Sound Generator Disable

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-16, 08:56 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by leg3ndary
But why???
Because I purchased the Lexus "Luxury" packaged car and am looking for a smooth and quiet ride. Plus, I did not like the artificial sound created under heavy throttle loads. As I mentioned before, I felt that my car made more "noise" accelerating than actual acceleration thrust/feel.

I have since purchased the K&N intake tube (used from a forum member) and am happy with the results. The car is definitely quieter under load. Now you just "feel" the thrust, instead of "hearing about it".
Old 12-04-16, 09:02 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Will be interesting to see if the K&N makes your GS quieter, but harsher, because one of the main reasons why the GS has a sound generator, while BMW 3 Series etc use speakers is to make an artificial noise to hide the harshness of the big 3.5L V6, and the harshness of the small capacity four cylinder turbo engines.
That's a good point, but I don't think is harsher at all. As a matter of fact, I think it's the opposite. Could the fact that the K&N tube is heavy gauge metal and the OEM is thin plastic, actually made the car quieter overall? It's a VERY small difference, but I'd swear that's the case.
Old 12-05-16, 06:49 AM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasDave
That's a good point, but I don't think is harsher at all. As a matter of fact, I think it's the opposite. Could the fact that the K&N tube is heavy gauge metal and the OEM is thin plastic, actually made the car quieter overall? It's a VERY small difference, but I'd swear that's the case.
It's possible, along with the smoothness and slight variation in shape. It would be a small difference though. Make a horn instrument from different metal and it will sound different.
Old 12-05-16, 08:02 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

This is your solution:

Old 12-05-16, 08:29 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Unhappy

Originally Posted by er34
This is your solution:

That certainly seems to be the only solution for the idling noises
The following 2 users liked this post by DallasDave:
boostinsc (08-25-18), psinsyd (04-12-18)
Old 12-05-16, 09:22 AM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Because I purchased the Lexus "Luxury" packaged car and am looking for a smooth and quiet ride. Plus, I did not like the artificial sound created under heavy throttle loads. As I mentioned before, I felt that my car made more "noise" accelerating than actual acceleration thrust/feel.
You are not alone. I agree 100%
Old 12-05-16, 10:08 AM
Patrick4GS
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't mind the sound but it does seem a little aggressive for the speed my car isn't really going.

I find it funny that Lexus took the time to engineer this into the intake and quite a few people are spending real money to take it right back out.
Old 12-05-16, 10:51 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick4GS
I don't mind the sound but it does seem a little aggressive for the speed my car isn't really going.

I find it funny that Lexus took the time to engineer this into the intake and quite a few people are spending real money to take it right back out.
It's human nature... People always want things they don't have.

If they didn't put in the sound generator, there will be people that would say the car doesn't have any "sporty" characteristics and get bolt-on's to make it more aggressive sounding.
Old 12-05-16, 01:12 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

After driving the GX for 2 years, then the ES for 3 months...I was pleasantly surprised when I hopped back in the GS. The minute I started the engine in the dealer delivery bay.....pure joy. Love the car, and the sound. To each their own.
Old 12-05-16, 02:43 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

+1 for "to each his own". If I had the F Sport version...the sound generator would definitely stay. Regarding "People always want things they don't have" doesn't apply to me. Logically there should be a sound generator for the Sport model (the air box is different after-all) and have it omitted for the standard and/or luxury packaged cars.

I totally agree with Patrick4GS, "I don't mind the sound but it does seem a little aggressive for the speed my car isn't really going." Since I couldn't make my car go faster, I opted to make it quieter (lol).
Old 12-05-16, 05:37 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had no idea there was a sound generator on the GS
Old 12-05-16, 06:59 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

+1 for "to each his own". If I had the F Sport version...the sound generator would definitely stay. Regarding "People always want things they don't have" doesn't apply to me. Logically there should be a sound generator for the Sport model (the air box is different after-all) and have it omitted for the standard and/or luxury packaged cars.

I totally agree with Patrick4GS, "I don't mind the sound but it does seem a little aggressive for the speed my car isn't really going." Since I couldn't make my car go faster, I opted to make it quieter (lol).
Ha, that cracks me up (emphasis added by me).

I have the luxury package and still like the sound generator. At least it's a mechanical system, call me picky, but if it were a speaker I'd think it's stupid. Engines are big, powerful air pumps and are noisy. I enjoy some of that noise.

But I totally get the point that some folks want the style & performance of the car with an ES decibel level. You may be in the market for a Tesla or similar someday.
Old 12-05-16, 07:21 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Perhaps I am attempting to emulate what I had in the past. Either way it's the little "tweaks" that make me feel more connected to my "ride" regardless of what it is.

Last edited by DallasDave; 12-07-16 at 06:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ceegee (08-23-20)
Old 12-06-16, 07:42 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Perhaps I am attempting to emulate what I had in the past. Either way it's the little "tweaks" that make me feel more connected to my "ride" regardless of that it is.
+1 to that! A little personalization can go a long way.
Old 12-08-16, 07:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

That certainly seems to be the only solution for the idling noises
Might have a solution for you there too. I've been doing a lot of research into this, and I think one reason why these cars sound poor at idle is the very thin 0W20 oil. I'm considering trying something thicker (my LS has the same idle noise, albeit not as loud as the GS)

Quick Reply: Sound Generator Disable