GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Windshield Replacement - Need Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-16, 12:05 PM
2014GS350F
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Windshield Replacement - Need Feedback

I took a rock to the my windshield last weekend from a semi. It started as a chip and a couple days later it turned into a 12 inch crack, now I need to replace the windshield. I called the trucking company and as you might suspect, they denied any responsibility. I called my insurance company and reviewed my policy and I don't have supplemental windshield coverage with little to no deductible, so I'm subjected to covering it under comp which is a $500 deductible on my policy. So I called around on pricing....Lexus $1,400, Safelite $680, Auto Glass Now $550, Harmon Auto Glass/Glass Doctor $280. I'm thinking of going with the Harmon Auto Glass/Glass Doctor at $280 but want to see if anyone has had their windshield replaced with a lower cost windshield and had any issues. They asked if I have the HUD (which I don't), heated wiper area (which I don't), rain sensing wipers (I do), blind spot warning (I do) - so it sounds like they are making sure they're covering their bases and getting the right windshield and parts they need. I also confirmed they provide a 12 month warranty against breakage and a lifetime warranty against leakage. She also said the windshield includes some soundproofing and blue tinting at the top which I assume is standard.

I've read some of the prior posts on this topic but most are dated, filled with opinions without experience, but I'm looking for feedback from those of you who have been down this road....such as any specific issues with window replacement using non-OEM parts....rain sensing wipers not working correctly?, blind spot monitoring not working correctly?, leakage?, noise?, etc. Or does none of this really occur and glass is glass for the most part?

Any specific feedback (success and issues) from those of you who have had your windshield replaced with non-OEM parts will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by 2014GS350F; 07-14-16 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-14-16, 12:10 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

as long as the windshield is not made in china, you are good to go.

never had an issue with any of my aftermarket replacements. In fact, my $250 replacement was a plinkton? or whatever the name was.

I think the biggest difference is the install itself and the sealant. it comes down to the installer.. they could make it 95% job or a 80% job. I got the 80% job once.. didn't like it at all.

P.S. I've had it done on cars with rain-sensing wipers and homelink (auto-dimming), but not HUD or BSM. I thought BSM was related to the side view mirror, not rear view, but I might be wrong.
Old 07-14-16, 12:22 PM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I am on my third windshield in less than a year... The one I have now (Safelite brand) is actually holding up better than Lexus.
Old 07-14-16, 12:34 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Do you own the car, or is it a lease? If it is a lease - I'm told that you don't want to use anything but an OE replacement. Also, I'm told that if you own the car and decide to trade it in at a Lexus dealership, they will give you less (the cost of replacing the windshield) in trade because they won't be able to CPO the car with an aftermarket windshield. You may want to check with an authority to see if this is correct...
Old 07-14-16, 12:52 PM
2014GS350F
Driver

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
as long as the windshield is not made in china, you are good to go.

never had an issue with any of my aftermarket replacements. In fact, my $250 replacement was a plinkton? or whatever the name was.

I think the biggest difference is the install itself and the sealant. it comes down to the installer.. they could make it 95% job or a 80% job. I got the 80% job once.. didn't like it at all.

P.S. I've had it done on cars with rain-sensing wipers and homelink (auto-dimming), but not HUD or BSM. I thought BSM was related to the side view mirror, not rear view, but I might be wrong.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll call and check on where the windshield was manufactured and what brand it is.
Old 07-14-16, 12:54 PM
2014GS350F
Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
Do you own the car, or is it a lease? If it is a lease - I'm told that you don't want to use anything but an OE replacement. Also, I'm told that if you own the car and decide to trade it in at a Lexus dealership, they will give you less (the cost of replacing the windshield) in trade because they won't be able to CPO the car with an aftermarket windshield. You may want to check with an authority to see if this is correct...
I own it. I think if I can get comfortable with purchasing the non-OEM at a substantial savings I'll go that route and take my chances with someone noticing if I have a non-OEM windshield at trade-in.
Old 07-14-16, 01:27 PM
2014GS350F
Driver

Correction....I do have the heated windshield and it's not blind spot monitoring it's lane departure which I don't have. So when I called to figure out what the increased cost from Glass Doctor is for the windshield including heat, it went from $282 to $855!!!! Back to the drawing board! Ugh!

Last edited by 2014GS350F; 07-14-16 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-14-16, 01:57 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 2014GS350F
I own it. I think if I can get comfortable with purchasing the non-OEM at a substantial savings I'll go that route and take my chances with someone noticing if I have a non-OEM windshield at trade-in.
I have done OEM and non-oem on my other cars before and like someone earlier said, it is more about the install than the windshield as long as the glass meets accessory requirements (rain sensor, etc.) and does not have waves/scratches in it.

I did an OEM replacement on one of my cars I bought new after the factory glass cracked and it was expensive. It was funny, when the glass guy pulled my factory windshield off, he commented the manufacturer install on the glass was the best he ever saw for any brand (it was an Acura TL). The replacement OEM glass cracked again after a year. I decided to go aftermarket because I did not want to pay a lot again and the aftermarket glass was just as clear and clean and never cracked the seven additional years I had the car even though it took some really hard hits from rocks and debris.
Old 07-14-16, 03:00 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
That's not actually true. You won't be charged at lease end if the windshield is aftermarket.

I can CPO a car with a properly installed aftermarket windshield, however if I have to replace a windshield as part of the CPO process then I have to use an OE windshield. Similar to brake pads.

As long as the windshield in a car does not affect operation of any systems (rain sensing wipers, etc) and isn't damaged then I wouldn't affect a trade-in's appraisal value either.
Old 07-15-16, 07:02 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a terrible experience with Safelite replacing the windshield on my Lexus. $800 of damage done to the wood on my dash and damage to the headliner from them using a razor blade to remove the old windshield. I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy.

Last edited by rjm; 07-15-16 at 07:06 AM.
Old 07-15-16, 09:00 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by rjm
I had a terrible experience with Safelite replacing the windshield on my Lexus. $800 of damage done to the wood on my dash and damage to the headliner from them using a razor blade to remove the old windshield. I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy.
That is horrible! I would be so upset!
Old 07-15-16, 09:46 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CottageChz
That is horrible! I would be so upset!
The worst part was they wouldn't acknowledge that the damage was done by them when there was glue residue dripped all over the wood panels on the dash and razor cuts in the headliner showing under the window trim.. I had to show them I had initiated a lawsuit to recover damages before they got serious about it. I don't want to be critical of all Safelite stores. My problems occurred at the Safelite store on Rufe Snow in Fort Worth.
Old 07-15-16, 12:34 PM
MTerrence
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2014GS350F
Correction....I do have the heated windshield and it's not blind spot monitoring it's lane departure which I don't have. So when I called to figure out what the increased cost from Glass Doctor is for the windshield including heat, it went from $282 to $855!!!! Back to the drawing board! Ugh!
If you're stuck paying a $500 deductible, you might as well just go with the dealer.
Old 07-16-16, 05:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

No way in the world I would put a $280 aftermarket windshield in my Lexus. A comprehensive claim won't hurt your rates, for $220 more getting a $1400 Lexus OEM windshield you know will be exactly what you had from the get go is a no brainier IMHO.

I've had too many issues with wavy glass, tint that doesn't match, etc.
Old 07-16-16, 07:30 AM
2014GS350F
Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
No way in the world I would put a $280 aftermarket windshield in my Lexus. A comprehensive claim won't hurt your rates, for $220 more getting a $1400 Lexus OEM windshield you know will be exactly what you had from the get go is a no brainier IMHO.

I've had too many issues with wavy glass, tint that doesn't match, etc.
Yeah I'm going with Lexus and filing a claim with my insurance. When I thought I had an option at $280 it made me think but now that $680 is my best deal with Safelite, it just makes sense to bite the bullet, file a claim and pay my deductible and call it a day.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Quick Reply: Windshield Replacement - Need Feedback