Drove Short Distance With Park Brake Engaged

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-16, 12:39 AM
Taz68
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Drove Short Distance With Park Brake Engaged

Hello all!
I've owned my '14 GS Luxury for about 3 months. Currently has just under 10k miles.

The car's park brake has been in Auto since I got the car. 2 nights ago while at a stop light, I manually pressed on the park brake switch to try to create a poor man's "Hold" function. When the light changed, I pressed on it again to disengage it. It wouldn't release. After pressing it several times, I finally had to start moving because I was in traffic. The car pulled away fine but I could definitely feel the drag along with the Park Brake warning chiming at me. I pulled off into the nearest parking lot and stopped the car.

The car was driven less than 1/4 mile with the brake on and I never went over 40mph.

It was then that I discovered that I have to PULL on the switch instead of pushing it to release the brake. I went outside and could smell a faint burning odor of hot brakes. Since then, the car drives and stops just fine. I tested the park brake on an incline with the transmission in neutral and it holds and releases fine. I will say that I felt like a total and complete idiot.

Anyway: Is it possible that I damaged any parts by driving with the park brake on? Is there any reason to have the rear brake and wheel area checked?
Thank you for any thoughts on this.
Erik
Old 11-04-16, 04:30 AM
Nasrul3698
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Naah wouldn't cause any major problems, its like driving a car with the manual handbrake pulled. It would just decrease the rear brake pads life. After every hard driving I do, i'll smell that faint burning odour from outside so yeah. Definitely no problem!! Have fun with your new GS Sir
Old 11-04-16, 04:43 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts

Yeah, no big deal. I grew up in Ireland, and everyone drove stick shift cars. I think we all drove off with the handbrake on at some point. As stated above, all it does is put a little extra wear on your brake pads, and, back in the days before warning lights/buzzers, you would start noticing a burning brakes smell after a while
Old 11-04-16, 06:43 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

Yes, but with manual handbrake, depending on how hard you have it yanked and the condition of your handbrake, the car could easily roll or not roll.

With electronic handbrake, the electric actuator grabs much harder. I'm surprised you were able to move. Are you sure you didn't create any flat spots on your rear tires?
Old 11-04-16, 07:43 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by er34
Yes, but with manual handbrake, depending on how hard you have it yanked and the condition of your handbrake, the car could easily roll or not roll.

With electronic handbrake, the electric actuator grabs much harder. I'm surprised you were able to move. Are you sure you didn't create any flat spots on your rear tires?
Since the OP is from Arizona, he/she probably has a RWD car therefore the car wouldn't have moved at all from your statement.

Your car should be fine but if it makes you feel better, you should get it checked.
Old 11-04-16, 09:42 AM
er34
Instructor

Talking

Originally Posted by dchar
Since the OP is from Arizona, he/she probably has a RWD car therefore the car wouldn't have moved at all from your statement.

Your car should be fine but if it makes you feel better, you should get it checked.
You're right, I didn't consider the RWD model at all since everything in the great white north is AWD
Old 11-04-16, 12:34 PM
Taz68
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to all for your input! Yes, the car is RWD.

I'm pretty sure I don't have any flat spots on my rear tires. I looked them over pretty carefully and couldn't find any abnormalities. I'm not able to detect any vibrations or thumps associated with flat spots.

I bring the car in for the 6 month maintenance check in Jan. I'll probably just ask them to look closely at the rear break pads and discs then.

BTW: Anyone know if the GS uses a separate drum for the Park Brake or does it simply engage the rear pads and discs?

Erik
Old 11-04-16, 02:27 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your car should be fine it was only engaged for a few nothing really to worry about. I think the GS uses the pads and discs not sure though.
Old 11-04-16, 05:29 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by Taz68
BTW: Anyone know if the GS uses a separate drum for the Park Brake or does it simply engage the rear pads and discs?

Erik
The electronically activated emergency brake uses the rear disc brake pads/rotor. The emergency brake does not engage the caliper at absolute full force, so locking-up the rear wheel against the power of the engine in-gear would be unlikely. Therefore, driving with the emergency brake engaged would be the same as driving while moderately (to some degree) riding [only] the rear brakes for the ¼ mile or so you drove at 40 mph or less. This would not have damaged the rotors or the brake pads - nor produced any more wear than [say] driving 5 miles in normal stop-and-go city traffic, which is a very tiny, minuscule amount of wear.
Old 11-04-16, 06:27 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

BTW your car does have a brake hold feature built in. Just depress the brake pedal ALL the way done until it beeps and a light in the dash displays. It releases when you hit the gas or about 10 seconds.
Old 11-04-16, 09:10 PM
er34
Instructor

Originally Posted by jkeller
BTW your car does have a brake hold feature built in. Just depress the brake pedal ALL the way done until it beeps and a light in the dash displays. It releases when you hit the gas or about 10 seconds.
That's the hill-start assist feature, on my '13, it only works for 2s. Not sure if it was changed in later years.
Old 11-05-16, 12:15 AM
Taz68
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate all of the input. You all are helping to put me at ease over the situation.

I'm pretty sure that my car doesn't have an actual "Hold" function. My 2 previous vehicles had this and I'm kind of missing it.

Oh well. I guess it's no big deal to keep my foot on the brake at stoplights. Serious first world problems!
Erik
Old 11-05-16, 09:14 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by Taz68
I appreciate all of the input. You all are helping to put me at ease over the situation.

I'm pretty sure that my car doesn't have an actual "Hold" function. My 2 previous vehicles had this and I'm kind of missing it.

Oh well. I guess it's no big deal to keep my foot on the brake at stoplights. Serious first world problems!
Erik

Come to a full stop, and press VERY hard (literally) on the brake pedal until you see the Hill Assist icon appear in the instrument display.

Removing your foot completely off the brake pedal will disable the Hill Assist feature within a few seconds, or pressing on the gas pedal will disable the feature also. Continuing to apply a moderate amount of pressure on the brake pedal will retain the Hill Assist feature.

Personally, I do not see the value of this feature. Using the Hill Assist feature is more effort and trouble than just applying a little pressure to the brake pedal. It's not like the car has straight drive and three pedals to coordinate...
Old 11-07-16, 04:32 AM
jucytec
Rookie

You could have warped the rotors, but you would've noticed by now.