GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Akebono vs Centric vs Brembo vs Stoptech - Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-17, 08:44 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

I also echo some of those who replaced their pads with Akebono on ther RWD F-Sport.

1) The initial 'grab' is slightly less than stock but not 'worrisome' less.
2) No squeal..... so far
3) Have no opinion on dusting yet since I just replaced them a few days ago.

I did not replace or turn the rotors. All I did was break the glaze on the rotor with 80 grit sandpaper on both sides and it is quiet so far.
Another observation is the brakes had significantly less braking power the first 10-20 stops (not due to caliper having to take up the gap). I am chalking it up to the pads needing to seat onto the rotors since they were not turned. After the 'seating', braking power is very good now.
Old 01-16-17, 03:21 PM
kamskeez
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Davenlei
I also echo some of those who replaced their pads with Akebono on ther RWD F-Sport.

2) No squeal..... so far

I did not replace or turn the rotors. All I did was break the glaze on the rotor with 80 grit sandpaper on both sides and it is quiet so far.
Another observation is the brakes had significantly less braking power the first 10-20 stops (not due to caliper having to take up the gap). I am chalking it up to the pads needing to seat onto the rotors since they were not turned. After the 'seating', braking power is very good now.
Same experience, after seating the pads they felt great. I did have my rotors turned as well. Extremely happy with the Akebonos!
Old 01-16-17, 09:03 PM
boosteddsm
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW, put Akebono pads and Centric rotors on all 4 on my GS430 recently. Couldn't be happier. That will be my go to combo when it's time on the GS350.
Old 01-17-17, 08:16 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Davenlei

2) No squeal..... so far

Ok. I have had squeaks when cold with this setup. Pretty much the same as when I had stock pads so no better or no worse with squeaks when cold. When warmed up, no squeaks.
Old 01-22-17, 09:44 AM
protocol71
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

okay just an update. I commented earlier in regards to akebono and centric squealing. i used some generic antisqueal compound originally and i guess these were inferior. decided to use the red crc brake quiet stuff you can pick up anywhere and vois la....no more squeal or rattling from the brake pads. im using the centrics by the way. i still have the akebonos in the box and will use those when the centrics wear down.
The following users liked this post:
LatinLS430 (01-22-17)
Old 01-23-17, 12:18 PM
Nasrul3698
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone used EBC Yellowstuff? Wondering if there are any better performing pads other than the EBC.
Old 03-27-17, 03:53 PM
darrylg33
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used Akebono's on various vehicles and I will continue to do so. I have experienced no cold stop performance issues; in fact I find they have excellent cold stopping power and I have paired them with both cheap and expensive name brand rotors.
Old 06-27-18, 05:48 PM
10lexISR6
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorry to being back an old post. I have read every single comment here and need help. Just replaced my nasty dusty OEM pads on my 2015 RC350 for a set of akebonos. The no dust is fantastic but I'm getting a squeal like no other! I've lived everything! And no luck. Question for those who gave replaced pads with aftermarkets, the akebonos come with a shim already on the pad..is anyone using only that or putting the OEM shim ontop of it, or replacing the shim that came with it for only the OEM shim? I've never had an issue with brakes squealing like this before and its ear piercing! Embaressing.. I see some people have had this issue here while other have not. I have not turned my rotors btw. I had lexus do the recall from 2 piece to single piece rotors shortly before I replaced the pads. For the life of me I cant figure out what's going on here! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-27-18, 05:57 PM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by 10lexISR6
Sorry to being back an old post. I have read every single comment here and need help. Just replaced my nasty dusty OEM pads on my 2015 RC350 for a set of akebonos. The no dust is fantastic but I'm getting a squeal like no other! I've lived everything! And no luck. Question for those who gave replaced pads with aftermarkets, the akebonos come with a shim already on the pad..is anyone using only that or putting the OEM shim ontop of it, or replacing the shim that came with it for only the OEM shim? I've never had an issue with brakes squealing like this before and its ear piercing! Embaressing.. I see some people have had this issue here while other have not. I have not turned my rotors btw. I had lexus do the recall from 2 piece to single piece rotors shortly before I replaced the pads. For the life of me I cant figure out what's going on here! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
They squeak in colder temperature and need to warm up a bit. You can put some copper anti-seize on the shims and some other things. Check out ChrisFix's youtube channel on common break squealing fixes. It's a good reminder!
Old 06-27-18, 11:12 PM
Perfekt
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nasrul3698
Anyone used EBC Yellowstuff? Wondering if there are any better performing pads other than the EBC.
I have, but on a 335i, and they were awesome. Yellowstuff is the performance brake pads I have used.

Downside: Dusts like no other. Initial cold braking performance is average until they warm up.

Akebono: Decent performance. Good enough for daily driving, low dust, low noise.
StopTech: Great for daily driving, and light track use. A fair amount of dust, and some squeaking. My go-to pads.
Centric: I thought StopTech and Centric are the same company?
Old 06-28-18, 10:28 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by sarmyth
I have Akebonos on an fsport rwd with the original two piece rotors with about 20k miles on the pads and while the dust is gone, these pads do sequel when cold... It's always the first stop before there's any heat but after that they're silent. Initially very embarrassing as it's always when leaving a parking lot lol, but i stopped caring awhile ago. Performance wise they're certainly not as good as stock; the cold bite is very good, maybe better but If you ever have to go deep into the pedal in a panic stop, it's a huge difference, they just don't have the same stopping power. So a bit of a mixed bag because of the cold behavior but I'd never go back to the stock pads, cleaning rims every 3 days for the birds.
This would scare the **** out of me to the point where I would have ditched those pads. Funny too because I almost bought a set of PRO ACT pads but I was lazy so I just got everything from a local Lexus dealer in one shot... because it meant less
confusion on parts kits etc.

I just put a new set of OEM front pads and rotors on my 2015 AWD GS, and don't regret the decision at all. The obnoxious cold squealing is gone (at least in the first 1000 miles or so, so far), initial pedal engagement bite is not as "aggressive" as the original 2015 OEM pads, but I had to panic slow once in the rain and had absolutely no problem doing it at all, so while the first like 10% of pad engagement isn't as aggressive, if you need to stop, you can still do so pretty easily.

Haven't noticed an abnormal amount of brake dust but then again I have the hyper gray or whatever it is rims that are darker than a lot of the silver rims out there.

One weird thing I noticed was how relatively good shape my rear pads are in. I bought rear pads as well but didn't install them because when I took the wheel off the original pads were still pretty thick and I'm like "this would be a waste to even think about changing these now" with what looks like at least like 70% of the pad material remaining... at 38K.

-Mike

Last edited by drgrant; 06-28-18 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-20-20, 09:11 AM
imKrow
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 10lexISR6
any update on the situation?
The following users liked this post:
ceegee (06-20-20)
Old 06-26-20, 09:28 PM
lexusGS15
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Have had great experience with Akebono's and Centric (had Centric on my older GS430). The Akebono's have great bite - very similar to OEM with low dust.
How much does Akebono brake pads with new rotors FOR REAR wheels costs? I am trying to get an estimate before I go to workshop. Thank you