around 1.2k rpm). I don't feel the vibration when I don't hit the brake pedal and the car runs fine.

Is this normal? Does anybody in this forum suffer the same problem? Could it be a failing clutch when pressing the brake pedal in D mode that creates vibration? I definitely don't feel the same in other seasons. I have brought to dealership to check it up. But they couldn't find the problem because engine had already warmed up.

Please let me know your thought and shall I ask dealership to check it again?

Thanks a lot!
Old 11-08-16, 04:15 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorwind
From last winter I noticed that my 13' AWD vibrates when starting the engine in cold weather and shifting to D (while pressing the brake pedal). The engine revs at about 1k rpm. Sometime the vibration feels so weird that I have to shift to N when the vibration is completely gone (and it revs around 1.2k rpm). I don't feel the vibration when I don't hit the brake pedal and the car runs fine.

Is this normal? Does anybody in this forum suffer the same problem? Could it be a failing clutch when pressing the brake pedal in D mode that creates vibration? I definitely don't feel the same in other seasons. I have brought to dealership to check it up. But they couldn't find the problem because engine had already warmed up.

Please let me know your thought and shall I ask dealership to check it again?

Thanks a lot!
Let it warm up first. It's trying to get to operating temperature. Once the revs drop to 750 or so you're good. And yes , it will vibrate when cold , because the engine management is trying to drop the revs many times per second but can't since it's not fully warm.
Old 11-08-16, 08:57 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I've found this with every automatic I've ever driven. When you're in 'D' the transmission is engaged and the car is trying to move, but your brakes are holding it in place. This puts puts load on the drivetrain and some of that load will transfer elsewhere. The amount of load, or torque, is a function of engine RPM, so lower RPM will have less. If it's really bad then you may want to check things like motor mounts, but vibration is expected. When the engine is warm, if you hold the brake and tap the gas a little, you should feel similar.
Old 11-09-16, 10:59 AM
Colorwind
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys!
Old 11-11-16, 11:40 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

This has always been what I think was the culprit for the lunge forward problem that people were trying to sue Toyota/Lexus over after the WOT incident. People kept complaining about their car wanting to lunge forward while they were holding the brakes.

It's normal (while the engine is cold).