Considering a used GS350 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-16, 11:48 AM
MTerrence
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Considering a used GS350 AWD

Hello CL forum!

I'm getting a bit sick of my current vehicle: a 2013 Honda Accord Touring V6, which I've owned since it was new.

I'm not sure how to put it; it feels kind of like my Accord is the Platonic ideal of a cheap car, perfected. It's safe, reliable, economical, can mostly get out of its own way, is very easy to drive and use, and has plenty of nice features... but otherwise, it feels as though it could have cost $15k new. Let me explain.

The J35Y1 is a good engine, ruined; it has been hamstrung by a slow, dumb and rough transmission and an asinine cylinder deactivation system. The suspension, very clearly Honda's first attempt at MacPherson struts on a midsize car, responds to any sort of imperfection by being thrown into utter confusion and immediately losing any ability to provide either handling or comfort. The stereo is a sad joke, the sound deadening might as well be nonexistent, and the paint is so soft that it would chip if someone flung so much as a harsh word its way.

In short, I am left with the sad conclusion that it is worse than the 2005 Accord I used to own.

I drove a new Lexus ES350 the other day in the hopes of upgrading, but it honestly didn't feel like it was enough of an improvement to justify the expense. Maybe I've just been conditioned to see it that way, but I guess I felt too much of a Camry (Avalon, really) in it. I figured I'd just be shopping for a new car in a couple of years anyway. This brings me to where I am now.

Back when I was shopping for my current vehicle, I was lucky enough to drive a 2013 Lexus GS. It was out of my price range at the time, but absolutely spectacular. I absolutely loved the thing and how it drove.

While a properly-equipped new GS is still out of my price range - they can get to over $70k on this side of the border - I can now afford a used model.

Being that this is the frozen and cold north and I prefer a more luxurious ride to a sportier one, AWD is my only option.

Is there anything I should know? Are there any years in particular I should be looking to avoid on account of reliability problems or for having missed a critical update? Any major model changes between 2013, 2014 or 2015? I know that the RWD version got an eight-speed auto in '14, but I'm looking for an AWD car so that won't help me much.

Thanks a ton.
Old 05-19-16, 12:27 PM
lexlove93
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will be interesting. I just picked up a 13 GS350 AWD...traded a v6 Honda Crosstour... the GS is such a more refined car. We all knew that though

Last edited by lexlove93; 05-19-16 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-19-16, 01:41 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,134 Likes on 841 Posts

My cousin has a 2014 Accord Sport. I drove it and thought the drive was good (I didn't have any specific expectations as I understand the type of target market for the car and the type of driver).

The 4th Gen GS is a terrific performing and handling car with the reliability and fit and finish you expect from this type of car. Some feel its under powered but thats a different discussion.

Any model year 4GS will satisfy your needs. If you want the most updated interfaces and touches in the used market, try to get a used '15. If you are looking to get your feet wet, get a '13 with around 50k miles and you'll save $$$ as nicely equipped, certified AWD models can be had for around $30-$32k. Even better, look for one with the Lux pkg like this one: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...0385/overview/

The car is an overall outstanding value in the category. My biggest gripe has been gas mileage but I don't drive enough for it to matter too much.

This thread will help you with some differences in model years '13-'15: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-upgrades.html

Last edited by AJLex19; 05-19-16 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-09-16, 08:23 AM
MTerrence
Rookie

I am happy to report that I am now the owner of a fully loaded 2013 Lexus GS 350 Technology+ Package, meteor blue over saddle tan.

It had every feature available in Canada, which was essentially everything that was available in the USA plus a power trunk and minus Enform and lane keeping assist. Not sure whether I got the better of that one.

I was quite surprised to discover that my car, while possessed of most of the cold weather package features (a heated steering wheel, headlight washers, wiper de-icer and heated rear seats - and hopefully, the high-intensity heater), did not in fact have the acoustic laminated front side windows. Which is a real shame, as that's an awesome luxury feature. I wonder if it's an upgrade that can be done?

You were right - the mileage on this car is pretty bad so far. I wish the gas tank was bigger; I was getting kind of spoiled by being able to go 700km+ between fuellings.

Are there any common upgrades that everyone thinks is really worth it? Anything else I should know as a new owner?

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by MTerrence; 06-09-16 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-09-16, 09:28 AM
jinino
Rookie

MTerrence,

Congrats to your purchase. I also recently got 2013 4GS AWD with every options available in Canada. Can you share where do you see our model does not come with acoustic laminated front side windows? Also does your car come with night vision? This is the one rare gadget that come with tech+ package.

In terms of fuel economy, I am on my second tank so far. The first full tank is provided by dealer and the mileage is poor (440km to empty with econ mode on all time). I think it is due to inferior gasoline they fill up. I refill with Chevron 94 for my second tank. With 1 more scale to go the mileage driven so far is 450km with econ mode on all the time. You can try higher grade of gasoline in your area. Mind you my car being a 2013 model has less than 10.2k km when I pick her up.

Anyway good luck with your new baby!
Old 06-09-16, 10:01 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Congrats on the purchase! A few upgrade suggestions:

-All Season Mats might be worthwhile in Canada
-Illuminated Door Sills
-LED Trunk lighting (stock lighting in the trunk is horrible - Diode Dynamics makes a nice LED board for the GS trunk)

Enjoy and post some pics!
Old 06-09-16, 10:38 AM
MTerrence
Rookie

Yep! My car does have night vision, though I'll admit I haven't had a chance to put it through its paces properly yet.

As for the windows, there are three good ways to tell, based on my experience with other Lexuses.

1) Lexus-branded windows that are tempered go by the name "Temperlite". The laminated ones are labeled "Lamisafe."
2) Laminated auto glass usually is marked AS1, which refers to laminated glass of greater than 70% optical transmission. Tempered auto glass is marked AS2, which is the same except that it's not laminated. AS3 refers to tempered glass of any opacity - you'll typically find it on sunroofs or the backs of SUVs.
3) When examining the glass itself, tempered glass has a convex rounded top whereas laminated glass has a dimpled, slightly concave top.

I suppose I can't speak for all Canadian vehicles, but mine definitely has the tempered glass.

Good suggestion on the trunk light upgrade and the illuminated door sill.

My next steps, after determining whether the front windows can feasibly be replaced, will be to get 3M Crystalline tint, probably 60%.

I've already got the all-season mats, but I'm considering Lloyd luxe mats.

Last edited by MTerrence; 06-09-16 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-09-16, 11:19 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Tough to find an exciting car that gets great gas mileage unless it's a Tesla. Congrats on the new ride.
Old 06-09-16, 06:18 PM
jinino
Rookie

Thx for the explanation MTerrence. Going to ask the quote for those Lamisafe. I think I got Temperlite too.
Curious which gasoline brand & grade you fill up your car?

AJLex19, do you know any DIY website to help installing the side sill light?
Old 06-09-16, 06:31 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jinino
AJLex19, do you know any DIY website to help installing the side sill light?
There are a few videos on clublexus/youtube showing how to do this. If you have the right tools/time its definitely something you can do yourself. The dealer had quoted me an outrageous price for installation which made me do it myself.

The following thread has some videos and helpful tips:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-fsport-2.html
Old 06-09-16, 07:51 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Congrats on the new car!

+1 to the Diode Dynamics trunk light. Seriously, WOW, I can see inside my trunk now!
+1 to all-weather floor mats. My research said get something non-OEM, like WeatherTech (what I got). I would've preferred one that covers the hump in the rear, but I didn't find any.

Some people like to vinyl wrap things, some don't.

Tires are another common upgrade, not sure what's on yours now.
Old 06-10-16, 07:10 AM
JDub23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the purchase! Yeah WeatherTechs are great. I got them immediately after I got my car to help keep the salt off the carpet.
Old 06-10-16, 08:06 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 172 Likes on 121 Posts

Congrats on the purchase! Post some pictures
Old 06-12-16, 08:55 AM
Cathy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MTerrence
I am happy to report that I am now the owner of a fully loaded 2013 Lexus GS 350 Technology+ Package, meteor blue over saddle tan.

It had every feature available in Canada, which was essentially everything that was available in the USA plus a power trunk and minus Enform and lane keeping assist. Not sure whether I got the better of that one.

I was quite surprised to discover that my car, while possessed of most of the cold weather package features (a heated steering wheel, headlight washers, wiper de-icer and heated rear seats - and hopefully, the high-intensity heater), did not in fact have the acoustic laminated front side windows. Which is a real shame, as that's an awesome luxury feature. I wonder if it's an upgrade that can be done?

You were right - the mileage on this car is pretty bad so far. I wish the gas tank was bigger; I was getting kind of spoiled by being able to go 700km+ between fuellings.

Are there any common upgrades that everyone thinks is really worth it? Anything else I should know as a new owner?

Thanks a bunch!
Congrats! I've been looking for that color combination but can't find it and had to settle for black exterior with coffee interior with tech plus. I paid $47000 cad taxes included last year June CPO with 41000km at Lexus on the park. Can you tell his the odometer reading on your car, price and where you bought it?
Old 06-14-16, 10:32 AM
MTerrence
Rookie

Hey folks,

Here're some pictures, as requested. I haven't done anything to it yet, but that should help give you an idea of the colour scheme.
Attached Thumbnails Considering a used GS350 AWD-outside-1.jpg   Considering a used GS350 AWD-outside-2.jpg   Considering a used GS350 AWD-outside-3.jpg   Considering a used GS350 AWD-paint.jpg   Considering a used GS350 AWD-underground-1.jpg  

Considering a used GS350 AWD-underground-2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Considering a used GS350 AWD