GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2013 GS Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-16, 01:16 PM
davidollie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 GS Windshield Replacement

I just had an interesting experience going through replacing the windshield on my 2013 Lexus GS that I thought I'd post in hopes that the information will help someone else. It's a collection of a lot of different information I read about online and on these forums.

I bought my GS used a few weeks ago and had a rock that was kicked up start a crack on the left side that continued half way across the windshield to the right. My GS has a heated windshield along with rain sensing wipers.

I called to get a quote from the local dealership and they quoted it as $1600 plus tax. I called my insurance company (Geico) who said they would only pay $750 and that I'd have to pay the rest out of pocket if I wanted the dealership to perform the replacement. I can't verify but I heard that some insurance companies have a "Glass-Only" claims department that isn't the company themselves but a Safelite representative. I assume that is who I talked to but needless to say they wouldn't pay to replace what I had which was the original windshield. I explained that the quality and features of the windshield weren't the same but at the time had nothing specific to point to and they didn't budge.

I didn't want to pay the $1000 difference for a windshield so I called up the most reputable windshield repair company in my area and asked them what it would cost to replace the windshield with a premium windshield (not the safelite aftermarket but one made by Pilkington that is supposed to be similar to the original. They said they talked with the insurance and all I'd have to pay was the deductible.

I did some research and found out that the original windshield has a Titanium Silica layer that is applied at the factory that doesn't need to be reapplied and repels water so that it beads and runs off. When I went to the glass shop I showed them the difference by pouring water on my windshield vs the premium Pilkington they were going to put on and they agreed that it wasn't the same. They called the insurance company back and explained the difference and my insurance now said that I had some clause that allowed me to get original parts (this is why I think I was talking to Safelite representative originally) and that they approved the Lexus windshield.

The thing was a hassle but I'm happy I have the same windshield that I had before.

Insurance companies will try to use the "like quality and replacement" line and say that other windshields are the same when what I found is they are not.

Also if you look at the DOT number on the windshield you can look up where the windshield is manufactured DOT 20 being Japan where my Lexus Windshield was made by AGS Automotive.

Hope this helps someone.
Old 08-29-16, 06:42 PM
EnvyDiz
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

hmmm i have geico and they paid everything i didn't have to lay a single penny out. also we used safelite and it was OEM windshield
Old 08-29-16, 06:57 PM
davidollie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EnvyDiz
hmmm i have geico and they paid everything i didn't have to lay a single penny out. also we used safelite and it was OEM windshield
I would have loved that to be the case. My final bill from the windshield repair place did say safelite so not sure why on the phone they told me they would only pay $750 when they paid around $1100 through the claim. I assume they didn't want the dealership doing it as their quote was higher.
Old 09-01-16, 03:03 PM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Excellent information. I just purchased a 2010 RX450h last week which has a rock chip in the passenger view. Looks like it might have already been "repaired", but I'm considering chasing down a full replacement. I also have Geico with a zero deductible glass coverage rider, so I think I'll have to give them a call and see how the conversation goes.
Old 09-01-16, 08:09 PM
GSLexTexas
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Great info!!

So basically the best thing to do, if this happens to me, is have a glass shop contact my insurance company and have them tell the insurance company that my car requires OEM Lexus windshield b/c if you told your insurance company, they won't listen to you but they would listen to the glass shop. Gotcha
Old 09-07-16, 04:42 PM
scottp104
10th Gear

I have a GS300 Sport Design. Come to find out they made only 3,300 of them in 2002. I can't tell you what a hassle I am having to replace this windshield with OEM. Local dealer states that they have to get it from Japan because there is none in the country. Googled and they have one in Georgia. What a nightmare! They want to put in a POS windshield but I am willing to pay the 800 dollars they want to install it myself instead of going through the insurance company. Problem is I can't trust anyone anymore. I have been bouncing on the phone back and forth for two weeks, broken appointments, no callbacks. WFT?. Ok. So the car isn't special to them. But it is my baby and I spare no expense. All the windows have this insignia. Research also proves that actually Lexus doesn't make their own glass (obviously) but manufactured by PPG that year. I can't even get a PPG aftermarket? What do I need to do to get a damn OEM windshield?

Old 08-21-18, 01:49 PM
biacs
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I had to have Safe-lite come back with an OEM Lexus Gel Pad - that fixed the rain sensor problem.
Old 08-31-18, 12:26 PM
Mr. Klean
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a rock chip on mine that is starting to spread into a crack. I went to Lexus and they said (1), it has to be repaired before I return my lease and (2), it HAS TO BE an OEM windshield that goes on the car. They will not allow the lease return with an aftermarket windshield.
Old 08-31-18, 01:48 PM
mylehigh1
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Fortunately my GS350 windshield is OK. But I had a similar experience years ago with my 2001 BMW 740i. The BMW dealer claimed that the OEM windshield was actually a structural component and that the aftermarket glass was substandard, plus I would need new windshield frame parts or I would get wind noise. While that sounded like typical dealer BS I shared this information with Safelite and Liberty Mutual. They agreed to cover an OEM windshield but not the frame bits. I figured it was OK to reuse the frame parts if they said so. Sure enough I got wind noise that I had not heard before, but I could live with it.

Demand OEM replacement parts, including the seemingly minor bits.
Old 08-31-18, 05:02 PM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by mylehigh1
Fortunately my GS350 windshield is OK. But I had a similar experience years ago with my 2001 BMW 740i. The BMW dealer claimed that the OEM windshield was actually a structural component and that the aftermarket glass was substandard, plus I would need new windshield frame parts or I would get wind noise. While that sounded like typical dealer BS I shared this information with Safelite and Liberty Mutual. They agreed to cover an OEM windshield but not the frame bits. I figured it was OK to reuse the frame parts if they said so. Sure enough I got wind noise that I had not heard before, but I could live with it.

Demand OEM replacement parts, including the seemingly minor bits.
Damn right it is a structural component which is why whenever work is done on the windshield, you want to make sure you are getting it done by a qualified worker. It's not dealer BS, it's the truth.
Old 04-18-19, 04:54 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

This thread is a little old but I didn't want to start a new one. I've got a 2013 GS350 and I checked with a glass installer that my local Lexus dealership recommends. He's telling me about $490.00 total including the trim pieces and OEM glass. Also, he told me my VIN shows my windshield is the acoustic glass. I don't have glass coverage on my insurance so I'm paying cash. Does this sound like a good price or accurate? Searching through older threads, some prices people were throwing out were $1000-$1600 in 2015. Have they dropped that much since then?
Old 04-19-19, 03:12 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by davidollie
I just had an interesting experience going through replacing the windshield on my 2013 Lexus GS that I thought I'd post in hopes that the information will help someone else. It's a collection of a lot of different information I read about online and on these forums.

I bought my GS used a few weeks ago and had a rock that was kicked up start a crack on the left side that continued half way across the windshield to the right. My GS has a heated windshield along with rain sensing wipers.

I called to get a quote from the local dealership and they quoted it as $1600 plus tax. I called my insurance company (Geico) who said they would only pay $750 and that I'd have to pay the rest out of pocket if I wanted the dealership to perform the replacement. I can't verify but I heard that some insurance companies have a "Glass-Only" claims department that isn't the company themselves but a Safelite representative. I assume that is who I talked to but needless to say they wouldn't pay to replace what I had which was the original windshield. I explained that the quality and features of the windshield weren't the same but at the time had nothing specific to point to and they didn't budge.

I didn't want to pay the $1000 difference for a windshield so I called up the most reputable windshield repair company in my area and asked them what it would cost to replace the windshield with a premium windshield (not the safelite aftermarket but one made by Pilkington that is supposed to be similar to the original. They said they talked with the insurance and all I'd have to pay was the deductible.

I did some research and found out that the original windshield has a Titanium Silica layer that is applied at the factory that doesn't need to be reapplied and repels water so that it beads and runs off. When I went to the glass shop I showed them the difference by pouring water on my windshield vs the premium Pilkington they were going to put on and they agreed that it wasn't the same. They called the insurance company back and explained the difference and my insurance now said that I had some clause that allowed me to get original parts (this is why I think I was talking to Safelite representative originally) and that they approved the Lexus windshield.

The thing was a hassle but I'm happy I have the same windshield that I had before.

Insurance companies will try to use the "like quality and replacement" line and say that other windshields are the same when what I found is they are not.

Also if you look at the DOT number on the windshield you can look up where the windshield is manufactured DOT 20 being Japan where my Lexus Windshield was made by AGS Automotive.

Hope this helps someone.
I had this same issue when I had my BMW X5 windshield replaced, it was a hassle but you can get it replaced it just requires a lot of back and forth before they finally give in. Usually they wont replace your windshield with a OEM if it is over 3 years I think and over 40K miles. also I have Liberty Mutual so has nothing to do with insurance as you are correct it is a safelite representative that you are dealing with.
Old 04-19-19, 10:55 AM
thallium
Intermediate

Does anyone know why Safelite estimate would be about $1200.00 for "dealer" glass while I got two local estimates for OEM glass that were around $500.00. Safelite's "equivalent" or OEE "original equipment equivalent" was in the $500.00 range.

Are these local quotes giving me the equivalent glass and not the Lexus branded glass?
Old 04-19-19, 12:13 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,993 Likes on 1,416 Posts

Originally Posted by thallium
Does anyone know why Safelite estimate would be about $1200.00 for "dealer" glass while I got two local estimates for OEM glass that were around $500.00. Safelite's "equivalent" or OEE "original equipment equivalent" was in the $500.00 range.

Are these local quotes giving me the equivalent glass and not the Lexus branded glass?
The difference is in the meaning of the word 'equivalent'. The equivalent windshield will not have the Lexus name, and it is doubtful the glass will have the same specifications regarding glass imperfections, waviness, consistent thickness, hardness, size, etc. And, it may not even allow your car's features (e.g. rain sensor wipers) to work properly.
Old 04-19-19, 01:17 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bclexus
The difference is in the meaning of the word 'equivalent'. The equivalent windshield will not have the Lexus name, and it is doubtful the glass will have the same specifications regarding glass imperfections, waviness, consistent thickness, hardness, size, etc. And, it may not even allow your car's features (e.g. rain sensor wipers) to work properly.
I will need to pin down what they've given me estimates for. I asked for OEM which would not mean to me, equivalent, so given that, could the Lexus OEM glass be that cheap, $500 or so, or is it always $1000.00 plus?

Quick Reply: 2013 GS Windshield Replacement