GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

All Season Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-16, 08:41 AM
MuskyHuntr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default All Season Tires

I searched for the forum and looks like most previous threads about tire choices were from posters who run performance summer tires. I live in a northern climate and want to run AS tires on my F Sport. Torn between the new P7's and Michelins. I had Michelin's on other cars because they were quiet but they sucked in the rain. Most reviews like the performance of the P7's but some comment on how noisy they are. Anyone here have them on their GS? How noisy are they?

Thanks.
Old 03-25-16, 09:10 AM
ricam78
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Not a fan of Continentals production methods as they like to run ou of stock often BUT their new DWS 06 tires have good reviews. Have you done any research on those?
Old 03-25-16, 09:55 AM
trbosmitty
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a set of Continental DSW 06's on my 13' GS 350 for a week now and I can't wait to trade them in for some Michelins. The Continentals were perfect until I reached cruising speeds on the interstate (70-80mph) and they would start to vibrate. I had discount tire rebalance them and they found them to be within limits. Vibrations were still felt the following day so I returned that afternoon to have same tire shop to a forced road test to check for any imperfections in the tire. The tech found the rear driver side tire needed to be re-seated and to bring it in again if that didn't fix the problem. Once again the vibrations were there, only this time not nearly as bad. On Wednesday night I after taking a sharp winding turn to enter the freeway I felt the vibration return only this time it was really bad. I remember reading a review on tirerack that mentioned the sidewalls were soft and could cause vibration after tight turns. My overall experience did not match all the great reviews I read about. Leads me to believe I purchased a faulty set of tires. As far as road noise both in the city and interstate I can give two thumbs up. From what I've test; the grip from turns and braking feel very solid. I've only had the tires for a week so my review is not a very solid one. I will be exchanging the DSW 06's for set of Michelin Primacy's in hopes for better results. (Side note-tire size is 235/45/18)
Old 03-25-16, 10:06 AM
ricam78
Pole Position

Originally Posted by trbosmitty
I have a set of Continental DSW 06's on my 13' GS 350 for a week now and I can't wait to trade them in for some Michelins. The Continentals were perfect until I reached cruising speeds on the interstate (70-80mph) and they would start to vibrate. I had discount tire rebalance them and they found them to be within limits. Vibrations were still felt the following day so I returned that afternoon to have same tire shop to a forced road test to check for any imperfections in the tire. The tech found the rear driver side tire needed to be re-seated and to bring it in again if that didn't fix the problem. Once again the vibrations were there, only this time not nearly as bad. On Wednesday night I after taking a sharp winding turn to enter the freeway I felt the vibration return only this time it was really bad. I remember reading a review on tirerack that mentioned the sidewalls were soft and could cause vibration after tight turns. My overall experience did not match all the great reviews I read about. Leads me to believe I purchased a faulty set of tires. As far as road noise both in the city and interstate I can give two thumbs up. From what I've test; the grip from turns and braking feel very solid. I've only had the tires for a week so my review is not a very solid one. I will be exchanging the DSW 06's for set of Michelin Primacy's in hopes for better results. (Side note-tire size is 235/45/18)
Very interesting..and scary. The 06 models supposedly fixed the soft sidewall issues that the original DWS models had. For what it is worth, I am loving my A/S 3 Michelins. I almost went with the DWS 06's though but now glad I didnt.
Old 03-25-16, 10:29 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ricam78
Not a fan of Continentals production methods as they like to run ou of stock often BUT their new DWS 06 tires have good reviews. Have you done any research on those?
For Continentals, go one size wider and the selection should be better and prices should lower. Instead of 235/40-19 go for 245/40-19.
Old 03-25-16, 10:38 AM
ricam78
Pole Position

Originally Posted by islandbeef
For Continentals, go one size wider and the selection should be better and prices should lower. Instead of 235/40-19 go for 245/40-19.
I did and still no stock AFTER I paid and placed the order through Discount Tire. They burnt me once on my Audi which was 245/45/19 as a month into ownership I had a non repairable hole and even though I had the DIscount Tire warranty which got me a free tire there were no 245/45/19 DWS's in the country so I was stuck....I ended up having to trade in all my tires and pay something to move up to A/S 3's for the car. I was not a happy camper.
Old 03-25-16, 10:45 AM
PDF84
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by trbosmitty
Hmm, I also have the Continental DSW 06's on my 13' GS and I absolutely love them. They ride smooth, quiet and have really good traction in all conditions along with excellent tread ware (Mine are 245/35/20 front and 275/30/20 rears)
Attached Thumbnails All Season Tires-asdfadgsdfgas.jpg  
Old 03-25-16, 11:09 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by MuskyHuntr
I searched for the forum and looks like most previous threads about tire choices were from posters who run performance summer tires. I live in a northern climate and want to run AS tires on my F Sport. Torn between the new P7's and Michelins. I had Michelin's on other cars because they were quiet but they sucked in the rain. Most reviews like the performance of the P7's but some comment on how noisy they are. Anyone here have them on their GS? How noisy are they?

Thanks.
I'm not a GS owner, but do have the Pirelli P7 Cinturato All season PLUS on my ES350 (215/55/17) I've had them on for about 6-7k miles.
I can say without any reservation that these Pirelli's are the quietest tire I have owned on any car bar none. I have had many other brands over the years
including MIchelins including on this car as well. They were the Primacy MXV4 which aren't available any more from MIchelin. They were good tires though, but didn't get great mileage out of them.

I will say the Pirelli's are NOT a "bawls to the wall" performance tire if that's what your looking for.

If you want a very quiet, smooth & competent everyday tire I think you can't go wrong with the Pirelli's.

I even talked my father in law into putting them onto his late model Toyota Avalon which uses 225/45/18
It came with the OEM Bridgestones on it.
The Pirelli's were a huge improvement. Far quieter and smoother especially over bumps.
The Bridgestones were brutal in comparison.

Last edited by NJLEXES; 03-25-16 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-25-16, 12:53 PM
trbosmitty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PDF84
Hmm, I also have the Continental DSW 06's on my 13' GS and I absolutely love them. They ride smooth, quiet and have really good traction in all conditions along with excellent tread ware (Mine are 245/35/20 front and 275/30/20 rears)

I honestly think I have a bad set of tires.
Old 03-25-16, 01:26 PM
puffdaddy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the Michelin Sport A/S 3s as well (in 245/40) and am happy with them. I got back from a 3 hour slog in drizzle to downpours yesterday and they felt PLANTED at 75+ on the interstate. If you want a tire that is sporty and good in most weather, they are hard to beat. If you want the utmost in comfort and quite, there may be other choices..
I still prefer the Pilot Super Sports and snows, but didn't want to have to buy another set of rims. The A/S3s performed well, surprisingly well actually, this Winter. They have very little wear showing so far, which I couldn't say with the PSSs at this point. When it comes time to replace them I will get the same tires, or go back to the PSS and snows. The car will be paid off and I'll be able to justify putting the extra money in it. No payments=more goodies
Old 03-28-16, 06:08 AM
MuskyHuntr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a set of DWS on my Acura until two years ago. They were the biggest POS I ever had on a car. I couldn't want to get rid of them. The sidewalls were mush. They were quiet for a while then gradually became excessively noisy after a year.
Old 03-28-16, 07:17 AM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a set of dws on my 2010 TL shawd for 2 days that discount put on....worst tire ever, very sloppy on the highway to the point where I was a nervous wreck driving the damn car....I switched out to Bridgestone potenzas re 970 a/s...great tire for all around performance/weather
Old 03-28-16, 11:29 AM
1fuzzybk
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the DWS on my previous car, 03 Lincoln LS. The sidewalls were a little soft compared to the Bridgestones that were on the car when I bought it used. I really liked the tires for low noise and winter (slick) grip. They were on the car for for about 4 years before I got rid of the car for the GS.
Old 03-29-16, 11:04 AM
trbosmitty
Pole Position

Discount Tire replaced my DWS 06 with Michelin Primacy's yesterday. There's still some vibration at (70-80mph)

I found a post stating to have a force road balance done and have them tested to less than 10lbs.

Just wondering what my options are for troubleshooting?
Old 03-30-16, 10:40 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

MuskyHuntr: Have the Pirelli P7's on my dad's GS...very quiet and comfortable. Not as sticky as the stock Dunlop Sport 5100's but provides a more compliant ride.

Quick Reply: All Season Tires