GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Sound Generator Disable

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-18, 11:49 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by Barkley45
update; I hear the difference now. Ive been driving around without the sound generator now and now I noticed that my daily commute is a lot more peaceful, and i can actually enjoy some tunes at a lower volume setting.
You must be driving with a relentless heavy foot all the time to hear the sound generator that often.
Old 12-14-18, 06:05 AM
PilotX
Driver

Received 73 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Sound Generator Enable

If you remove the sound generator it gets louder. Damnit it is louder now.
Old 12-14-18, 06:25 AM
shrinkwrap
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Not sure if it's the pitch more than the volume, but I find it to be much more pleasant without.
Old 12-16-18, 01:40 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 406 Posts

First, I would say that I don't think the factory setup is a fake sound. It's just letting the actual sound from the engine's intake be heard, still, people may not like it.

There are a few ways to get rid of the sound generator.

Cheapest: Just us a cap.
Use the cheap resonator from the RX350 (17893-31170 or 0P150).
Use the 2GR intake pipe without the sound generator (17881-31350).

To each their own, I like the sound, but if you want it to be quieter, I can see getting rid of it.

Jeff
Old 12-16-18, 03:58 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 945 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
First, I would say that I don't think the factory setup is a fake sound. It's just letting the actual sound from the engine's intake be heard, still, people may not like it.
Jeff
At least it's not sound generated through the speakers like some other cars... that would drive me nuts!
The following users liked this post:
Jeff Lange (12-28-18)
Old 12-21-18, 08:19 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 887 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasDave
Yep, I totally agree. It would be almost impossible for me to put the sound generator back on, now that I am used to the lack of noise. You now hear the engine RPM, transmission whirring and even the exhaust note. I totally realize this is just my opinion, but it's much MUCH better. Now there's no "big production" (regarding the noise level) when you get on the gas heavy, just smooth acceleration with some mild associated noises. Now when I "get on the gas" my passenger(s) know it because of the feeling of acceleration...not because of the noise they hear. The PERCEPTION is that the car seems faster - Lord knows it is NOT so save your comments, LOL!
I completely agree with everything you've mentioned, especially the lack of "big production" and this is the part that I'm enjoying most. Yes, it definitely seems faster and more effortless without the added drama from the sound.

Originally Posted by chinee

I’ve been driving like a grandpa, breaking in my 2018 and trying to maximize MPGs. Now that it’s been more than a month, I’ve been goosing the pedal a little more and I’ve found the drone to be a little out of place... not enjoying the sound, but I can get used to it.

For $10 I’m certainly going to order the RX cap and see how that works...

Thanks!

Agreed! The drone is noticeably improved, I'd say.

Originally Posted by terrryz
Here's the picture after installation. Partial throttle at 1.5-2.5k rpm would no longer induce drone, and overall the volume is a bit lower. For the price and ease of installation I would say it's totally worth it.
Agreed!

I actually called my Lexus dealer and although it was not in stock, they were able to get it delivered in 2 days. Paid $16.xx.

If you want the quiet, call your parts department, and cross your fingers.
Same experience here. Have an RX350 VIN ready to go in case they ask you for it to make sure the part you're buying is for the right car. I wasn't expecting this while on the phone and super quickly pulled the first one I saw from a used RX on cars.com haha. Was super slick about it.

Originally Posted by rj4510

could it be the cold weather and how that impacts intake, mapping etc.? I don’t drive around with my hair on fire, but the difference is substantial. I kinda wish it was even quieter at full throttle those times when I do need it. Not a huge fan of the V6 note. Now my 2GS’ V8 note...just starting that car sounded cool.

Agreed! I felt like the difference was more noticeable than mentioned throughout this thread but wasn't sure what to expect. Very glad about this as I was worried it wouldn't do much.

Originally Posted by Barkley45
update; I hear the difference now. Ive been driving around without the sound generator now and now I noticed that my daily commute is a lot more peaceful, and i can actually enjoy some tunes at a lower volume setting.
Big agree on this. Way more pleasant and peaceful and I too was able to lower the volume a bit. I'm anywhere from 10-15 whereas before I was around 25-30. Big difference here.

I stepped on it from the on ramp while getting on to the highway a couple days ago and I didn't hear the expected engine acceleration, so much so that I pressed the pedal even harder and hit the WOT/kick down mode. Then I remembered that it's not supposed to be as loud with the sound generator gone... I guess I've not fully adjusted yet, and I'm still subconsciously expecting the past sensory inputs that have always been there, so I have to say that the cabin is definitely quieter, and I like it!
Completely agree. I've found it a lot harder to judge my speed now. Will take some getting used to as I find myself going much quicker than I thought I was (which this car is very good at doing even with the sound generator).

Originally Posted by bclexus
You must be driving with a relentless heavy foot all the time to hear the sound generator that often.
Disagree. While it's effects are increased at higher RPMs, it is noticeably quieter now at all times and throttle positions, imo.

Originally Posted by PilotX
If you remove the sound generator it gets louder. Damnit it is louder now.
Are you in the wrong thread?

Originally Posted by shrinkwrap
Not sure if it's the pitch more than the volume, but I find it to be much more pleasant without.
Agreed!

Here are a couple short videos with the sound generator removed. There's a full-throttle pull towards the end of the first vid.

I'm not sure how helpful this will be since this is an older video I've had and it was recorded with a different cam/mic but hopefully this gives you a feel for the difference in sound at least (though the first two videos are recorded with much better audio quality but I tried haha)

Video #3: https://streamable.com/s/kl9fy/nyisuh

Last edited by signdetres; 12-21-18 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-22-18, 01:28 PM
Barkley45
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the update and videos Signdetres.
Old 12-23-18, 07:14 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

The proof is in the pudding as they say. The wife used to get all bent out of shape if that bark-box made any noise, thinking I’m hammering around. It was just a sound that would quickly annoy her. With bark-box removed, even in sport mode the car is pulling way harder than it was before and she continues texting away on her phone, looking around, whatever...unless I truly hammer it, she won’t even looked up! Serenity in more ways than one! 8D
Old 12-23-18, 07:41 AM
rmes350F
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=rj4510;10391826]
The proof is in the pudding as they say. The wife used to get all bent out of shape if that bark-box made any noise, thinking I’m hammering around. It was just a sound that would quickly annoy her. With bark-box removed, even in sport mode the car is pulling way harder than it was before and she continues texting away on her phone, looking around, whatever...unless I truly hammer it, she won’t even looked up! Serenity in more ways than one! 8D
[/QUOTE

When you say pulling way harder than it was before, what do you mean? more HP

Old 12-23-18, 09:38 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 887 Likes on 508 Posts

[QUOTE=mudduck115;10391842]
[/QUOTE

He means in relation to the noise. Whereas with the sound generator, a little bit of acceleration = a lot of noise which alerts the passengers in the car to the driver's intentions to speed up. Without the noise generator, a little bit of acceleration ≠ a lot of noise (the sound is more muted) which means you're a little bit more incognito with your acceleration before the engine sound gives it away.
rmes350F (12-23-18)
Old 12-23-18, 09:38 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Originally Posted by mudduck115
I think it's safe to say that what he meant was - he could 'get on it' harder (use more throttle) than before when he had the sound generator and his wife is now not bothered like she had been before even when using less throttle.

Removing the sound generator makes absolutely zero (e.g. ZILCH) difference in performance.
Old 12-23-18, 11:05 AM
rmes350F
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's safe to say that what he meant was - he could 'get on it' harder (use more throttle) than before when he had the sound generator and his wife is now not bothered like she had been before even when using less throttle.

Removing the sound generator makes absolutely zero (e.g. ZILCH) difference in performance.

Gotcha
Thanks
Old 12-23-18, 06:06 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

That’s correct
Old 12-24-18, 04:53 AM
Chaos236
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I put the RX one and it's quieter. Coming from a LS however you will not reach that level of quiet...
Old 12-24-18, 11:44 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts

Removing the Sound Generator is fine. In fact many Lexus FSport intakes use a pipe that removes the sound generator. I would probably recommend a good aftermarket intake tho.
signdetres (12-25-18)

Quick Reply: Sound Generator Disable