GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Exact fuse to tap for a parking mode dash cam

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-16, 09:17 AM
Lucyfer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exact fuse to tap for a parking mode dash cam

Hi guys before I get flamed, I already did a few searches on hard wiring dash cams and some of the info still sound like Greek to me (or I haven't come across the right one yet). I also want to disclose that I managed to install a PS navigation bypass myself so I am comfortable doing electrical work with clear instructions. So being in doubt right now, I just wanted to double check so I don't fry anything.

For reference, this is what I have for the project:
DASHCAM https://www.amazon.com/Vantrue-R2-Ca...ywords=vantrue
FUSE HOLDER https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
HARDWIRE KIT https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The purpose: to install this dashcam in a 2016 GS that also records during parking mode.

Mainly, I am just looking for a quick answer on
1) which recommended fuse to tap (picture or exact description of location would be awesome)
2) what additional fuse I need to buy to plug in the fuse holder

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-22-16, 11:59 AM
mrkwinning
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure what you mean by parking mode but you may reconsider if you are planning to have the camera record 24/7 even when the car is off. This may cut suck a lot of power from your battery...
Old 07-22-16, 12:01 PM
Lucyfer
Rookie

Originally Posted by mrkwinning
Not sure what you mean by parking mode but you may reconsider if you are planning to have the camera record 24/7 even when the car is off. This may cut suck a lot of power from your battery...
Oh yeah there's an option to switch that on and off when I park. What I meant was that I want to make sure it can be powered if I choose to have parking mode on.
Old 07-23-16, 04:44 AM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

I've been on Parking mode for the last year. Meaning 24/7 recording, most high end dash cams have a low voltage auto cutoff so your battery will never die. If u haven't done it yet, I can take a picture on what fuse to tap.
The following users liked this post:
MOB561 (07-13-20)
Old 07-23-16, 05:37 AM
Lucyfer
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rozay604
I've been on Parking mode for the last year. Meaning 24/7 recording, most high end dash cams have a low voltage auto cutoff so your battery will never die. If u haven't done it yet, I can take a picture on what fuse to tap.
I haven't done it yet. If you can that will be great thanks Rozay!
Old 07-28-16, 02:54 PM
Lakersfan
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the power magic on mine. Had one wore tap to a fuse thats always hot and another wire to one thats only hot when the car is on.

Do you have 2 wires to connect or just one?
Old 07-28-16, 02:59 PM
Lakersfan
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok. Just looked at the kit. Guessing u tap to a fuse thats always hot. ill take a look to see which one i tapped. Oh and i used a 2amp fuse, which are a bi tch to find. Im sure it says whats the max amps it can take on the manual somewhere.
Old 07-29-16, 06:50 PM
Lucyfer
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lakersfan
Ok. Just looked at the kit. Guessing u tap to a fuse thats always hot. ill take a look to see which one i tapped. Oh and i used a 2amp fuse, which are a bi tch to find. Im sure it says whats the max amps it can take on the manual somewhere.
Thanks can you snap a pic? Appreciate it!
Old 07-30-16, 08:19 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucyfer
Hi guys before I get flamed, I already did a few searches on hard wiring dash cams and some of the info still sound like Greek to me (or I haven't come across the right one yet). I also want to disclose that I managed to install a PS navigation bypass myself so I am comfortable doing electrical work with clear instructions. So being in doubt right now, I just wanted to double check so I don't fry anything.

For reference, this is what I have for the project:
DASHCAM https://www.amazon.com/Vantrue-R2-Ca...ywords=vantrue
FUSE HOLDER https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
HARDWIRE KIT https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The purpose: to install this dashcam in a 2016 GS that also records during parking mode.

Mainly, I am just looking for a quick answer on
1) which recommended fuse to tap (picture or exact description of location would be awesome)
2) what additional fuse I need to buy to plug in the fuse holder

Thanks in advance!
Thanks for sharing the links. I'm going to order the "tap a circuit" and hard wire kit myself. I don't think using a "always on" circuit will be a problem, as the hard wire kit is supposed to have a feature that keeps the camera from draining the battery too much. Right? That is exactly why I am ordering it.

You shouldn't need to purchase a fuse for the fuse holder, as you will be using the fuse from you fuse box. If I understand this correctly, you'll remove a fuse from the box and insert the new holder in that empty space. The removed fuse will then be installed into the holder.

I have a 2015 GS and found an "always hot" source in the front passenger foot well area. There is a panel under the glove box door that is easily removed. The open connector is attached to that panel. I am not certain what it would be for, but the wires are a larger gauge and it's worked very well for me for a couple of weeks. I'm going to install the hard-wire kit to add a layer of protection (fuse and battery drain circuitry).
Old 08-01-16, 11:23 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

I just installed the hard wire kit and it worked for me perfectly. I used a constant 12V source that I located under the glove box. I removed both the panel cover on the passenger side of the dash and the one under the glove box.

Old 08-01-16, 11:24 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

I crimped a spade terminal on the kit's power wire and inserted into the empty connector. The metal exposed once the dash panel was removed was used for the ground wire (self tapping screw).

Old 08-01-16, 11:26 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

I ran the USB micro wire up the A pillar and into the edge of the headliner near the windshield.

Old 08-01-16, 11:27 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

From there I routed the wire in the overhead console area and to the camera mounted on my windshield.

Old 08-01-16, 11:29 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Snapped the panels back into place and all set. If the hard wire kit does its job, I will not have to worry about draining the battery when the car sits unused.

The following users liked this post:
LatinLS430 (05-02-17)
Old 05-02-17, 08:48 PM
veez81
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

did you ever find out which fuse on the passenger side is "always hot"? i want to hotwire a thinkware 770 and want to use the parking mode. i found the fuse index from the manual but im not sure which one to use. i've seen slot 6 used in other posts as ACC.

Quick Reply: Exact fuse to tap for a parking mode dash cam