GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

How to fix curb rash and touch-up Lexus F Sport wheels for $15!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-17, 09:06 AM
FrOHiKE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing! I'm going to repair my wheel today using the method outlined by E46CT. I'll be sure to post progress pics!
Old 02-25-17, 02:10 PM
Wincer94
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by FrOHiKE
Thanks for sharing! I'm going to repair my wheel today using the method outlined by E46CT. I'll be sure to post progress pics!
Make sure you sand the curb rash well before spraying.
Old 03-26-17, 09:22 AM
kitra
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2014 GS-350 had curb rash from the previous owner. A local wheel repair company refinished the wheels for Lexus to list the car for sale (CPO). Now I see the paint is peeling off at least one of the wheels. They don't want to warranty the repainted wheels so I'm going to need to paint them. Anyone know the color code for my 2014 F-Sport? It may not need to be too close since the color under the peeled paint is much lighter. I bet I'll have to do all 4 to get a match.
Old 03-26-17, 09:59 AM
Spideyman1
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I did this last week, used a dremel tool with a small sanding wheel to smooth out the raised alloy (had a nasty one) used the tube bondo filler, sanded, painted. Looks 95% better. If you really focus on the wheel, you can see where the repaint was, but it was brushed on, so it is expected, great, low cost fix! Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-22-17, 10:01 AM
FLBuckeye1
Driver School Candidate

Hi, All. Resurrecting this one. Does anyone know the paint color for the silver accents on the 16+ F-Sport wheels? Tired of paying the dealer $135 for repair.
Old 07-06-17, 10:36 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,571 Posts

What silver accents?
Old 07-06-17, 10:37 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Spideyman1
I did this last week, used a dremel tool with a small sanding wheel to smooth out the raised alloy (had a nasty one) used the tube bondo filler, sanded, painted. Looks 95% better. If you really focus on the wheel, you can see where the repaint was, but it was brushed on, so it is expected, great, low cost fix! Thanks for sharing!
Yep thanks! Definitely a cheap quick fix. If you return your car for lease or something, it'll pass unless you're right up on it staring. If you curb your wheels from time to time (rare for me but it happens) then it sure beats having the wheel fixed for $100 each time.
Old 07-06-17, 10:47 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
What silver accents?
I believe this is what FLBuckeye1 is referring to:

Old 07-08-17, 01:21 PM
FLBuckeye1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDR76
I believe this is what FLBuckeye1 is referring to:

Correct -- silver areas on the spokes as well as around the outside perimeter. At first I thought they were just polished but after attempting a repair on a small spot on my own (including sanding and polishing) I realized they are painted.
Old 07-15-17, 08:40 AM
ratobuza
Rookie

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
I posted this over on 3IS and saw some people here posting about how they were looking for a good option for touch up paint on their GS wheels. I think your wheels have the same color as 3IS wheels. My brother just got a used 4GS and has curb rash. I will help him with his. Well I hope this helps you guys on your 4GS.

I curbed my IS200t's F-Sport wheels.

The rash was relatively minor so decided to fix myself. The parts are less than $15

Here's what I purchased:

Sandpaper kit: http://amzn.to/2cvIXWK
Perfect match F-Sport wheel paint with applicator and clear coat: http://amzn.to/2cQmJ1l
Glazing putty: http://amzn.to/2cG5Q4j

Here is what I did to the wheel

Start by using painters tape and expose only the area you are working with so you don't accidentally scratch or sand the good paint. Then using a q-tip or similar tool, apply the glazing putty over the affected area. try to be as smooth and even with the wheel as possible so you don't have to sand excessively. Let sit 15-30 minutes

Then take your sandpaper (i used 200 grit) and fold it into a small square. And slowly sand down smooth the hardened putty. Don't be afraid of scratching/scuffing the surrounding paint between the curb rash. do the whole area. After you are done, you can apply more putty and repeat the process. I decided I didn't need the wheel to look absolutely perfect. Just good enough. Then shake up your phantom gray pearl paint and apply it over the putty smoothly. Let dry then apply clear!

This is the paint I used.

And the finished product. I could've spent more time on it and sanded it down more and smoothed the paint out before applying clear. But I don't have time for it and it's good enough for me. It looks WAY better than before. And from normal viewing distance you can't tell. You have to go up close. I actually had to look very closely and squint to find the damage so i could take a picture. The touch up paint is a perfect match. Keep a spare in your glove box to touch up nicks and curb rash. You don't even need to putty the curb rash if you want, just paint over it so it's not noticeable!

Enjoy!
Thanks for sharing that looks great and sounds like an easy and inexpensive fix

Ratobuza
Old 09-03-17, 11:29 AM
dul311
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Barkley45
I posted these in the "what did you do to your GS today" post, but just in case someone isnt interested in that post and is specifically looking at curb rash repair results, here are mine. I could have spent more time doing a better job of sanding, but im ok with the results.

Hello, what paint color did you use? I purchased the 1E3 paint code but it was significantly darker than the wheel color.
Old 09-17-17, 11:27 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

^ thanks for the contribution. It looks way better than before.
Old 09-17-17, 07:20 PM
Nimimi
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

How does one find out the color of the wheels in order to order it for the repair?
Old 03-22-18, 11:51 AM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 239 Likes on 143 Posts

doing this in a couple days after my mom curbed my car at dunkin
Old 03-22-18, 03:28 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Nimimi
How does one find out the color of the wheels in order to order it for the repair?
It is almost impossible to find the color for Lexus wheels, I tried, nobody seems to know other then a generic light silver. You can try a color matching chart, I even contacted OZ, the maker of L tuned wheels for my GS and they did not even know the paint code/exact color of their own wheels.

Quick Reply: How to fix curb rash and touch-up Lexus F Sport wheels for $15!