GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Akebono vs Centric vs Brembo vs Stoptech - Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-17, 03:43 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by maddave
I've had centric, duralast, and now akebono on my gs.. The akebono's are far superior than either the two. Duralast were the worst, centric's were ok but didn't bite as good as the akebonos

+1 I also tried the EBC. Akebono was by far the best. I would assume the people that are having problems with them (Akebono) did NOT "turn" or replace the rotors.
Old 01-02-17, 03:46 PM
protocol71
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

i had 2 pairs of akebono cermamics on brand new oem lexus rotors......squealed the worst out of all the pads i tried. oem pads are the only ones that dont squeal for me. im still using the centrics and they only squeal minor during first few mins until warmed up.
Old 01-02-17, 03:54 PM
2Squared
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

I find the Akebono's to be far superior to the stock pads. Low dust, no squealing, and excellent stopping grip.
Old 01-02-17, 04:31 PM
truthbtold
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I recently replaced my stock pads with Akebono's on my F-Sport and while the initially bite is less aggressive that OEM, brake dust has gone down significantly. The grip is still great and has no squealing on my stock rotors.
Old 01-02-17, 04:34 PM
kamskeez
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasDave
+1 I also tried the EBC. Akebono was by far the best. I would assume the people that are having problems with them (Akebono) did NOT "turn" or replace the rotors.
Agreed, slapping the new pads on without turning the rotors creates tons of excessive noise. I turned mine, zero noise and I'm really happy with them.
Old 01-02-17, 06:31 PM
Barkley45
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

To the folks praising the Akenobo pads, are you referring to these? http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...utoModClar=AWD

Tirerack doesnt rate their stopping power as high as the others.
Old 01-02-17, 07:59 PM
kamskeez
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Barkley45
To the folks praising the Akenobo pads, are you referring to these? http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...utoModClar=AWD

Tirerack doesnt rate their stopping power as high as the others.
Yep, those are the ones. When compared to the factory pads, stopping power is slightly less with the Akebono pads and I'm guessing with other ceramic pads as well. However, I haven't noticed a difference that creates any worry for me.

Some people will swear by pads with the most grab, for safety reasons. But I feel very comfortable with these.
Old 01-03-17, 02:38 PM
fabianmg77
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently replaced my stock pads because of excessive noise upon breaking. First, purchased the Brembo pads and honestly I expected better for a big company. My pads screeched so much that I left my car on jacks for a couple days as the Akebonos that I ordered came in. Now that the Akebonos are in I did get some noise but I know it is because of the break in period, now with 1k miles they only screech when they are cold.
The Akebono offered a better bite, more stopping power, and way less brake dust.
Old 01-04-17, 07:43 AM
TrevorTran
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I recently replaced my OEM pads with Akebono front pads, and they do squeal when cold, but no issues when warmed up.
Question, does the hill park assist only kick in when the car senses it is at an angle? I was wondering because since I replaced the front brake pads, I haven't been able to get the hill park assist to kick in when depressing the brake pedal as far as it can go.
Old 01-04-17, 08:55 AM
2Squared
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by TrevorTran
I recently replaced my OEM pads with Akebono front pads, and they do squeal when cold, but no issues when warmed up.
Question, does the hill park assist only kick in when the car senses it is at an angle? I was wondering because since I replaced the front brake pads, I haven't been able to get the hill park assist to kick in when depressing the brake pedal as far as it can go.
My hill park assist works fine with Akebono pads.
Old 01-06-17, 10:44 PM
kitra
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake Pads.

Of the 4 choices at the start of this thread, does anyone know the pads friction ratings? I'm really curious about Raybestos EHT pads as they have a friction rating of "GG". They are a Ceramic/Metallic pad. I bet they dust a bit and wear the rotors but a "GG" friction rating is great.
Old 01-14-17, 04:52 PM
2GR
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Cool

For what it's worth I've used the Akebono's & Centric Posi-Quiet's on a couple of Nissan/Infiniti's and both have had low dust ,good stopping power, and quiet performance especially over "value" pads. BUT, I've noticed that the Akebono's squeal like crazy when I use them on a Fixed Caliper/Sport Brake System (e.g. 370z). I've tried every kind of lube and silencer but there's always cold temp squeal and reverse squeals. Sliding calipers are dead quiet for both brands of pads.
Old 01-14-17, 08:48 PM
badbwoy007
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Just to add my 2 cents, I love Akebono pads. I think the stopping power is great but even better is I don't have to spend hours washing off a mound of brake dust. It honestly takes longer to wash the car when OEM pads are on. I can't wait to get these nasty pads off my 16 GS. Will probably change them out this spring.
Old 01-14-17, 09:41 PM
kitra
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I don't want to trade braking performance for low dust

Originally Posted by bclexus
Some years ago a neighbor had aftermarket brake pads put on his BMW M3 to reduce the brake dust. He was 'into' having some racing mods on his street-driven M3. The fact is the new aftermarket brake pads he had installed didn't have the cold bite that his BMW OEM dusty pads had. The new pads were advertised to be 'low dust' and high-performance, but in reality they were more for track use and not a good choice for normal use on the streets. The new pads required the brakes to be heated-up before they had good stopping performance - something you just don't do with a street vehicle.

Long story short, he left his house one day on a cool fall morning and drove about ½ mile on a city street at 40 mph. He came to an stoplight intersection where the car ahead of him stopped rather abruptly when the light turned yellow. He was not following too closely, but when he applied his brakes his car did not stop in time because his [aftermarket] brakes were cold and didn't have the cold bite that vehicles with factory brakes universally have. His car rear-ended the car in front of him at relatively slow speed and the car he hit was pushed across the intersection where it was T-boned by a Ford F-350 pulling a heavily loaded trailer. One dead, one critically injured, and a seriously injured toddler.

Tail of the tape - the driver of the BMW, who caused the deadly accident, complained that his brakes did not stop his car quick enough. He blamed the brakes for the accident. He was asked if he had any brake work done recently... The brake pads he chose were chosen by him because they produced less brake dust yet was advertised to have equal or better stopping performance...but ONLY after the brakes were heated-up to optimum temperature, which is typical of many high-end aftermarket brake pads.

Bottom line - that man will never get over the fact that he caused the death of an 30-something year-old woman (cardiologist); the mother of a toddler child and the wife of a loving husband (anesthesiologist). The BMW owner was sued for many times the man's vehicle insurance coverage. I never heard what the final settlement totaled, but it entailed both medical as well a wrongful death personal injury lawsuit. The wrongful death personal injury lawsuit brought against the BMW owner was rumored to be for many millions of dollars that far exceeded the man's vehicle insurance coverage, as well as exceeding his net worth. Within 18 months the BMW owner (orthodontist, husband and father of two) filed for bankruptcy. I'd say this man made a very bad decision on which brake pads to install to reduce brake dust...
We had a 2000 Chrysler Sebring Limited Convert. I installed "Hawk HPS" pads. First few stops on a cold morning were scary. One warmed up, the pads worked very well.
Old 01-14-17, 09:51 PM
bearcav
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by kitra
Of the 4 choices at the start of this thread, does anyone know the pads friction ratings? I'm really curious about Raybestos EHT pads as they have a friction rating of "GG". They are a Ceramic/Metallic pad. I bet they dust a bit and wear the rotors but a "GG" friction rating is great.

EHT's should be GG.

Also, stole this from the BITOG forums:

E: coefficient of friction = .25 to.35
F: coefficient of friction = .35 to.45
G: coefficient of friction = .45 to.55

Duralast Gold - FE
Duralast Max - FF
Nissan Ceramic - FF
Toyota Ceramic - FG
Akebono ProAct - FG
Akebono Performance - GG
Wagner ThermoQuiet - GG
Performance Friction Carbon Metallic - GG

Wagner Thermoquiet's for the front can be had for $35 shipped Amazon prime. Rears are slightly less. Make sure the Thermoquiet part number starts with QC, not ZD. ZD was an older organic blend that is not GG rated. QC's are new ceramic and GG rated. For reference, for our cars (mine is a non-Fsport):
Front: QC1118
Rear: QC1391

EDIT: I had a Mazdaspeed3 with Hawk HPS and HP+ (HP Plus?) and the HP+ were amazing...once warmed up they out braked sticky summer tires but were noisy as hell cold and terrible for the street. HP+ is a GG rated pad.

Last edited by bearcav; 01-14-17 at 09:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Akebono vs Centric vs Brembo vs Stoptech - Brake Pads