GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Sound Generator Disable

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-16, 05:51 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Might have a solution for you there too. I've been doing a lot of research into this, and I think one reason why these cars sound poor at idle is the very thin 0W20 oil. I'm considering trying something thicker (my LS has the same idle noise, albeit not as loud as the GS)
I'm really interested to see what you find out!
Old 12-09-16, 06:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,762 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasDave
I'm really interested to see what you find out!
You and me both!

There are more than a few people that have said a lot of the idle chatter, etc is greatly diminished with going to say a 0W30...
Old 12-09-16, 06:39 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 487 Likes on 322 Posts

Quite a loud car the 4GS, but that's the way new head Aikio Toyoda wanted it.

Old 12-09-16, 07:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,762 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
^ Killer exhaust note on the GS (3:01), blows that Hyundai (2:45) away.

I think the engine sound being discussed by DallasDave and SW15LS above is the idle sound from under the hood, not the exhaust note or WOT sound, which IMO are awesome on the GS, makes the Hyundai sound cheap and wind-up toy-ish.
Absolutely, totally different. The GS sounds great at WOT I agree.
Old 12-10-16, 07:33 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Yep, I have no problem with the way my GS sounds while cruising or at WOT. Just that irritating noisy idle. It really takes away from an otherwise wonderful car.
Old 12-23-16, 06:19 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Interesting.....the noise generator is some sort of a resonator box that activates when enough vacuum is applied to it ???? maybe just engineer a way to reduce the vacuum but leave it plugged in ?
Old 12-24-16, 07:28 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
Interesting.....the noise generator is some sort of a resonator box that activates when enough vacuum is applied to it ???? maybe just engineer a way to reduce the vacuum but leave it plugged in ?
You may have a good idea, but I don't know how easy it would be to actually accomplish. Yes, the resonator activates when vacuum is high...so I guess a restriction plate of some kind would work. I found it easier to just remove it all together.
Old 12-24-16, 03:23 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Did you end up installing a K&N Intake?
Did disabling the sound generator make any difference to the idle noise at all?
I would have thought the sound generator made a big difference only on full throttle, or only on wide throttle openings.

At idle, and in particular around town, I think upping the oil viscosity may work, but I haven't tested it out myself, though higher oil viscosities increase fuel consumption.
Old 12-24-16, 03:40 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Did you end up installing a K&N Intake?
Did disabling the sound generator make any difference to the idle noise at all?
I would have thought the sound generator made a big difference only on full throttle, or only on wide throttle openings.

At idle, and in particular around town, I think upping the oil viscosity may work, but I haven't tested it out myself, though higher oil viscosities increase fuel consumption.
Yes Sir, I installed the K&N intake tube. Using my stock air box with a K&N filter element.

As far as idle noise, nah not really. Maybe a very small difference or it could have been my imagination. As far as using a thicker oil, I was under the impression that the idle noise was primarily due to fuel injectors (direct injection specifically). So as much as I am hopeful that using a different oil will make a difference, I just don't see that happening. If it DOES work, I'll happily sacrifice a few MPG to get a little relief (from all the idle chatter).

Last edited by DallasDave; 07-24-17 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-24-16, 07:46 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Rather than the original 5W 30, I used Mobil 5W 50 on old 2010 GS350, and the engine "revs" more smoothly, at the cost of fuel economy.

I haven't tried using a higher viscosity oil on new GS350 yet, but I imagine new GS will rev more smoothly too.
Old 07-24-17, 01:07 PM
MisterQ
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Ahhhh, I threw out the receipt and trash day was yesterday. Perhaps these pictures will help:

The required outside diameter is ~1.75". The metal coupler I used fits very tight, maybe even too tight. I used a light coating of oil and managed to seat it properly. You cannot tell by the photos, but it's probably 3.5" long, so it is seated almost half way. I could not find a PVC pipe/coupler that had the correct outside diameter, so that's why I settled for the metal one. I put teflon tape on the PVC cap and screwed it in completely (definitely air-tight).

Both were less than $5. Definitely a cheap way to delete the sound generator - although I am trolling the classifieds and eBay looking for a used K&N intake tube.

It would be almost impossible for me to put the sound generator back on, now that I am used to the lack of noise. You now hear the engine RPM, transmission whirring and even the exhaust note. I totally realize this is just my opinion, but it's much MUCH better. Now there's no "big production" (regarding the noise level) when you get on the gas heavily, just smooth acceleration with some mild associated noises. I am going for the luxury "feel", so I mean no disrespect to you F Sport owners that appreciate the sounds/noises of your cars. Now when I get "on the gas" my passengers know it because of the feeling of acceleration...not because of the noise they hear.

The perception is that the car actually seems faster - Lord knows it is NOT so save your comments, LOL!
Thanks for this post.
I got my new RX 350 F-Sport about 3 weeks ago, I like everything about it except for the sound generator, at low speed it makes the engine sounds like a budget 4-cyl car and it's driving me nuts. The only reason I bought the F-Sport model is because I really like the honeycomb grille, not because of the "sport" features. I totally agree with you, I bought a Lexus for the luxury feel, comfort and quiet ride, this added sound generator is the dumbest idea Lexus engineers came up with.
I'm going to try your solution on my RX and hopefully I can get rid of the annoying cheap engine sound.
Old 07-24-17, 04:50 PM
2Squared
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Install a catback exhaust, when you give it the throttle the sound generator is drowned out by the exhaust.
Old 08-03-18, 12:18 PM
ntu3012014
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn't find a rubber cap to fit properly. Plus, I was a little concerned about the engine heat (the sound generator area is right above a cylinder head) and the soft rubber.

I saw a cap, from an RX thread-- https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...t-f-sport.html.
Can that 2017 RX cap be applied on 4th GS to disable/remove the sound generator? Anyone ever tried before? Or comments? (https://www.lexuspartsdirect.ca/p/Le...78930P150.html)
Old 08-03-18, 12:21 PM
ntu3012014
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are the pictures of the cap, from that thread-- https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...t-f-sport.html
Old 08-03-18, 03:18 PM
bob256k
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 206 Posts
Unhappy

Ahhhh, I threw out the receipt and trash day was yesterday. Perhaps these pictures will help:

The required outside diameter is ~1.75". The metal coupler I used fits very tight, maybe even too tight. I used a light coating of oil and managed to seat it properly. You cannot tell by the photos, but it's probably 3.5" long, so it is seated almost half way. I could not find a PVC pipe/coupler that had the correct outside diameter, so that's why I settled for the metal one. I put teflon tape on the PVC cap and screwed it in completely (definitely air-tight).

Both were less than $5. Definitely a cheap way to delete the sound generator - although I am trolling the classifieds and eBay looking for a used K&N intake tube.

It would be almost impossible for me to put the sound generator back on, now that I am used to the lack of noise. You now hear the engine RPM, transmission whirring and even the exhaust note. I totally realize this is just my opinion, but it's much MUCH better. Now there's no "big production" (regarding the noise level) when you get on the gas heavily, just smooth acceleration with some mild associated noises. I am going for the luxury "feel", so I mean no disrespect to you F Sport owners that appreciate the sounds/noises of your cars. Now when I get "on the gas" my passengers know it because of the feeling of acceleration...not because of the noise they hear.

The perception is that the car actually seems faster - Lord knows it is NOT so save your comments, LOL!

I may just do this do so i can drive faster in the car with the wife; i swear the car makes any noise at all and its " your going to break the engine! "

Quick Reply: Sound Generator Disable