GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Anybody here experience the popping sound from the roof ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-16, 08:12 AM
tejanp
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Anybody here experience the popping sound from the roof ?

When approaching certain bumps or dips? My driveway is very awkward and has a high curb on approach which causes a pop / rattle sound from the roof occasionally. I have had lexus look at it but they couldn't replicate the problem. Is this common?
Old 09-30-16, 08:32 AM
homeboyv
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a problem with the sunroof and Lexus knows about it, have the tech look into the issues under investigation by Lexus. I for one was getting knocking noises that sounded like they were coming from the suspension. The dealership replaced a bunch of suspensions parts which didn't fix the issue. During a road test with the tech, he raised the sunroof which to my amazement stopped the noise, he said that he saw that there was a roof noise under investigation by Lexus. They had my car for like a month and 3 Lexus techs flew out from California and took a bunch of measurements and what not. They ended up replacing the whole sunroof assembly which fixed the issue but the noise came back a couple weeks later. Took it in again and they said that they needed to install some insulation and had it for another 2 weeks which fixed the issue.
Old 09-30-16, 08:48 AM
tejanp
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by homeboyv
There is a problem with the sunroof and Lexus knows about it, have the tech look into the issues under investigation by Lexus. I for one was getting knocking noises that sounded like they were coming from the suspension. The dealership replaced a bunch of suspensions parts which didn't fix the issue. During a road test with the tech, he raised the sunroof which to my amazement stopped the noise, he said that he saw that there was a roof noise under investigation by Lexus. They had my car for like a month and 3 Lexus techs flew out from California and took a bunch of measurements and what not. They ended up replacing the whole sunroof assembly which fixed the issue but the noise came back a couple weeks later. Took it in again and they said that they needed to install some insulation and had it for another 2 weeks which fixed the issue.
Thank you for the update, this looks like it will be an uphill battle with my dealer. I wonder if i have something in print, they would be more obliged to fix it. I did a google search and came up with this KBB:

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=175340
Old 10-03-16, 08:17 AM
nnguyen04
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does this happen to 2014 too? i too have a knocking noise over speed bumps but its random
The following users liked this post:
Nruiz95 (05-13-19)
Old 10-03-16, 09:39 AM
Lexus1998
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had it on my 2013 GS, it only occurred once and let me tell you it was loud. It was loud enough that I got out of the car as I though like a brick fell on the roof as I was pulling into a building, but figured it was because I was on incline and at time car was brand new so though it was probably flexing.
However never happened again, but I can swear once I saw on here that there was TSB for it.
Old 10-05-16, 09:53 PM
johnphan79
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi All,

My 2013 GS 350 F Sport also having the same pop noise coming to the roof area when goes over dip, or oddly uneven street.

After many report to Van Nuys Keyes Lexus dealer and they're kept car there for days... and still can't fix it. horri

Finally, about 2 month ago... i took it to Thousand Oaks dealer and Master Tech the got it fixed. According to the service writer... they're removed the head liner and replaced sunroof rail. Everything seems to be okay since.............. 'til....... a week ago.

Wifey's came home and told me the noise is BACK. I was like WTPHO!!!! Not again.... ??

well... look like i will be heading back to the dealer in a few week.

I think Lexus should use some kinda "locktite glue" to keep them screw tight.

Btw.. I'm tired of issues on my GS Lexus can't fix. I'm looking to make a switch...

Please share your story if possible.
Old 10-06-16, 08:24 AM
nhartley
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus tsib for roof "pop"

IM HAVING THIS ISSUE TOO. SEEMS TO ONLY BE WHEN TURNING UP AN INCLINE INTO A DRIVEWAY OR PARKING LOT...

WAITING TO SEE IF LEXUS WILL DO A GOODWILL WARRANTY REPAIR...

TSIB:
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=175340
Old 10-06-16, 10:22 AM
shess
Driver School Candidate

Default Sounds in roof

Hello, I had the popping in roof and took it to the dealership with the knowledge that there was a technical bulletin already documented (sorry I don't have a link for that) for the issue and the dealership was able to reproduce the issue and implemented the fix in the sunroof track as described in the technical bulletin. This fixed the popping however a few months later there is now a rattle in the roof when going over a bumpy surface. The dealership says it is not related to the previous issue or fix and therefore I would be charged for the labor (no longer under warranty, estimate minimum of $700 to remove roof panel and investigate) and any parts necessary to fix the noise. I can't seem to justify the cost to fix a sound.
Old 10-06-16, 11:46 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

That only applies to the 2013 model?? I had a rather loud pop from what sounded like roof on my 2016. Doesn't seem that they have fixed the issue.

I'm not taking my car in for that. It's only happened once, and I'd be worried they would damage the headliner or cause leaks from the sunroof.
Old 07-01-18, 01:32 PM
Rmstofko
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation Roof noise

Just bought a 2013 GS 350 F Sport from a used car dealer with 47k miles. After driving the car for a few days I'm now hearing a rattle, banging noise from my sunroof when it is closed. I just saw all of the posts that this seems to be an issue with this 2013 GS model. Taking to my local Lexus dealer this week for what I hope is a quick fix. Any advise on how to get Lexus to fix what looks like a defect issue
Old 07-01-18, 01:40 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

There was a ► TSBissued for the problem with certain VIN numbers, but your car won't qualify because of its age/mileage.
Old 07-01-18, 02:25 PM
uibalnme
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts
Default You’re welcome.